EDIT: OWNER REVIEW: KELTY GALE: Amanda Tikkanen

  • grahamblamey
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1 2:53 AM
      Hi Amanda,
      many thanks for submitting your review to BGT, After reading it thoroughly,
      I have to say that I think it lacks some of the detail and content that we
      look for on BGT. If you would be prepared to take on board my comments and
      edits, I see no reason why you shouldn't easily be able to work this up into
      a really informative review and we can get you on your way to becoming a BGT
      gear tester.
      Essentially, what you need to do, is develop some of your observations so
      that someone reading your review is able to judge whether this pack is going
      to be suitable for their particular needs.
      Graham Blamey
      BGT Edit Moderator

      > Product Review-Kelty Gale (Owner Review)
      >
      > Name: Amanda Tikkanen
      > Age: 21
      > Gender: Female
      > Height: 5'4" (1.5m)
      > Weight: 140 (63.5 kg)
      > Torso: 17"

      ### 17" = (43 cm) metric equivalents are required throughout your review,
      you have them in some places and not others

      > Model year: purchased in 1999
      > Torso sizes: One size (non adjustable)

      ### what size? what length?

      > Weight: 3.5 lbs
      > Capacity: 3500 in3

      ### metric eq. needed 3.5 lbs = (1.5 kg), 3500 cu in = (57 ltr)

      > Fabric: 600D Kodra upper/1000D bottom
      > Frame: Padded back panel w/ acetyl arch

      ### so is that no frame then? what's an 'acetyl arch'

      > Other features:
      >
      > Dual daisy chains
      > Shovel pocket
      > Floating lid (not removable
      > Over the top control strap

      ### you leave me guessing as to; side compression straps-spindrift
      collar-waist/hip belt- ice axe loops-adjustable shoulder straps-sternum
      strap, any other features? what's the 'over the top control strap' for?

      > The weight was good and I'd read some favorable

      ### good relative to what? for a pack of this volume, size ?

      > Unlike the other reviews I'd read where testers wound up with packs
      > too short for their torsos, I have a pack that needs to be shortened
      > by about 1.5".

      ### why? it might be ok for someone with a longer back, the pack doesn't
      need to be shortened, it's too long for you

      > I wore this pack on a late-August weekend trip in the Manistee
      > National Forest. I had planned on being out for three days, but
      > finished a day early. Since I had no-cook meals my food weight was
      > easily double that for a normal trip.

      ### so why was your food weight double? what weight was this ?(approx. would
      do) What's a *normal* trip ?(in your view) how many other trips (either day
      or multi-day) have you used the pack on in the 4 years you have owned it?

      > Still, the pack held all of my gear thanks to some creative packing.

      ### which was what? Tent, tarp, hammock,sleeping bag, Thermarest, roll-mat,
      clothes? even an approximation would be useful. How did you pack creatively?

      > The hip belt with its cinching system adjusts quickly and easily
      > allowing the hip belt to rest comfortably on my hips for those high-
      > mileage days.

      ### is this a plain webbing hip-belt? is it padded? shaped?

      > I think Kelty underestimated the actual volume of the pack as when I
      > pack it with all my ultralight gear it's almost too cramped for
      > anything over three days.

      ### have you measured the volume of the pack in any other, more accurate
      way, than just packing it with gear, (the amount of which we still don't
      know)?

      If you were carrying a tent instead of my
      > siltarp, you'd definitely have to lash it to the outside of the pack.

      ### you're 'projecting' here as you don't know what tent I might want to
      pack and what other gear I might want to carry and how it compares in volume
      to yours. And you should stick to 'I' it's your experiences we want.

      > To make up for the lack of volume inside the pack there are plenty
      > of lashing options outside, including a shovel pocket, dual daisy
      > chains, lash tabs on the bottom, and lash points on the lid.

      ### you can't say there's a lack of volume in the pack . There's either 3500
      cu in or there isn't, and the lashing points are there as a feature not to
      make up for a deficiency. Even a Marketing man would have difficulty
      selling a 3500 cu in pack that wasn't, but had lashing points on the outside
      to make up for the deficiency (eh Jerry)?

      > I wasn't fond of the fact that in order to get at the gear inside
      > the pack you have to take everything apart. I had a sleeping pad
      > stashed in the shovel pocket and would have to re-roll it after
      > every snack break.

      ### why do you have to 'take everything apart' to get at the gear inside?
      why did you have to re-roll your sleeping pad after every snack break?

      > There are no outer pockets on this pack, so if you're a chronic
      > organizer you might want to look elsewhere.

      ### aren't there mesh pockets? a shovel pocket? you don't mention a lid
      pocket, is there one?

      > I was disappointed that, once the pack is fully loaded, the mesh
      > water bottle pockets stop holding onto Nalgene 1qt bottles.

      ### why was that do you think? were the mesh pockets useful for carrying
      anything else?

      I appreciate that my edit might seem a little harsh, but as it is, your
      review leaves me guessing as to what, if any, use this pack might be to me.
      If you'd be willing to revise your review I'm pretty sure you could fill in
      the blanks and having done so,
      please re-submit your review, adding REPOST in the heading.
      Regards, Graham.

      ---
    • Martin, Stephanie Yoong B
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3 10:10 AM
        **Insert Shameless Plug Here**

        Hello, Amanda, and anyone else who is reading :)
        I'd like to recommend the Apprentice Program to you if you'd like some personal 1:1 attention. If you'd like to be an apprentice, please post to the list with the subject: MENTOR REQUEST and someone will contact you offlist and help guide you through the process.

        In the meantime, if you haven't read about becoming a tester, I highly recommend the following:

        Welcome!
        Stephanie
        BGT Mentor