Hennessy Safari Deluxe Hammock

  • chaynes@javanet.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2001
      My Safari Deluxe model Hennessy Hammock arrived yesterday afternoon.
      Like my 2 Original model Hennessy Hammocks it arrived in great shape.
      I'd like to say Ann and Tom, at Hennessy Hammocks were very
      helpful,
      and understanding in resolving some concerns I had due to the some
      misunderstandings passed on with the "Backpack Gear Test"
      list call
      for Beta testers. After a couple of emails and a phone call, I
      finally got it straight; that the Safari was the hammock I wanted and
      was in fact what I had ordered. They even got my hammock here in time
      for a backpacking trip this weekend during which some the Boy Scouts
      in my troop will be trying the Original model Hennessey Hammock.

      First Impression:
      Since I weigh 300 pounds, and will be using the hammock a lot while
      trying to loose some of the extra weight, I inspected the hammock
      carefully looking for any flaws that could cause a weakness. The
      Safari is very well made, all of the seams are sewn well and there
      are gussets at all of the high stress points. The only flaw I could
      find was the rain fly attachment strap, on the entrance end is
      attached off center on the 2-inch hammock-hanging strap. As far as I
      am concerned it's purely cosmetic; I never even noticed it until
      tightened the rain fly while setting up the hammock.

      The setup instructions on the stuff sack are well written and make
      first time set up easy. Just for the fun of it I had my wife and 2 of
      my sister-in-law's try setting up both the Safari and the original
      models, they had no problems. Then as the ultimate test of the
      instructions, I had my 14-year-old son whose motto is "if all
      else
      fails look at the instructions, but what ever you do don't
      read". He
      had no problems with the Safari, but had to look at the picture on
      the stuff sack for tying instructions the first time he set up the
      original model.

      The Safari has a zipper closure instead of the snap tight closure on
      the other models. They have a nifty little pull system built into the
      Safari that allows you to open and close the zipper while lying in
      the hammock. The zipper pull system works well, but time will tell
      how well the pull system and zipper stand up to extended use.

      Just for the fun of it I pulled out the old baby scales to check the
      weight. After scientific calibration of the baby scales (yup a 5
      pound bag of sugar weighs 5 pounds) the Safari weighed 3 pounds 4
      ounces "advertised weight is 3.4 pounds". Just for the fun of
      it I
      weighed the Original model as well it weight 2 pounds 5
      ounces "advertised weight 2.25 pounds". For my money the weights
      were consistent with the advertised weight. Especially since my 3
      pound 12 ounce LL Bean backpacking tent actually weighs 5 pounds 4
      ounces.

      First Night:
      I decided to try the Safari last night. I set it up in the back yard,
      since it was very warm to this time of year in Maine; I didn't
      bother with any back insulation, just my old 20-degree synthetic bag.
      Air temp when I went to bed was 54 degrees. It felt like we were in
      for a shower so I set the Hammock up with the sides low. At about
      midnight we had a brief thundershower, with heavy rain and strong
      gusty wind. Where the hammock was set up, it was totally exposed to
      the wind and rain, It rocked some with the wind gusts, but wasn't
      objectionable and was dry. At about 2 a.m. when nature called, I had
      a brief bout with panic when I dawned on me that I had to open the
      zipper to get out. What was I going to do if the zipper stuck? But
      thankfully the zipper pull lines worked well, and I was on my way.
      The web site says that it can be difficult for a second person to get
      in and out of the Safari due to the first persons weight. But with
      one 300-pound person getting in is easy, but getting out is a bit of
      a chore. I find it difficult to get my short chubby legs far enough
      through the entry slot to reach the ground. To solve the problem I
      may add a second ridgeline of Para cord with 2 or 3 hand loops to
      help me get out.

      Over all I believe the Safari to be just what I have been looking
      for. It has lots of room and is very comfortable, in fact I find my
      Hennessy Hammock more comfortable to sleep in than my bed. I doubt
      that my tent will be getting much use in the future. I'm looking
      forward to camping in my Safari this weekend.

      I would and have recommended the Hennessy Hammocks to anyone that
      wants a good nights rest outdoors. In my opinion a quality product
      with outstanding customer service backing it up.

      Cliff Haynes

      My Stats.
      Male, 52 years old, 5'11' tall, 300 pounds, I am from and
      live in Maine, backpacking and canoe camping for over 45 years,
      assistant scout master, I average 2 to 3 days a week in the woods
      year round.
    • GearTester
      Message 2 of 2 , May 4, 2001
        Excellent report! I created a Hennessy Safari Deluxe folder with a
        Non-tester Comments folder. Could you please upload this report to that
        folder. Thanks.
        Jerry