Re: Leki Ultralite TI Cor-Tec AS - Initial Report

  • Sonjia
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 27, 2001
      Yeah, well, one does what one can with what one has . . . ;0)
      I decided not to scrape off a sample and test it in the mass
      spectrometer at school. I guess I'll just have to trust Leki that
      the poles really are titanium. <grin>

      I guess I was being a bit sarcasitic with the "whopping" bit. So
      many people are concerned with weight (justifiably), but coming in
      less than an ounce over "spec" is well within an item's specification
      range. The numbers givin in a specification are either averages or
      the best achieved - whatever makes the gear, and the company, look
      better. They're a guideline and should be taken as such.

      Plus, I've just made the transition to backpacker. As a geologist,
      you go out with a pack, water, maps, brunton compass
      (http://www.brunton.com/recreational_products/compasses/transits_main.
      htm) and a few other things. That you can control, sort of. But you
      usually need to pick up samples of rocks from the area, and that you
      can't control. I've come back with thirty pounds of rocks before.
      And they don't pack as nicely as traditional gear.

      Gosh, I miss field work! <silly grin from ear to ear>

      Sonjia