Re: [BackpackGearTest] Re: Tent testing...

  • Christine Kudija
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 30, 2001
      Thanks for the extended post, Don - yes, it was the "determination" I was applying to the pole-seat that tore the aluminum sleeve.  Happened to be cold, snowy & windy at the time & I was solo....

       Perhaps the pole design was changed at some point.

      Husband & I now use a SD Meteor Lite semi-dome tent - the only time it failed was in gale-force winds above the forks of the San Juan River.  (fortunately we were car camping!)  I'm now considering a silnylon tarp, if I'm brave enough (the tent is such a nice cubbyhole...).  But the Meteor Lite is not lightweight, and exploring our options (including the Stephenson) is always something we don't mind doing.

      Christine

    • Eric.Kammerer@VerizonWireless.com
      Message 2 of 11 , May 1, 2001
        >I'd be very interested to hear people's experience with Stephenson tent poles,
        specifically the pole sleeves. We once >owned a late 1970's model & found that
        the pole sleeves tended to tear if one got the least bit careless in assembling
        >them. (the aluminum tore like heavy-duty aluminum foil). Has Jack improved
        this aspect of the product?

        I have a 2000 model year 5R. The instructions are still very specific about
        assembling/disasembling the poles carefully. So is the video -- although it was
        made quite a while ago (mid 90's). I haven't seen the earlier models, so I can't
        compare. This is still thin-wall aluminum tubing, so I doubt if it is much
        better -- there's no obvious reinforcement. It may be that his use of larger
        diameter poles may be partly to blame. It seems to make it much easier to get
        the type of misalignment that could damage the sleeves.

        I made a point of spraying the entire surface of the poles with silicon
        lubricant -- not just the sleeves. That way I have no troubles putting the poles
        together, and no troubles sliding them in the pole sleeves. I figured that any
        reduction of hassle was likely to reduce the probability of me doing something
        stupid...

        Eric
      • Christine Kudija
        Message 3 of 11 , May 1, 2001
          Great idea with the silicone lubricant for Stephenson tent poles.

          W/o going back to the Stephenson website, what size is the 5R?

          The reason I'm asking is whether it's a 2-person tent....and if so, I've another question....

          Thanks - Christine
        • dladigin@efn.org
          Message 4 of 11 , May 1, 2001
            Hi again, Christine,

            The first number of a Stephenson Tent indicates the number of people
            that the Stephensons expect the tent to normally fit. So a 2=2
            people, 5=5people, etc. In an emergency more can be squeezed in, and
            fewer people than the tent is designed for gives luxurious roominess.

            I've used my 2X alone and also with one tentmate, and it works great
            either way. For a single camper it's palatial, and with the side
            windows open there is a feeling of even greater spaciousness. I can't
            believe that after over 20 years I still like this tent so much. :^)
            Best, Don L.

            --- "Christine Kudija" <cmkudija@e...> wrote:
            > W/o going back to the Stephenson website, what size is the 5R?
            >
            > The reason I'm asking is whether it's a 2-person tent....and if so,
            I've another question....

            > Thanks - Christine
          • Christine Kudija
            Message 5 of 11 , May 2, 2001
              Thanks, Don.  What had bothered us about our old Stephenson (besides the pole fragility...) was that even when I sat upright in the tent, the interior wall draped on my head.  I'm 5' 5"...not exactly um, tall.  My husband is 6'1" - so you can imagine how uncomfortable he was.  I'm happy to hear your comments regarding the "palatial" qualities of your 2X.   They are definitely helpful in the tent triage process!

              Christine
            • dladigin@efn.org
              Message 6 of 11 , May 3, 2001
                Christine, I understand what you mean, ceiling droop is really
                annoying. The 2X is a single wall tent, so it doesn't have an
                interior wall/ceiling to droop. If you set the tent up so it is taut,
                there is no interior ceiling to get slack.

                I've noticed the annoying interior ceiling droop you mention on many
                tents that had a separate fly, including a MSR/Walrus Zoid 2 that I
                used recently! We tried very hard to pitch the Zoid tight enough to
                lose this droop, but couldn't do it. Maybe it was a problem with just
                how that particular tent had been sewn, the fly seemed slightly too
                small for the rest of the tent.

                Incidentally, the Zoid had these unusual short tent pegs which were
                square in cross section. I'd never seen anything quite like them
                before, but they worked fine in duff. I thought the hook on the end
                of the pegs could have been a little bigger though, I guess I'm used
                to the sort of shepherd's crook that Simon Metals puts in their tent
                stakes. I'll keep quiet now, so my comments don't influence the
                people who are officially testing those tents. :^) Best, Don L.