Monitor list...Monitor Pool -- Questions

  • colonelcorn76 <colonelcorn76@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 1, 2003
      I have read the latest version of the Survival Guide and most
      specifically Chapter 7 with regards to Test Monitors. I have a few
      questions/clarifications which may be old hat to the current
      monitors but might help some of us newbies.

      The first report is to be filed within 48 hours of a tester getting
      the gear (usually within 2 weeks of shipping from the mfg). Sixty
      days after the first report the field report is due. I assume this
      means after the first tester has filed his initial report and is not
      a rolling date based on each tester's filing of their individual
      initial report. Tester 1 files their initial report on April 1,
      Tester 2 on April 3, Tester 2 on April 5th---the field report
      deadline is June 1 for all testers not June 1 for Tester 1, June 3
      for Tester 2 and June 5 for Tester 3. Correct?

      According to the Guide, every Wednesday we are to post a message to
      the list (since I haven't seen a bunch of weekly posts to the Yahoo!
      Group, I'm assuming the "list" is the list of testers) with the
      status of each tester's submissions. That implies that since each
      tester is to submit an initial on "day 1" and a field report on "day
      60" that the weekly status doesn't change for the first 8 weeks
      (e.g. Week 1: "Tester 1 submitted initial, Tester 2 submitted
      intial, Tester 3 submitted intial"....Week 2: "Tester 1 has
      submitted initial, Tester 2 has submitted intial, Tester 3 has
      submitted initial"....Week 8: "Tester 1 submitted field report,
      Tester 2 submitted field report, Tester 3 submitted field
      report"....). No? Is the idea just to keep the testers reminded that
      they ought to be out testing and to make sure they keep in touch in
      case of problems/issues that affect their ability to complete the
      test?

      When all the submissions have been "sent to the list and uploaded"
      we are to send an email to the list announcing the test is closed.
      Since I've seen a couple of those posts, I'm assuming that in this
      case "list" means this Group, not just the involved testers. I also
      assume this definition of "list" is the one that applies to monitors
      needing to "actively participate on the list" as well.

      Or have I missed something fundamental and need to return to my
      corner to cogitate on things obvious to all but me?

      Thanks,
      Jim
    • John F. Meyer, Jr.
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 1, 2003
        colonelcorn76,

        Correct about the report due dates. As for the monitor reports, they
        all go to the list, individual testers only receive reminder e-mails
        when they are late with a report... and for such an e-mail, cc the list
        unless you're also posting your monitor's report at about the same time,
        in which case making note of it there is sufficient. To see examples of
        monitor's reports, search the archive or just scroll back to Wednesday,
        there should be almost 20 of them in there this week, if I remember
        correctly.

        John F. Meyer, Jr. e-mail&MSN:jfm@... www.johnmeyer.net
        Yahoo,Excite,AT&T,Jabber,Odigo:jmeyer43 ICQ:176593636 AOL:jmeyer043
      • colonelcorn76 <colonelcorn76@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 1, 2003
          Thanks John,

          I went back and found the MONITOR REPORTS on each of the Wednesdays.
          Appreciate the clarification.

          Jim

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "John F. Meyer, Jr."
          <jfm43@j...> wrote:
          > colonelcorn76,
          >
          > Correct about the report due dates. As for the monitor reports,
          they
          > all go to the list, individual testers only receive reminder e-
          mails
          > when they are late with a report... and for such an e-mail, cc the
          list
          > unless you're also posting your monitor's report at about the same
          time,
          > in which case making note of it there is sufficient. To see
          examples of
          > monitor's reports, search the archive or just scroll back to
          Wednesday,
          > there should be almost 20 of them in there this week, if I remember
          > correctly.

          ___
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 1, 2003
            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, David Anderson
            <danderson@b...> wrote:
            > It's official

            David,

            I'd like to add my name to the monitor pool list. I have read the
            latest version of the Survival Guide (1202) and have no issues with
            being able to comply with the rules.

            Thanks
            Jim
          • Andrew Priest
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 1, 2003
              At 05:18 AM 02/03/2003, you wrote:
              >Thanks John,
              >
              >I went back and found the MONITOR REPORTS on each of the Wednesdays.
              >Appreciate the clarification.

              Hi

              FYI the monitor's role and the Survival Guide section on monitoring tests
              is to be updated. As we grow, we may need to look at extending the role of
              Test Monitors.

              Regards
              Andrew
              reviews and tests on the planet

              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 1, 2003
                Andrew,

                I wouldn't think there'd be a problem extending the role much. I
                wanted to make sure I was clear on the responsibilities before I
                volunteered to make sure I wasn't likely to screw up.

                Actually I would think an extended role might draw in some folks who
                can't test gear because they're not out on the trail enough to
                effectively test gear. Having a larger role might give them more of
                a sense of contributing to the group.

                Jim

                --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Priest

                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 1, 2003
                  At 08:55 AM 02/03/2003, you wrote:
                  >Andrew,
                  >
                  >I wouldn't think there'd be a problem extending the role much. I
                  >wanted to make sure I was clear on the responsibilities before I
                  >volunteered to make sure I wasn't likely to screw up.

                  Hi Jim

                  No worries. Just note that the Survival Guide does need updating as some
                  things are now required, e.g., lines of communication; reporting on issues,
                  time for initial report is now one week, but which may not be in the
                  Survival Guide.

                  Regards
                  Andrew

                  reviews and tests on the planet

                • Martin, Stephanie Yoong B
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 3, 2003
                    There is a slight discrepancy with regards to the Initial Report Due Date:
                    In the survival guide, under Description of Reports, it states:

                    Initial report
                    The first report is due within one week of receiving the item being tested however you must let your test monitor know as soon as it arrives.

                    The monitor section makes reference to a 48 hr turn around...
                    Personally, I think the one week from date of receipt is more reasonable, as it allows the tester at least 1 weekend to deal with it.

                    -Stephanie
                  • David Anderson
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 3, 2003
                      It is one week. The change to the monitor section was just missed.

                      At 11:06 AM 3/3/2003 -0700, you wrote:
                      >There is a slight discrepancy with regards to the Initial Report Due Date:
                      >In the survival guide, under Description of Reports, it states:
                      >
                      >Initial report
                      >The first report is due within one week of receiving the item being tested
                      >however you must let your test monitor know as soon as it arrives.
                      >
                      >The monitor section makes reference to a 48 hr turn around...
                      >Personally, I think the one week from date of receipt is more reasonable,
                      >as it allows the tester at least 1 weekend to deal with it.
                      >
                      >-Stephanie

                      David Anderson
                      Moderator
                      BackpackGearTest.org
                    • tcoug7 <tcoug7@aol.com>
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 3, 2003
                        David....just looking for some feedback on the monitor pool. Like,
                        did you get my request to be included (re: Message #25430)? What's
                        the status of the pool? How will we know if it's our turn?

                        Thanks....Tim
                      • David Anderson
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 3, 2003
                          At 06:45 PM 3/3/2003 +0000, you wrote:
                          >David....just looking for some feedback on the monitor pool. Like,
                          >did you get my request to be included (re: Message #25430)?

                          Yes.

                          >What's
                          >the status of the pool? How will we know if it's our turn?

                          You will be contacted by the moderator running the test, and asked if you
                          want to monitor that test. There are still a few in front of you, but it
                          shouldn't take too long.

                          --
                          David Anderson
                          Moderator