Grasshopper arrived!

  • Sonjia Leyva
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 28, 2003
      I arrived home from picking Julia up at daycare to find a large box on
      my porch. It was the Grasshopper! We tried it out and I took a couple
      of pictures, but the flash wasn't working (probably user error) so the
      pictures are not very good. You can see them at:
      http://www.geophile.net/Reviews/grasshopper/

      My first report will be submitted Monday. Got a field trip and a
      birthday party this weekend.

      Sonjia
      Sonjia Leyva
      http://www.geophile.net

      "Geologists are Scouts who hated to give up camping when they went to
      college, so they majored in geology." Ellen Sue Blakey
      I defend Biogems! www.savebiogems.org

    • hhloth@msn.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 28, 2003
        Boy, is Julia ever getting big, and beautiful too - she sure seems to like her new gear.

        Helen

        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 28, 2003
          Sonjia,

          Great pictures of the Grasshopper and Julia, I liked the full picture the
          best.
          She is beautiful, where has the time gone since the first baby pictures.

          Cheers,

          Marge

            WOW! What are you feeding that kid???...... ;o) Time flys, doesn't it.
            She's a keeper.
            Jerry

            http://www.BackpackGearTest.org <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> : the

            Boy, is Julia ever getting big, and beautiful too - she sure seems to like
            her new gear.

            Helen

            I arrived home from picking Julia up at daycare to find a large box on
            my porch. It was the Grasshopper! We tried it out and I took a couple
            of pictures, but the flash wasn't working (probably user error) so the
            pictures are not very good. You can see them at:
            http://www.geophile.net/Reviews/grasshopper/

            My first report will be submitted Monday. Got a field trip and a
            birthday party this weekend.

            Sonjia

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=17050660
            05:HM/A=1464858/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_Cquo_1/g22l
            p?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupmai
            l/S=:HM/A=1464858/rand=642672844>

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • Andrew Priest
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 28, 2003
              At 05:40 AM 01/03/2003, you wrote:
              >Boy, is Julia ever getting big, and beautiful too - she sure seems to like
              >her new gear.

              Hi

              She does and is :-)

              Andrew
              reviews and tests on the planet

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 1, 2003
                Helen

                Thank you. She's long and thin, which means that most pants are
                either too short or slide right off of her. I should have such problems.

                She did like the Grasshopper. Especially chewing on it! We're going
                to test it out with her next weekend - as soon as we decide where to go.

                Sonjia

              • Sonjia <sonjialeyva@netscape.net>
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 1, 2003
                  Marge

                  At Christmas, she could barely stand to be on her tummy. Now she's
                  standing and starting to walk! Soon she'll need itty bitty hiking
                  boots . . .

                  We'll take more (and better) pictures for the reports.

                  Sonjia

                  --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Marge Prothman" <marge@p...>

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 1, 2003
                    Well, at the moment she likes most veggies, teething biscuits and
                    turkey. She hates fruit and most cereals.

                    We think we'll keep her, too. She's kinda cute - although the
                    cuteness wears thin at 2am.

                    I know some BGTers have babies/toddlers and have taken them out on
                    long hikes/short backpacking trips. We've never done anything more
                    than sort (1-2 mile) hikes. Any suggestions?

                    --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Chief Moderator"
                    <ChiefModerator@B...> wrote:
                    > WOW! What are you feeding that kid???...... ;o) Time flys, doesn't it.
                    > She's a keeper.
                    > Jerry

                  • J Cornelius
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 1, 2003
                      One thing about kids - you can't live with 'em (especially in the teen
                      years) and you can't give 'em back! Enjoy 'em while you can!
                      Jodi who is now a gramma (became one at 38 <sigh>) and is DEFINITELY
                      enjoying the 2's of her grandson!

                      Abnormality IS the normality at this locality!

                      <ChiefModerator@B...> wrote:
                      > WOW! What are you feeding that kid???...... ;o) Time flys, doesn't
                      it.
                      > She's a keeper.
                      > Jerry

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                      066005:HM/A=1464858/R=0/*http:/www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_Cquo
                      _1/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

                      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egrou
                      pmail/S=:HM/A=1464858/rand=645272228>

                    • Shane Steinkamp
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 1, 2003
                        > One thing about kids - you can't live with 'em (especially
                        > in the teen years) and you can't give 'em back! Enjoy 'em
                        > while you can!

                        I told my wife that if we have a second child that I want to re-negotiate
                        the warranty. The warranty we got on the first one just wasn't there... ;)

                        North Carolina is cold, wet, dreary, and quaint in a strangely disturbing
                        way. Fortunately, my friends have a very nice fireplace...

                        Shane
                      • Emma Eyeball <tarbubble@yahoo.com>
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 2, 2003
                          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Sonjia <sonjialeyva@n...>"
                          <sonjialeyva@n...> wrote:

                          > I know some BGTers have babies/toddlers and have taken them out on
                          > long hikes/short backpacking trips. We've never done anything more
                          > than sort (1-2 mile) hikes. Any suggestions?

