Re: Grasshopper arrived!

  • Sonjia <sonjialeyva@netscape.net>
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2003
      Marge

      At Christmas, she could barely stand to be on her tummy. Now she's
      standing and starting to walk! Soon she'll need itty bitty hiking
      boots . . .

      We'll take more (and better) pictures for the reports.

      Sonjia

      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Marge Prothman" <marge@p...>

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2003
        Well, at the moment she likes most veggies, teething biscuits and
        turkey. She hates fruit and most cereals.

        We think we'll keep her, too. She's kinda cute - although the
        cuteness wears thin at 2am.

        I know some BGTers have babies/toddlers and have taken them out on
        long hikes/short backpacking trips. We've never done anything more
        than sort (1-2 mile) hikes. Any suggestions?

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Chief Moderator"
        <ChiefModerator@B...> wrote:
        > WOW! What are you feeding that kid???...... ;o) Time flys, doesn't it.
        > She's a keeper.
        > Jerry

      • J Cornelius
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2003
          One thing about kids - you can't live with 'em (especially in the teen
          years) and you can't give 'em back! Enjoy 'em while you can!
          Jodi who is now a gramma (became one at 38 <sigh>) and is DEFINITELY
          enjoying the 2's of her grandson!

          Abnormality IS the normality at this locality!

          <ChiefModerator@B...> wrote:
          > WOW! What are you feeding that kid???...... ;o) Time flys, doesn't
          it.
          > She's a keeper.
          > Jerry

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705
          066005:HM/A=1464858/R=0/*http:/www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_Cquo
          _1/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egrou
          pmail/S=:HM/A=1464858/rand=645272228>

        • Shane Steinkamp
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 1, 2003
            > One thing about kids - you can't live with 'em (especially
            > in the teen years) and you can't give 'em back! Enjoy 'em
            > while you can!

            I told my wife that if we have a second child that I want to re-negotiate
            the warranty. The warranty we got on the first one just wasn't there... ;)

            North Carolina is cold, wet, dreary, and quaint in a strangely disturbing
            way. Fortunately, my friends have a very nice fireplace...

            Shane
          • Emma Eyeball <tarbubble@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 2, 2003
              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Sonjia <sonjialeyva@n...>"
              <sonjialeyva@n...> wrote:

              > I know some BGTers have babies/toddlers and have taken them out on
              > long hikes/short backpacking trips. We've never done anything more
              > than sort (1-2 mile) hikes. Any suggestions?

              hi Sonjia,

              i'm a newbie here on BGT, nice to "meet" you. i moderate a small
              Yahoo list called "Backpacking with Children,"
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/backpackingwithchildren/
              and i have so far taken my 10-month-old son on 2 backpacking trips
              (one 2-nighter, one 1-nighter), and countless dayhikes (he just
              bagged his first peak yesterday). i have plenty more planned for
              spring, and we are ambitiously planning to take him at least halfway
              with us on the John Muir Trail this summer (he'll be 16 months when
              we start). i'd be more than happy to answer any questions you might
              have, or that any other BGT-ers might have about taking wee ones out
              into the wilds. and if i can't answer them, i'll find someody who
              can. ;)

              and hey, on your site you say you're from S. California. i live in
              Orange County - if you're still around here, let's make plans to do
              some baby hiking! tarbubble at yahoo dot com.

              -emma
            • Jamie <jdeben@hotmail.com>
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 2, 2003
                Sonjia,
                I can vouch for Emma's yahoo group. She recruted me a few months ago.
                I've learned lot so useful stuff of kid carryin'. The people are
                really nice and helpful on the site too. Come join us.

                I'm not in s. cali, but Phx isn't too far a way. Maybe one day we
                can meet in the middle.

                Jamie in AZ

                --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Emma Eyeball
                <tarbubble@y...>" <tarbubble@y...> wrote:
                > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Sonjia
                <sonjialeyva@n...>"
                > <sonjialeyva@n...> wrote:
                >
                > > I know some BGTers have babies/toddlers and have taken them out on
                > > long hikes/short backpacking trips. We've never done anything
                more
                > > than sort (1-2 mile) hikes. Any suggestions?
                >
                > hi Sonjia,
                >
                > i'm a newbie here on BGT, nice to "meet" you. i moderate a small
                > Yahoo list called "Backpacking with Children,"
                > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/backpackingwithchildren/
                > and i have so far taken my 10-month-old son on 2 backpacking trips
                > (one 2-nighter, one 1-nighter), and countless dayhikes (he just
                > bagged his first peak yesterday). i have plenty more planned for
                > spring, and we are ambitiously planning to take him at least
                halfway
                > with us on the John Muir Trail this summer (he'll be 16 months when
                > we start). i'd be more than happy to answer any questions you
                might
                > have, or that any other BGT-ers might have about taking wee ones
                out
                > into the wilds. and if i can't answer them, i'll find someody who
                > can. ;)
                >
                > and hey, on your site you say you're from S. California. i live in
                > Orange County - if you're still around here, let's make plans to do
                > some baby hiking! tarbubble at yahoo dot com.
                >
                > -emma
              • Nathan
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 3, 2003
                  Sarah and I have taken Holly out on dozens of hikes (she's 14 months last
                  week) and one weekend trip. She has done very well on all of them. Holly can
                  only take about an hour to an hour and a half in a carrier at a time. She
                  loves leaves and likes to carry on a conversation, especially w/ mom. We try
                  to take a variety of small toys and finger snacks. Holly breastfeeds, so
                  that saves us on food, but Sarah has to come on all of our outings. Our
                  overnight was business trip. We outfitters and a group of Girl Scouts
                  contracted w/ us. That was a lot of fun. Babysitters galore! If any of the
                  girl scouts complained about being out, they would point to Holly, who was
                  enjoying every minute of it, and that changed everything. Our suggestion
                  would be, take your little one out as much as possible, let him/her play
                  with everything (but the poisonous stuff) and teach him/her to enjoy the
                  outside. Have fun with your Grasshopper...still waiting on mine. Nathan

                  <ChiefModerator@B...> wrote:
                  > WOW! What are you feeding that kid???...... ;o) Time flys, doesn't it.
                  > She's a keeper.
                  > Jerry

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • Sonjia <sonjialeyva@netscape.net>
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 3, 2003
                    Emma

                    Well, where was that site last summer???? Probably right there, under
                    my nose (like most things lately).

                    I'll hop over there and take a look. Julia's in daycare full-time now
                    (sniff, sniff). The game plan was to take her out on dayhikes during
                    the week. Somehow that never happened. Weekends, however, are still
                    open. I'd love to get together with you (and other So Cal BGTers) to
                    do a day hike. Gotta test that Grasshopper!

                    Sonjia
                  • Andrew Priest
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 3, 2003
                      At 03:32 AM 04/03/2003, you wrote:
                      >Emma
                      >
                      >Well, where was that site last summer???? Probably right there, under
                      >my nose (like most things lately).

                      Hi Folks

                      where it is more appropriate.

                      Regards