Revised qwner's review - Guide Gear convertible nylon pants

  • magickfingers@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2003
      Owner Review Sportsman's Guide 'Guide Gear' Convertible Nylon Pants
      Tester's name: Marc Pfenning
      Trail name: Magickfingers
      Email: magickfingers@...
      Age: 49
      DOB: 9/30/53
      Male, 6'(1.9M), 170#(77 Kg)
      Residence: North East Kingdom of Vermont
      Hiking Background: I joined the Green Mountain Club @ 8 years old, and enjoyed lots of hiking and camping with them as I was growing up. I was very active in a boy scout troop that was out on the trail almost every weekend. I became an Eagle scout @ 16; Hurricane Island Outward Bound School @ 17 changed my life. I have hiked most of the Long Trail at one time or another, and plan to hike it end-to-end this September. I suffered a serious stroke in 2000, and had to teach myself how to walk, read, etc. A very interesting experience, but NOT recommended. I lost a lot of strength during the long recovery; I'm still building it back up. I enjoy hiking, backpacking, canoeing, kayaking, and mountain biking. I have been experimenting with lightweight/ultralight gear and techniques in order to get back out on the trail. I enjoy camping in all four seasons; I have spent many nights in snow caves at -20 F(-30C) or colder, and often hike in shorts and a t-shirt in the 90sF(30sC). I also enjoy canoe camping(you eat a lot better:)). We are still able to have open campfires about anywhere in Vermont but I cook about half of my meals on a camp stove, in the interests of convenience and LNT principles. I currently use a Kelty Vortex 2 tent which is a fine tent but is far from lightweight. I hope to acquire a Henry Shires TarpTent in the not too distant future.

      Manufacturer: Sportsman's Guide
      web site: www.sportsmansguide.com
      product: Guide Gear convertible (zip-off) nylon pants

      price: i paid $14.99, currently $19.99

      I always thought that zip-off pants were pretty 'trendy' and never thought that I would own a pair, but last spring I was shopping for <$50 nylon pants, and when I saw the price on these, I realized that summer was soon coming, and I live in nylon shorts for the summer. I figured it was worth a try for $15. I have since ordered a second pair, and wear them almost exclusively. I am wearing a pair right now, with fleece pants under them ( it's about 15*F (-8* C) outside now). I even bought a pair as a gift for my brother, and he also likes them a lot. These pants are available in 30"(75 cm), 32" (80 cm) and 34"(85 cm) inseams, and in black, olive or khaki. They are item # WX2-58003 (30"), WX2-58004 (32") and WX2-58006 (34").
      I am 6' (1.9M) tall and bought the 34" size, and they fit me fine. The pants have front slash pockets and cargo pockets. The left slash pocket has a hidden zipped security pocket, and the right slash pocket has an attached key clip, which is probably the most useful feature of the pants. On the rare occassion that I wear some other pants I am constantly trying to hook my keys on the key clip, then wondering why it isn't a standard feature in every pair of pants. There is also one zipped rear pocket, on the right side. I have found that the cargo pockets are very useful for storing the legs when worn as shorts. That way I don't lose them, and I even know which leg goes on which side. I'm sure that there are lighter weight nylon pants out there (zippers are heavy) but with these I don't need to pack shorts, so it's a wash in my book. The pants are very well made and durable. They are relatively water resistant but not waterproof. The only suggestion for improvement that I have (are you listening, Gary?) would be to put grommets in the bottom of the pockets, because when I wear the shorts swimming I always come up with all the pockets full of water. It's not a big deal, but grommets would be a pretty simple and inexpensive solution. I may even get around to modifying mine some day. All in all, these are very nice pants and definitely in the running for 'bargain of the year' status. I would recommend that anyone looking for convertible nylon pants should check them out.

      PROS: versatile, rugged, water resistant, great price, lots of pockets
      CONS: lots of pockets full of water after swimming

    • Graham Blamey <gg@higray.fsnet.co.uk>
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2003
        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, magickfingers@n... wrote:
        > Owner Review Sportsman's Guide 'Guide Gear' Convertible Nylon
        Pants

        Marc, you do not appear to have edited much of this review, and all
        the edits are those that appear in your Kelty Vortex tent review
        which James has commented on. When you have finished editing the
        Kelty review, then come back to this one and edit it accordingly. The
        sooner you get this done, the sooner we can get you into the testing
        process.
        Regards,
        Graham
        BGT Edit
        Moderator

        > Tester's name: Marc Pfenning
        > Trail name: Magickfingers
        > Email: magickfingers@n...
        > Age: 49
        > DOB: 9/30/53
        > Male, 6'(1.9M), 170#(77 Kg)
        > Residence: North East Kingdom of Vermont
        > Hiking Background: I joined the Green Mountain Club @ 8 years old,
        and enjoyed lots of hiking and camping with them as I was growing
        up. I was very active in a boy scout troop that was out on the trail
        almost every weekend. I became an Eagle scout @ 16; Hurricane Island
        Outward Bound School @ 17 changed my life. I have hiked most of the
        Long Trail at one time or another, and plan to hike it end-to-end
        this September. I suffered a serious stroke in 2000, and had to
        teach myself how to walk, read, etc. A very interesting experience,
        but NOT recommended. I lost a lot of strength during the long
        recovery; I'm still building it back up. I enjoy hiking,
        backpacking, canoeing, kayaking, and mountain biking. I have been
        experimenting with lightweight/ultralight gear and techniques in
        order to get back out on the trail. I enjoy camping in all four
        seasons; I have spent many nights in snow caves at -20 F(-30C) or
        colder, and often hike in shorts and a t-shirt in the 90sF(30sC). I
        also enjoy canoe camping(you eat a lot better:)). We are still able
        to have open campfires about anywhere in Vermont but I cook about
        half of my meals on a camp stove, in the interests of convenience and
        LNT principles. I currently use a Kelty Vortex 2 tent which is a
        fine tent but is far from lightweight. I hope to acquire a Henry
        Shires TarpTent in the not too distant future.

        > Manufacturer: Sportsman's
        Guide

        http://webmail.netscape.com/