Two Questions

  • dawnhark <dawnhark@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 30, 2003
      1. Anyone have an on-line (free) dictionary they particularly like?

      2. Jerry, could we run a poll to get BGTers opinions on whether it's
      best to locate Tester Info at the top or the bottom of a report? I
      keep changing my mind on this.

      Dawn, slowly, slowly typing her NEOS report....
    • Andrew Priest
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 30, 2003
        At 04:02 PM 30/01/2003, you wrote:
        >1. Anyone have an on-line (free) dictionary they particularly like?

        Try http://www.onelook.com/

        Andrew
        --
        Aushiker: Hiking in Western Australia - http://aushiker.com

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 30, 2003
          re: dictionary

          I use Merriam-Webster:
          http://www.m-w.com/netdict.htm

          James T.

          Andrew Priest <apriest@...>

          01/30/2003 03:21 AM
          Please respond to BackpackGearTest

          At 04:02 PM 30/01/2003, you wrote:
          >1. Anyone have an on-line (free) dictionary they particularly like?

          Try http://www.onelook.com/

          Andrew
          --
          Aushiker: Hiking in Western Australia - http://aushiker.com
        • David Chinell
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 30, 2003
            Dawn: I really like Merriam-Webster, whether in print or
            online. Fortunately, they do have a free online service:

            http://www.m-w.com/dictionary.htm

            Bear
          • Jeff Widman
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 30, 2003
              Try http://www.dictionary.com/

              It seems pretty good; I especially like their "Word of the Day" list. It's great for building SAT vocabulary.
              Jeff
              --
              Jeff Widman
              Member ANA, CONECA, BCC, WINS

              1. Anyone have an on-line (free) dictionary they particularly like?

              2. Jerry, could we run a poll to get BGTers opinions on whether it's
              best to locate Tester Info at the top or the bottom of a report? I
              keep changing my mind on this.

              Dawn, slowly, slowly typing her NEOS report....

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Andy Mytys <amytys@highstream.net>
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 30, 2003
                --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "dawnhark <dawnhark@y...>"

                http://websters.com - does the job.

                > 2. Jerry, could we run a poll to get BGTers opinions on whether
                > it's best to locate Tester Info at the top or the bottom of a
                > report? I keep changing my mind on this.

                I'd rather hear rationale rather than just draw a line.

                I split the two, myself (I assume you're talking personal info when
                you say "Tester Info").

                I put the stats like size, weight, age, and the like at the top.
                Especially with things like backpacks and sleeping bags, knowing the
                size of someone before getting into the meaty details of the product
                is nice, IMO.

                Now, the ancillery bio about me has little bearing on the test
                itself. At most, it may give credence to some statement by hinting
                at my level of experience. I would think a well written report would
                need no extra build-up, though. It is for these reasons that I put
                the bio at the bottom of the report.

                In my Initial Reports, I also put the "Joe Friday" description of the
                box it came in. While it is part of the deliverables, and part of my
                experience, it is not something that a reader of my review will go
                through themselves, hence it is relegated to the bottom of the report.

                I say "Joe Friday" because they read so much like Dragnet dialog -
                "On Saturday, Jan 10th 2003, at 10 in the morning, the UPS driver
                delivered a package to my door" - DOM-DA-DA-DOM!
              • Chief Moderator
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 30, 2003
                  Not so. The view of the tester is greatly affected by where they are "coming
                  from" (weekender only, thru hiker, lightweight, ultralightweight,
                  heavyweight, just nice weather, bring it on, etc.). That's why I included
                  that part. I really do have a reason for most of the things I do........
                  ;o One of the least important things it conveys is your experience level.
                  While that is a handy thing to know, it's not the most important.
                  Jerry

                  http://www.BackpackGearTest.org <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> : the

                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                • Andy Mytys <amytys@highstream.net>
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 30, 2003
                    hmmmm.... I guess it could also depend on how a test is written.

