Coffee Filter was Re: [BackpackGearTest] Owner Review--Snow Peak Double Wall Cup

  • hhloth@msn.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 31, 2003
      I have a one cup brewer called a coffee caddy, it is similar (might be the same) to the $2.99 one on Campmor. Heavy (1.6 oz) and a bit bulky ( 4" diam). I don't carry it anymore, but it makes a great cup of drip coffee in warm weather. Works as a water filter too.

      Helen

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 31, 2003
        At 02:42 AM 01/02/2003, you wrote:
        >I have a one cup brewer called a coffee caddy, it is similar (might be
        >the same) to the $2.99 one on Campmor. Heavy (1.6 oz) and a bit bulky (
        >4" diam). I don't carry it anymore, but it makes a great cup of drip
        >coffee in warm weather. Works as a water filter too.

        Hi Helen

        Do you guys have coffee bags (like tea bags)? We have these which are
        plunger coffee in a bag. Great for bushwalking. Light as and all you have
        to do is just add hot water.

        Cheers
        Andrew
        --
        Aushiker: Hiking in Western Australia - http://aushiker.com

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Priest <apriest@i...>
          wrote:
          > Do you guys have coffee bags (like tea bags)? We have these which
          are
          > plunger coffee in a bag. Great for bushwalking. Light as and all
          you have
          > to do is just add hot water
          > Cheers
          > Andrew

          Andrew, you must have found some good one's then :-) what are they ?
          I've given up drinking instant coffee as I find it really diuretic,so
          I was really keen to try some good quality coffee bags I got. Took a
          few of them on a short backpack we did between Xmas and New Year, but
          to my taste they were a bit like exhausted filter coffee. If I find
          any others I'll try them, but otherwise I'll stick to tea
          Cheers Graham
        • Marge Prothman
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
            Hi Graham,

            I too, am not a fan of the coffee bag, however they become drinkable if used
            with a
            small drop of "Southern Comfort".
            Cheers,

            Marge [The Old Gal]
            http://www.prothman.org/marge

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
                In a message dated 2/1/2003 7:10:30 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                gg@... writes:

                > Andrew, you must have found some good one's then :-) what are they ?
                > I've given up drinking instant coffee as I find it really diuretic,so
                > I was really keen to try some good quality coffee bags I got. Took a
                > few of them on a short backpack we did between Xmas and New Year, but
                > to my taste they were a bit like exhausted filter coffee. If I find
                > any others I'll try them, but otherwise I'll stick to tea

                Graham - There was a thread on this awhile back, if you want to check the
                archives. (or was it BPL?)

                In brief: If you really want good coffee, you can have it with a minimum of
                fuss. just pack fresh grounds in an airtight container (one of the many
                Nalgene varieties come to mind) and the MSR 1 cup filter (Campmor-$12.95).
                not much more trouble (or weight) than tea and you get a real cup of coffee.

                Jim S.

              • Graham Blamey <gg@higray.fsnet.co.uk>
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
                  --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, JimSabis@a... wrote:

                  > Graham - There was a thread on this awhile back, if you want to
                  check the
                  > archives. (or was it BPL?)
                  > In brief: If you really want good coffee, you can have it with a
                  minimum of
                  > fuss. just pack fresh grounds in an airtight container (one of the
                  many
                  > Nalgene varieties come to mind) and the MSR 1 cup filter (Campmor-
                  $12.95).
                  > not much more trouble (or weight) than tea and you get a real cup
                  of coffee.

                  > Jim S.

                  Thanks Jim,
                  just checked out the MSR site and they have a filter gismo they call
                  a 'Mugmate'. I'll see if I can get one here in the UK
                  Thanks again,
                  Graham
                • JimSabis@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
                    In a message dated 2/1/2003 2:22:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                    gg@... writes:

                    > Thanks Jim,
                    > just checked out the MSR site and they have a filter gismo they call
                    > a 'Mugmate'. I'll see if I can get one here in the UK
                    > Thanks again,

                    Graham - That's the one. Let me know if you find one.

                    Jim S.

                  • Graham Blamey <gg@higray.fsnet.co.uk>
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
                      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, JimSabis@a... wrote:

                      > Graham - That's the one. Let me know if you find one.
                      > Jim S.

                      Yup, just Goggle'd it and it's available here from a couple of places
                      mail order (Campmor $12.95 UK £13.00 hmmphhh)
                      I'll get one and let you know what I think, ideal review material :-)
                      Cheers, Graham
                    • Andrew Priest
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
                        At 08:10 PM 01/02/2003, you wrote:
                        >--- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Priest <apriest@i...>
                        >wrote:
                        > > Do you guys have coffee bags (like tea bags)? We have these which
                        >are
                        > > plunger coffee in a bag. Great for bushwalking. Light as and all
                        >you have
                        > > to do is just add hot water
                        > > Cheers
                        > > Andrew
                        >
                        >Andrew, you must have found some good one's then :-) what are they ?

                        Hi Graham

                        Compared to instant coffee, they are good, but not as good as the real
                        thing. The one I normally buy is Robert Timms Italian Espresso as it comes
                        in a box of 18, but this week I picked up a box of Harris Espresso Coffee
                        Bags to try.

                        Until recently, the Robert Timms where the only ones we could get. I find
                        you need to leave them in the mug for a long time to get a reasonably level
                        of flavour. Robert Timms have their bags online at
                        http://www.roberttimms.com/our/bags.cfm.

                        Regards
                        Andrew
                        --
                        Aushiker: Hiking in Western Australia - http://aushiker.com

                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
                          At 06:28 AM 02/02/2003, you wrote:
                          >--- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, JimSabis@a... wrote:
                          >
                          > > Graham - That's the one. Let me know if you find one.
                          > > Jim S.
                          >
                          >Yup, just Goggle'd it and it's available here from a couple of places
                          >mail order (Campmor $12.95 UK £13.00 hmmphhh)
                          >I'll get one and let you know what I think, ideal review material :-)

                          Hi Graham

                          Yep; and be quick :-)

                          Andrew

                          --