RE: [BackpackGearTest] Re: Coffee Filter

  • Marge Prothman
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
      Hi Graham,

      I too, am not a fan of the coffee bag, however they become drinkable if used
      with a
      small drop of "Southern Comfort".
      Cheers,

      Marge [The Old Gal]
      http://www.prothman.org/marge

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
          In a message dated 2/1/2003 7:10:30 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          gg@... writes:

          > Andrew, you must have found some good one's then :-) what are they ?
          > I've given up drinking instant coffee as I find it really diuretic,so
          > I was really keen to try some good quality coffee bags I got. Took a
          > few of them on a short backpack we did between Xmas and New Year, but
          > to my taste they were a bit like exhausted filter coffee. If I find
          > any others I'll try them, but otherwise I'll stick to tea

          Graham - There was a thread on this awhile back, if you want to check the
          archives. (or was it BPL?)

          In brief: If you really want good coffee, you can have it with a minimum of
          fuss. just pack fresh grounds in an airtight container (one of the many
          Nalgene varieties come to mind) and the MSR 1 cup filter (Campmor-$12.95).
          not much more trouble (or weight) than tea and you get a real cup of coffee.

          Jim S.

        • Graham Blamey <gg@higray.fsnet.co.uk>
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, JimSabis@a... wrote:

            > Graham - There was a thread on this awhile back, if you want to
            check the
            > archives. (or was it BPL?)
            > In brief: If you really want good coffee, you can have it with a
            minimum of
            > fuss. just pack fresh grounds in an airtight container (one of the
            many
            > Nalgene varieties come to mind) and the MSR 1 cup filter (Campmor-
            $12.95).
            > not much more trouble (or weight) than tea and you get a real cup
            of coffee.

            > Jim S.

            Thanks Jim,
            just checked out the MSR site and they have a filter gismo they call
            a 'Mugmate'. I'll see if I can get one here in the UK
            Thanks again,
            Graham
          • JimSabis@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
              In a message dated 2/1/2003 2:22:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              gg@... writes:

              > Thanks Jim,
              > just checked out the MSR site and they have a filter gismo they call
              > a 'Mugmate'. I'll see if I can get one here in the UK
              > Thanks again,

              Graham - That's the one. Let me know if you find one.

              Jim S.

            • Graham Blamey <gg@higray.fsnet.co.uk>
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
                --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, JimSabis@a... wrote:

                > Graham - That's the one. Let me know if you find one.
                > Jim S.

                Yup, just Goggle'd it and it's available here from a couple of places
                mail order (Campmor $12.95 UK £13.00 hmmphhh)
                I'll get one and let you know what I think, ideal review material :-)
                Cheers, Graham
              • Andrew Priest
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
                  At 08:10 PM 01/02/2003, you wrote:
                  >--- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Priest <apriest@i...>
                  >wrote:
                  > > Do you guys have coffee bags (like tea bags)? We have these which
                  >are
                  > > plunger coffee in a bag. Great for bushwalking. Light as and all
                  >you have
                  > > to do is just add hot water
                  > > Cheers
                  > > Andrew
                  >
                  >Andrew, you must have found some good one's then :-) what are they ?

                  Hi Graham

                  Compared to instant coffee, they are good, but not as good as the real
                  thing. The one I normally buy is Robert Timms Italian Espresso as it comes
                  in a box of 18, but this week I picked up a box of Harris Espresso Coffee
                  Bags to try.

                  Until recently, the Robert Timms where the only ones we could get. I find
                  you need to leave them in the mug for a long time to get a reasonably level
                  of flavour. Robert Timms have their bags online at
                  http://www.roberttimms.com/our/bags.cfm.

                  Regards
                  Andrew
                  --
                  Aushiker: Hiking in Western Australia - http://aushiker.com

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
                    At 06:28 AM 02/02/2003, you wrote:
                    >--- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, JimSabis@a... wrote:
                    >
                    > > Graham - That's the one. Let me know if you find one.
                    > > Jim S.
                    >
                    >Yup, just Goggle'd it and it's available here from a couple of places
                    >mail order (Campmor $12.95 UK £13.00 hmmphhh)
                    >I'll get one and let you know what I think, ideal review material :-)

                    Hi Graham

                    Yep; and be quick :-)

                    Andrew

                    --