Leki Ultralite TI Cor-Tec AS - Second Report

  • Sonjia Leyva
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2001
      I'm not sure if the poles arriving on a Friday afternoon was a good
      thing, or a bad thing. The good part was that I was able to test them
      out that weekend. The bad was that the hike that I had already
      committed to was not the best hike to test trekking poles on.

      Located within the Santa Monica Mountains, the hike to Santa Ynez
      waterfall is short, about 2.4 miles round trip. It's a pleasant hike,
      albeit well traveled and requiring some boulder hopping the last half
      a mile or so. The trail is also rather overgrown with brush from all
      the rain we had this winter.

      Once I had the poles adjusted properly, we were off. I found the
      poles to be very light weight and easy to get used to. I was quickly
      able to settle into a quick stride with very little effort. One thing
      that did bother me was the molded handles. The grip did not feel
      right to me - probably because, as a woman, I have smaller hands than
      my male counterparts. I also did not like the composite cork material
      the handle was made of. Of course, the trail narrowed, and it became
      impossible to use the poles while scrambling through the brush and
      over boulders. So the poles got stored for the remainder of the
      hike.

      To summarize:
      Likes:
      1. Poles are light weight, easy to use.
      2. I found myself able to maintain a steady, quick pace with
      relative ease.
      3. Great for going up hill. Dig the poles in and haul yourself up.

      Dislikes:
      1. Poles not always easy to adjust - overextending the shafts while
      adjusting is common
      2. Don't like the grip - both the fact that it is pre-molded to fit
      someone else's hand and the composite cork material.

      So. I'm still a little ambivalent about the poles. Perhaps it is
      because I have never really used trekking poles before and have yet
      to get used to them. At any rate, I plan to test them out on
      somewhat flatter ground next week. I'm hoping that the more I use
      them the less annoying my 'dislikes' will be.

      Stay tuned!

      Sonjia