Re: [BackpackGearTest] Re: Coffee Filter

  • JimSabis@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
      In a message dated 2/1/2003 7:10:30 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      gg@... writes:

      > Andrew, you must have found some good one's then :-) what are they ?
      > I've given up drinking instant coffee as I find it really diuretic,so
      > I was really keen to try some good quality coffee bags I got. Took a
      > few of them on a short backpack we did between Xmas and New Year, but
      > to my taste they were a bit like exhausted filter coffee. If I find
      > any others I'll try them, but otherwise I'll stick to tea

      Graham - There was a thread on this awhile back, if you want to check the
      archives. (or was it BPL?)

      In brief: If you really want good coffee, you can have it with a minimum of
      fuss. just pack fresh grounds in an airtight container (one of the many
      Nalgene varieties come to mind) and the MSR 1 cup filter (Campmor-$12.95).
      not much more trouble (or weight) than tea and you get a real cup of coffee.

      Jim S.

    • Graham Blamey <gg@higray.fsnet.co.uk>
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, JimSabis@a... wrote:

        > Graham - There was a thread on this awhile back, if you want to
        check the
        > archives. (or was it BPL?)
        > In brief: If you really want good coffee, you can have it with a
        minimum of
        > fuss. just pack fresh grounds in an airtight container (one of the
        many
        > Nalgene varieties come to mind) and the MSR 1 cup filter (Campmor-
        $12.95).
        > not much more trouble (or weight) than tea and you get a real cup
        of coffee.

        > Jim S.

        Thanks Jim,
        just checked out the MSR site and they have a filter gismo they call
        a 'Mugmate'. I'll see if I can get one here in the UK
        Thanks again,
        Graham
      • JimSabis@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
          In a message dated 2/1/2003 2:22:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          gg@... writes:

          > Thanks Jim,
          > just checked out the MSR site and they have a filter gismo they call
          > a 'Mugmate'. I'll see if I can get one here in the UK
          > Thanks again,

          Graham - That's the one. Let me know if you find one.

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, JimSabis@a... wrote:

            > Graham - That's the one. Let me know if you find one.
            > Jim S.

            Yup, just Goggle'd it and it's available here from a couple of places
            mail order (Campmor $12.95 UK £13.00 hmmphhh)
            I'll get one and let you know what I think, ideal review material :-)
            Cheers, Graham
          • Andrew Priest
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
              At 08:10 PM 01/02/2003, you wrote:
              >--- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Priest <apriest@i...>
              >wrote:
              > > Do you guys have coffee bags (like tea bags)? We have these which
              >are
              > > plunger coffee in a bag. Great for bushwalking. Light as and all
              >you have
              > > to do is just add hot water
              > > Cheers
              > > Andrew
              >
              >Andrew, you must have found some good one's then :-) what are they ?

              Hi Graham

              Compared to instant coffee, they are good, but not as good as the real
              thing. The one I normally buy is Robert Timms Italian Espresso as it comes
              in a box of 18, but this week I picked up a box of Harris Espresso Coffee
              Bags to try.

              Until recently, the Robert Timms where the only ones we could get. I find
              you need to leave them in the mug for a long time to get a reasonably level
              of flavour. Robert Timms have their bags online at
              http://www.roberttimms.com/our/bags.cfm.

              Regards
              Andrew
              --
              Aushiker: Hiking in Western Australia - http://aushiker.com

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
                At 06:28 AM 02/02/2003, you wrote:
                >--- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, JimSabis@a... wrote:
                >
                > > Graham - That's the one. Let me know if you find one.
                > > Jim S.
                >
                >Yup, just Goggle'd it and it's available here from a couple of places
                >mail order (Campmor $12.95 UK £13.00 hmmphhh)
                >I'll get one and let you know what I think, ideal review material :-)

                Hi Graham

                Yep; and be quick :-)

                Andrew

                --