Application to test Leki Trekking Poles

  • Réanne H
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2003
      Please accept my application to test a pair of Leki Trekking Poles. My
      first testing choice is the Ultralite Ti AirErgo poles, then the Ultralite
      Ti AirErgo PA, and the Super Makalu AirErgo PA. The main reason why I am
      interested in the Ultralite Ti AirErgo PA is that they are smaller, and I am
      a smaller person, so it follows that they would work better for me. (The
      Super Makalus extend to only 17cm shorter than I stand!!!) I have read
      v.1202 of the Backpack Gear Test Survival Guide, and agree to comly with all
      rules, and submit complete reports in a timely manner. Thank you Leki and
      BGT for considering me as a tester.

      Feb. 28th, 2003

      Name: R�anne Hamel
      Age: 21
      Gender: Female
      Height: 1.57m (5'2")
      Weight: 71kg (163lbs)
      Email address: hikingurl(AT)hotmail(DOT)com
      City: Squamish (the outdoor recreation capital of Canada!)
      Province: British Columbia
      Country: Canada

      Backpacking Background: I have been hiking (short and long day hikes) since
      I was a kid in Ontario with my parents, and also with Brownies and Girl
      Guides (learned more there than I did in school!). Since moving to BC 2 1/2
      yrs ago, I have been able to day hike at least a few times a week. I started
      backpacking this summer, with a couple of weekend trips, and a week trip up
      Black Tusk. As I'm in the Coast Mountains, I can go from hot & humid, to
      cold and dry (or rainy or snowy!) in one hike. It's often VERY wet here. The
      terrain varies, from soft woodlands, to pure granite. I'm a beginner to
      intermediate backpacker, as there seems to be something new to learn all the
      time! I am slowly trying to add/change pieces of my gear to become a
      lightweight backpacker, but I still have a long way to go; Especially
      because I am one of those people who always thinks "But I might need this!".

      I have plenty of trips planned for this year, so the trekking poles would
      definitely be given a good run for their money. I am particularily
      interested in how the locking mechanism stands up to repeated
      locking/unlocking as I go along the trails, how it reacts to freezing and
      thawing, and what happens when a little bit of dirt gets up in there (as
      dirt undoubtedly finds its way into everything when I'm out in the woods!)?
      As I've never hiked with trekking poles before, I would like to see if what
      people say about them is true- Do they improve my balance? How do they
      assist me when crossing streams? Does my lower body feel less stressed
      after a trip with trekking poles? And lastly, I would like to see how the
      carbide flextip withstands a lot of use on rocky, mountainous terrain.

      I am planning a couple more snowshoeing trips into Garibaldi Provinvial Park
      here in BC, as well as summer trips up there to Elfin and Mamquam Lakes,
      Garibaldi Lake, Black Tusk, Helm Ridge and Panorama Ridge (all in BC's Coast
      Mountains). In the spring I am volunteering for the Raid the North
      Adventure Race in Hope, BC, where I will have to hike out to my check-point
      station in the woods with my station buddy, stay overnight, and hike back
      out the next day. At the end of May, I'm going on a group adventure with a
      hiking club I belong to locally, Club Tread. We're hiking the Stein River
      Valley, which is also located in the Coast Mountain Range. In July, for at
      least a month, probably more, I'm embarking on a solo adventure, starting
      with a 2 week trip through Willmore Wilderness Park, AB, Canada. Willmore
      is located in Canada's Rocky Mountains. From there I'll be doing the North
      Boundary Trail for 10 days (also in the Rockies). After that, who knows?
      The world is my playground! I am thinking about hiking some of the Great
      Divide Trail, or going to Ontario to do some/all of the Bruce Trail.

      The elevations of my trips will range from 400m (1312ft) to 2682m (8799ft).
      I am expecting all sorts of weather during my trips. In the mountains, all
      types of weather are to be expected. The temperature ranges are from -10C
      (14F) to 35C (95F). The weather will be extremely varied, from normal
      winter weather (cold, dry and snowy in the mountains, cold and rainy during
      local day hikes that don't extend into the alpine); and throughout the
      spring, summer and early fall there will be wet, mild rainy days, incredibly
      hot and humid or hot and dry summer days, and mild wet days in the fall.
      I'm expecting there to be at least one (probably more!) summer snow squall.
      During summer in the Rockies, it's possible to get a foot of snow during a
      storm, and there is measureable precipitation during about half of the
      month.

      So far, I have submitted 2 owner reviews, Columbia Cliff 2 Women's Hiking
      Boots, and Outdoor Works Summit 3 tent. The links for these follow. I am not
      currently involved in any tests.

      Columbia Cliff 2 Women's Boots:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Footwear/Boots/Columbia%20Cliff%202/Owner%20Review%20by%20Reanne%20Hamel/

      Outdoor Works Summit 3 Tent: