Re: Coffee Filter

  • Graham Blamey <gg@higray.fsnet.co.uk>
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Marge Prothman"
      <marge@p...> wrote:
      > Hi Graham,
      >
      > I too, am not a fan of the coffee bag, however they become
      drinkable if used
      > with a
      > small drop of "Southern Comfort".
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Marge [The Old Gal]
      > http://www.prothman.org/marge

      Marge,
      'One' of my favourite drinks in Spain is a 'carajilla', black coffee
      with brandy (or rum), very reviving :-)
      Graham.

      (just checked out the site Marge, top stuff, current mug-shot seems
      to be missing tho.)
    • JimSabis@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
        In a message dated 2/1/2003 7:10:30 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        gg@... writes:

        > Andrew, you must have found some good one's then :-) what are they ?
        > I've given up drinking instant coffee as I find it really diuretic,so
        > I was really keen to try some good quality coffee bags I got. Took a
        > few of them on a short backpack we did between Xmas and New Year, but
        > to my taste they were a bit like exhausted filter coffee. If I find
        > any others I'll try them, but otherwise I'll stick to tea

        Graham - There was a thread on this awhile back, if you want to check the
        archives. (or was it BPL?)

        In brief: If you really want good coffee, you can have it with a minimum of
        fuss. just pack fresh grounds in an airtight container (one of the many
        Nalgene varieties come to mind) and the MSR 1 cup filter (Campmor-$12.95).
        not much more trouble (or weight) than tea and you get a real cup of coffee.

        Jim S.

      • Graham Blamey <gg@higray.fsnet.co.uk>
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, JimSabis@a... wrote:

          > Graham - There was a thread on this awhile back, if you want to
          check the
          > archives. (or was it BPL?)
          > In brief: If you really want good coffee, you can have it with a
          minimum of
          > fuss. just pack fresh grounds in an airtight container (one of the
          many
          > Nalgene varieties come to mind) and the MSR 1 cup filter (Campmor-
          $12.95).
          > not much more trouble (or weight) than tea and you get a real cup
          of coffee.

          > Jim S.

          Thanks Jim,
          just checked out the MSR site and they have a filter gismo they call
          a 'Mugmate'. I'll see if I can get one here in the UK
          Thanks again,
          Graham
        • JimSabis@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
            In a message dated 2/1/2003 2:22:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            gg@... writes:

            > Thanks Jim,
            > just checked out the MSR site and they have a filter gismo they call
            > a 'Mugmate'. I'll see if I can get one here in the UK
            > Thanks again,

            Graham - That's the one. Let me know if you find one.

            Jim S.

          • Graham Blamey <gg@higray.fsnet.co.uk>
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, JimSabis@a... wrote:

              > Graham - That's the one. Let me know if you find one.
              > Jim S.

              Yup, just Goggle'd it and it's available here from a couple of places
              mail order (Campmor $12.95 UK £13.00 hmmphhh)
              I'll get one and let you know what I think, ideal review material :-)
              Cheers, Graham
            • Andrew Priest
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
                At 08:10 PM 01/02/2003, you wrote:
                >--- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Priest <apriest@i...>
                >wrote:
                > > Do you guys have coffee bags (like tea bags)? We have these which
                >are
                > > plunger coffee in a bag. Great for bushwalking. Light as and all
                >you have
                > > to do is just add hot water
                > > Cheers
                > > Andrew
                >
                >Andrew, you must have found some good one's then :-) what are they ?

                Hi Graham

                Compared to instant coffee, they are good, but not as good as the real
                thing. The one I normally buy is Robert Timms Italian Espresso as it comes
                in a box of 18, but this week I picked up a box of Harris Espresso Coffee
                Bags to try.

                Until recently, the Robert Timms where the only ones we could get. I find
                you need to leave them in the mug for a long time to get a reasonably level
                of flavour. Robert Timms have their bags online at
                http://www.roberttimms.com/our/bags.cfm.

                Regards
                Andrew
                --
                Aushiker: Hiking in Western Australia - http://aushiker.com

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
                  At 06:28 AM 02/02/2003, you wrote:
                  >--- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, JimSabis@a... wrote:
                  >
                  > > Graham - That's the one. Let me know if you find one.
                  > > Jim S.
                  >
                  >Yup, just Goggle'd it and it's available here from a couple of places
                  >mail order (Campmor $12.95 UK £13.00 hmmphhh)
                  >I'll get one and let you know what I think, ideal review material :-)

                  Hi Graham

                  Yep; and be quick :-)

                  Andrew

                  --