                          hi Sonjia,

                          i'm a newbie here on BGT, nice to "meet" you. i moderate a small
                          Yahoo list called "Backpacking with Children,"
                          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/backpackingwithchildren/
                          and i have so far taken my 10-month-old son on 2 backpacking trips
                          (one 2-nighter, one 1-nighter), and countless dayhikes (he just
                          bagged his first peak yesterday). i have plenty more planned for
                          spring, and we are ambitiously planning to take him at least halfway
                          with us on the John Muir Trail this summer (he'll be 16 months when
                          we start). i'd be more than happy to answer any questions you might
                          have, or that any other BGT-ers might have about taking wee ones out
                          into the wilds. and if i can't answer them, i'll find someody who
                          can. ;)

                          and hey, on your site you say you're from S. California. i live in
                          Orange County - if you're still around here, let's make plans to do
                          some baby hiking! tarbubble at yahoo dot com.

                          -emma
                        • Jamie <jdeben@hotmail.com>
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 2, 2003
                            Sonjia,
                            I can vouch for Emma's yahoo group. She recruted me a few months ago.
                            I've learned lot so useful stuff of kid carryin'. The people are
                            really nice and helpful on the site too. Come join us.

                            I'm not in s. cali, but Phx isn't too far a way. Maybe one day we
                            can meet in the middle.

                            Jamie in AZ

                            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Emma Eyeball
                            <tarbubble@y...>" <tarbubble@y...> wrote:
                            > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Sonjia
                            <sonjialeyva@n...>"
                            > <sonjialeyva@n...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > I know some BGTers have babies/toddlers and have taken them out on
                            > > long hikes/short backpacking trips. We've never done anything
                            more
                            > > than sort (1-2 mile) hikes. Any suggestions?
                            >
                            > hi Sonjia,
                            >
                            > i'm a newbie here on BGT, nice to "meet" you. i moderate a small
                            > Yahoo list called "Backpacking with Children,"
                            > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/backpackingwithchildren/
                            > and i have so far taken my 10-month-old son on 2 backpacking trips
                            > (one 2-nighter, one 1-nighter), and countless dayhikes (he just
                            > bagged his first peak yesterday). i have plenty more planned for
                            > spring, and we are ambitiously planning to take him at least
                            halfway
                            > with us on the John Muir Trail this summer (he'll be 16 months when
                            > we start). i'd be more than happy to answer any questions you
                            might
                            > have, or that any other BGT-ers might have about taking wee ones
                            out
                            > into the wilds. and if i can't answer them, i'll find someody who
                            > can. ;)
                            >
                            > and hey, on your site you say you're from S. California. i live in
                            > Orange County - if you're still around here, let's make plans to do
                            > some baby hiking! tarbubble at yahoo dot com.
                            >
                            > -emma
                          • Nathan
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 3, 2003
                              Sarah and I have taken Holly out on dozens of hikes (she's 14 months last
                              week) and one weekend trip. She has done very well on all of them. Holly can
                              only take about an hour to an hour and a half in a carrier at a time. She
                              loves leaves and likes to carry on a conversation, especially w/ mom. We try
                              to take a variety of small toys and finger snacks. Holly breastfeeds, so
                              that saves us on food, but Sarah has to come on all of our outings. Our
                              overnight was business trip. We outfitters and a group of Girl Scouts
                              contracted w/ us. That was a lot of fun. Babysitters galore! If any of the
                              girl scouts complained about being out, they would point to Holly, who was
                              enjoying every minute of it, and that changed everything. Our suggestion
                              would be, take your little one out as much as possible, let him/her play
                              with everything (but the poisonous stuff) and teach him/her to enjoy the
                              outside. Have fun with your Grasshopper...still waiting on mine. Nathan

                              <ChiefModerator@B...> wrote:
                              > WOW! What are you feeding that kid???...... ;o) Time flys, doesn't it.
                              > She's a keeper.
                              > Jerry

                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            • Sonjia <sonjialeyva@netscape.net>
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 3, 2003
                                Emma

                                Well, where was that site last summer???? Probably right there, under
                                my nose (like most things lately).

                                I'll hop over there and take a look. Julia's in daycare full-time now
                                (sniff, sniff). The game plan was to take her out on dayhikes during
                                the week. Somehow that never happened. Weekends, however, are still
                                open. I'd love to get together with you (and other So Cal BGTers) to
                                do a day hike. Gotta test that Grasshopper!

                                Sonjia
                              • Andrew Priest
                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 3, 2003
                                  At 03:32 AM 04/03/2003, you wrote:
                                  >Emma
                                  >
                                  >Well, where was that site last summer???? Probably right there, under
                                  >my nose (like most things lately).

                                  Hi Folks

                                  where it is more appropriate.

                                  Regards