OT: Babies and hiking (was Re: Grasshopper arrived!)

  • Sonjia <sonjialeyva@netscape.net>
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2003
      Well, at the moment she likes most veggies, teething biscuits and
      turkey. She hates fruit and most cereals.

      We think we'll keep her, too. She's kinda cute - although the
      cuteness wears thin at 2am.

      I know some BGTers have babies/toddlers and have taken them out on
      long hikes/short backpacking trips. We've never done anything more
      than sort (1-2 mile) hikes. Any suggestions?

      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Chief Moderator"
      <ChiefModerator@B...> wrote:
      > WOW! What are you feeding that kid???...... ;o) Time flys, doesn't it.
      > She's a keeper.
      > Jerry

    • J Cornelius
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2003
        One thing about kids - you can't live with 'em (especially in the teen
        years) and you can't give 'em back! Enjoy 'em while you can!
        Jodi who is now a gramma (became one at 38 <sigh>) and is DEFINITELY
        enjoying the 2's of her grandson!

        Abnormality IS the normality at this locality!

        <ChiefModerator@B...> wrote:
        > WOW! What are you feeding that kid???...... ;o) Time flys, doesn't
        it.
        > She's a keeper.
        > Jerry

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705
        066005:HM/A=1464858/R=0/*http:/www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_Cquo
        _1/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egrou
        pmail/S=:HM/A=1464858/rand=645272228>

      • Shane Steinkamp
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2003
          > One thing about kids - you can't live with 'em (especially
          > in the teen years) and you can't give 'em back! Enjoy 'em
          > while you can!

          I told my wife that if we have a second child that I want to re-negotiate
          the warranty. The warranty we got on the first one just wasn't there... ;)

          North Carolina is cold, wet, dreary, and quaint in a strangely disturbing
          way. Fortunately, my friends have a very nice fireplace...

          Shane
        • Emma Eyeball <tarbubble@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 2, 2003
            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Sonjia <sonjialeyva@n...>"
            <sonjialeyva@n...> wrote:

            > I know some BGTers have babies/toddlers and have taken them out on
            > long hikes/short backpacking trips. We've never done anything more
            > than sort (1-2 mile) hikes. Any suggestions?

            hi Sonjia,

            i'm a newbie here on BGT, nice to "meet" you. i moderate a small
            Yahoo list called "Backpacking with Children,"
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/backpackingwithchildren/
            and i have so far taken my 10-month-old son on 2 backpacking trips
            (one 2-nighter, one 1-nighter), and countless dayhikes (he just
            bagged his first peak yesterday). i have plenty more planned for
            spring, and we are ambitiously planning to take him at least halfway
            with us on the John Muir Trail this summer (he'll be 16 months when
            we start). i'd be more than happy to answer any questions you might
            have, or that any other BGT-ers might have about taking wee ones out
            into the wilds. and if i can't answer them, i'll find someody who
            can. ;)

            and hey, on your site you say you're from S. California. i live in
            Orange County - if you're still around here, let's make plans to do
            some baby hiking! tarbubble at yahoo dot com.

            -emma
          • Jamie <jdeben@hotmail.com>
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 2, 2003
              Sonjia,
              I can vouch for Emma's yahoo group. She recruted me a few months ago.
              I've learned lot so useful stuff of kid carryin'. The people are
              really nice and helpful on the site too. Come join us.

              I'm not in s. cali, but Phx isn't too far a way. Maybe one day we
              can meet in the middle.

              Jamie in AZ

              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Emma Eyeball
              <tarbubble@y...>" <tarbubble@y...> wrote:
              > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Sonjia
              <sonjialeyva@n...>"
              > <sonjialeyva@n...> wrote:
              >
              > > I know some BGTers have babies/toddlers and have taken them out on
              > > long hikes/short backpacking trips. We've never done anything
              more
              > > than sort (1-2 mile) hikes. Any suggestions?
              >
              > hi Sonjia,
              >
              > i'm a newbie here on BGT, nice to "meet" you. i moderate a small
              > Yahoo list called "Backpacking with Children,"
              > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/backpackingwithchildren/
              > and i have so far taken my 10-month-old son on 2 backpacking trips
              > (one 2-nighter, one 1-nighter), and countless dayhikes (he just
              > bagged his first peak yesterday). i have plenty more planned for
              > spring, and we are ambitiously planning to take him at least
              halfway
              > with us on the John Muir Trail this summer (he'll be 16 months when
              > we start). i'd be more than happy to answer any questions you
              might
              > have, or that any other BGT-ers might have about taking wee ones
              out
              > into the wilds. and if i can't answer them, i'll find someody who
              > can. ;)
              >
              > and hey, on your site you say you're from S. California. i live in
              > Orange County - if you're still around here, let's make plans to do
              > some baby hiking! tarbubble at yahoo dot com.
              >
              > -emma
            • Nathan
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 3, 2003
                Sarah and I have taken Holly out on dozens of hikes (she's 14 months last
                week) and one weekend trip. She has done very well on all of them. Holly can
                only take about an hour to an hour and a half in a carrier at a time. She
                loves leaves and likes to carry on a conversation, especially w/ mom. We try
                to take a variety of small toys and finger snacks. Holly breastfeeds, so
                that saves us on food, but Sarah has to come on all of our outings. Our
                overnight was business trip. We outfitters and a group of Girl Scouts
                contracted w/ us. That was a lot of fun. Babysitters galore! If any of the
                girl scouts complained about being out, they would point to Holly, who was
                enjoying every minute of it, and that changed everything. Our suggestion
                would be, take your little one out as much as possible, let him/her play
                with everything (but the poisonous stuff) and teach him/her to enjoy the
                outside. Have fun with your Grasshopper...still waiting on mine. Nathan

                <ChiefModerator@B...> wrote:
                > WOW! What are you feeding that kid???...... ;o) Time flys, doesn't it.
                > She's a keeper.
                > Jerry

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Sonjia <sonjialeyva@netscape.net>
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 3, 2003
                  Emma

                  Well, where was that site last summer???? Probably right there, under
                  my nose (like most things lately).

                  I'll hop over there and take a look. Julia's in daycare full-time now
                  (sniff, sniff). The game plan was to take her out on dayhikes during
                  the week. Somehow that never happened. Weekends, however, are still
                  open. I'd love to get together with you (and other So Cal BGTers) to
                  do a day hike. Gotta test that Grasshopper!

                  Sonjia
                • Andrew Priest
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 3, 2003
                    At 03:32 AM 04/03/2003, you wrote:
                    >Emma
                    >
                    >Well, where was that site last summer???? Probably right there, under
                    >my nose (like most things lately).

                    Hi Folks

                    where it is more appropriate.

                    Regards