                    For example, one can label themselves as a "heavyweight hard-core
                    hiker" yet only use the gear for day-hiking only. Dayhikers would
                    still be interested, due to the use. You might also get others
                    interested, based on item stats, as some stretch manufacturer "use"
                    claims (e.g. dayhike bags being used by Ultras for Thru's).

                    If the testing scenarios are given in the report, then I see the
                    perspective is coming from being used in dayhiking, irrespective to
                    what the users other interests (heavyweight backpacking) may be.

                    I won't discount entirely that the perspective is "from a heavyweight
                    hiker", as their take on gear is different.

                    I suppose it's all about what the reader is looking to take home from
                    a report. Especially for newbies, there may be some looking to
                    identify with the tester as much as with the product itself.

                    For me, I want to see the product beat up, know how it was beat up,
                    and get a report on how it weathered the various conditions in terms
                    of durability and user satisfaction... not perceived from a "use"
                    perspective but based on measured results.

                    So, I suppose I order the content of my reports based on my perceived
                    importance of the report contents, with special consideration to
                    chronology of tests and grouping like tests/characteristics together.

                    The bio is there, but near the end because, while it may be important
                    for some, I perceive it to be in the way of the "meat" I'm presenting.

                    A good example of why it's nice that the Survival Guide gives
                    leverage to format.

                    --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Chief Moderator"

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 30, 2003
                      Well, as long as it's important to me, I think I'll keep it in there........
                      ;o) And, remember, I ultimately decide what does and doesn't go in the
                      Guide............

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 30, 2003
                        Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying "ditch it". I'm just saying why
                        I put it near the end, rather than at the top.

                        <ChiefModerator@B...> wrote:
                        > Well, as long as it's important to me, I think I'll keep it in
                        there........
                        > ;o) And, remember, I ultimately decide what does and doesn't go in
                        the
                        > Guide............
                        > Jerry
                        >

                        > http://www.BackpackGearTest.org
                        <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> : the
                        > most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.

                        Service

                      • scot_caz <scot_c@mindspring.com>
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 30, 2003
                          <ChiefModerator@B...> wrote:
                          And, remember, I ultimately decide what does and doesn't go in the
                          > Guide............
                          > Jerry

                          El Jefe has spoken and the mountains tremble '-).

                          I like the bio at the beginning to help me form a mental image of the
                          tester, but I don't think it's a big deal (top or bottom) as long as
                          some sort of tester qualifications/bio are there. Not that my
                          opinion matters.

                          Scot
                        • Chief Moderator
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 30, 2003
                            I'm not sure they tremble but sometimes they sure look nervous..... ;o)
                            Jerry

                            http://www.BackpackGearTest.org <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> : the

                            And, remember, I ultimately decide what does and doesn't go in the
                            > Guide............
                            > Jerry

                            El Jefe has spoken and the mountains tremble '-).

                            I like the bio at the beginning to help me form a mental image of the
                            tester, but I don't think it's a big deal (top or bottom) as long as
                            some sort of tester qualifications/bio are there. Not that my
                            opinion matters.

                            Scot

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244396.2846622.4218523.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=17050660
                            05:HM/A=1414307/R=0/*https://www.clearcredit.com/registration/default.asp?n=
                            b&cpID=c01888p1379&ckID=gen14628>

                            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244396.2846622.4218523.2848452/D=egroupmai
                            l/S=:HM/A=1414307/rand=751678393>

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 30, 2003
                              <ChiefModerator@B...> wrote:
                              > I'm not sure they tremble but sometimes they sure look
                              nervous..... ;o)
                              > Jerry

                              Is that when you take your sandals and sox off at night?

                              Scot
                            • Chief Moderator
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 30, 2003
                                Yuppers....
                                Jerry

                                http://www.BackpackGearTest.org <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> : the

                                > I'm not sure they tremble but sometimes they sure look
                                nervous..... ;o)
                                > Jerry

                                Is that when you take your sandals and sox off at night?

                                Scot

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244396.2846622.4218523.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=17050660
                                05:HM/A=1414307/R=0/*https://www.clearcredit.com/registration/default.asp?n=