Application to test Ruff Wear Quick Draw Combination Leash and Collar

  • d_troeger <dtroeger@mail.ev1.net>
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2003
      Please accept my application to test the Ruff Wear Quick Draw
      Combination Leash and Collar. I have read Chapter Five of the
      BackpackGearTest Survival Guide, version 1202, and will follow all
      requirements specified in addition to the testing requirements
      described in the test call. If I am not chosen to test this product,
      please consider me for the position of test monitor.

      PERSONAL BIO

      NAME Oreo
      BREED: Siberian Husky
      EYES: Blue
      AGE 5 years (35 human years)
      GENDER female
      HEIGHT 32 in / .8 m
      WEIGHT 67 lbs / 30 kg
      INTERESTS: Long walks on a moonlit beach, sharing a quiet kibble with
      her sweetie, or just spending an evening at home cuddling with her
      pack.

      HER HUMAN'S BIO

      NAME David Troeger
      AGE 41
      GENDER Male
      HEIGHT 6'2" / 1.88 m
      WEIGHT 220 lbs / 100 kg
      EMAIL ADDRESS dtroeger@...
      CITY, STATE & COUNTRY Round Rock, TX USA

      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND

      I've been camping and backpacking for 40.5 of my 41 years. My family
      took extended car camping trips when I was growing up and we visited
      most of the states in the lower half of the country for weeks at a
      time. As a Boy Scout, our troop's backpacking trips were mostly
      taken in Texas and Colorado and we thought it was normal to carry
      half our weight in gear! Now that I'm older and wiser, I've worked
      up (down, actually) to lightweight backpacking and have made the
      majority of my trips in Southern California, New Mexico, Colorado,
      Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas. I'll use any excuse to get my family
      in the outdoors, though, whether for a weekend or week in our
      trailer, a cabin, a tent, a shelter, etc.....whatever it takes, right?

      BACKGROUND APPLICABLE TO THIS TEST: Oreo is an outdoor explorer.
      She's well behaved, doesn't bark, and is extremely insulted when
      we're required to leash her. Being a Husky, Oreo looks at everyone
      like a wolf sizing up a prospective snack, even though her mouth
      curls naturally into a smile and her demeanor is frisky and
      mischievous. As a result, we've had several instances on hiking
      trips that Oreo, untethered, has led us over a hill and scared the
      wits out of groups hiking the opposite way. More often than not,
      though, Oreo runs free and we tote the leash for all but the few
      moments it's needed.

      FIELD INFORMATION: If chosen for this test, I would be interested in
      evaluating several key features. Oreo has thick fur, so I would
      check to see if the leash is easily accessible, or whether it tangles
      up. I like the idea of the reflective strip for night hiking, but I
      would also like to check it's effective when it's buried in her 3"
      winter coat. Oreo is very particular about her collarwear, so we'd
      evaluate the bulk of the leash and it's overall comfort. Finally, I
      understand that the leash length is adjustable, but not necessarily
      long, so I'd be interested in seeing how much room is available
      between us when hiking (it's a bit embarrassing to stumble on each
      other).

      Our family camps approximately in Texas about once a month. Our near-
      term trips include long weekends in Perdnales State Park, Dinosaur
      Valley State Park, and Garner State Parks, backpacking in the Lost
      Maples State Natural Area, and camping for 10 days in Zion, Bryce,
      and Grand Canyon National Parks. If we are selected to test late in
      the summer, we'll be backpacking for a week in the mountains of
      Northern Colorado (yeeeee-haw!). Oreo will join us for all but the
      national park trip and we'll have plenty of hiking opportunities.

      PREVIOUSLY WRITTEN REPORTS

      OWNER REVIEWS

      Primus Litech Coffee/Tea Kettle
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Cook%
      20Sets/Primus_Litech_Coffee-Tea_Kettle/Owner%20Review%20by%20David%
      20Troeger

      Dental Dots Fingertip Toothbrush
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Personal%
      20Hygiene/Toiletries/Dental%20Dots%20Fingertip%20Toothbrush/Dental%
      20Dots%20Fingertip%20Toothbrush%20-%20David%20Troeger/

      COMPLETED TESTS:

      Pristine Water Purification Drops
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Water%20Treatment/Chemical%
      20Treatment/Pristine%20Water%20Purification/David%20Troeger/

      Seychelles Water Filter
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Water%
      20Treatment/Filters/Seychelle%20Water%20Filter/David%20Troeger/Report%
      20by%20D%20Troeger/

      CURRENTLY TESTING OTHER ITEMS:

      None. Look at all this free time I've got!

      CURRENTLY SERVING AS MONITOR FOR:

      None, but hoping.

      Thank you for considering me for this test!

      David Troeger
    • d_troeger <dtroeger@mail.ev1.net>
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 28, 2003

      • dawnhark <dawnhark@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 28, 2003
          Hi, Dave--I see you are one of the original long-time locals here at
          BGT if you tested the Seychelles filter. Good app, enjoyed reading it.

          I was wondering how Oreo got her name--who named her? I remember when
          my Oreo was a little kitten, and I couldn't think of a name for him.
          He was black and white.

          A (shhh) stoner friend of mine (hey, it was 1974) afflicted with the
          perpetual munchies suggested "Oreo." I went for it, though in later
          years I was sad that the name didn't seem, well, dignified enough to
          grace the Best Cat in the Whole World....

          I'm so glad you let Oreo off leash a lot--a dog running free is a
          beautiful thing. I also believe it is essential to their mental, let
          alone physical, well-being.

          I don't think I'm supposed to rattle on off-topic like this here; are
          you a member of the Yahoo group Kampfire? If I see you there, I'll
          tell you what I told one guy who tried to stab Jesse (my Golden/Husky)
          with his hiking pole when Jesse went up to him, wagging his tail, to
          say "Hi, I love all humans, all animals, all the universe"...

          Dawn