CRH Final Packa Review

  • Clifford R. Haynes
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 11, 2003
      Packa
      Full Coverage Backpacking Rain Parka
      By Cedar Tree
      Final Report

      Clifford Haynes
      chaynes@...
      Western Maine
      12/30/2002

      Personal Stats.
      Male; 54 years old; 5'11" (1.8m) tall; 300 pounds(136kg); I am from and live
      in Maine; hiking, backpacking, and canoe camping for over 45 years;
      assistant scout master; I average 2 to 3 days a week in the woods year
      round.
      Jacket size XXXL

      I can't really say that I have a backpacking style. I take what I need or
      want depending upon what I plan to do on the outing. Even before my knees
      became a problem, I could never see being in a big rush. It is my opinion
      that camping is part of backpacking, and should be enjoyed at least as much
      as the hiking. In areas where there is a lot of hiker traffic, I tend to
      pack heavier in order to minimize impact. I just like being out in the
      woods, and exploring.

      Item Tested:
      Packa, "The Worlds First Full Coverage Backpacking Rain Parka"
      Silicon Impregnated Model (available 6/25/2002)

      Cedar Tree
      For more information;
      Edward Hinnant
      email packa@...

      http://www.thepacka.com

      The Packa is a backpacking rain parka that provides protection for both the
      backpacker and pack. It can be worn as a pack cover, and donned as a parker
      / pack cover without removing the pack. This is a rain / wind parker that
      protects the backpacker and his / her complete pack as well (even the belt
      and shoulder straps). There are zipper vents under the armpits for lots
      ventilation. The manufacturer lists the weight of the Packa at 10oz (283g).
      (mine weighs 9.9oz (280g. ). When not in use the Packa can be stuffed in a
      large pocket on the right hand side of the Packa. When stuffed the
      dimensions are approximately 10 1/2" (27cm) X 5" (12.7cm) X 6" (15cm), but
      it will compress to almost flat in the pack.

      Field Information:
      Testing was performed in Maine. Temperatures ranged from high 0 F (-17C). to
      mid 80's F (27C). and elevations from sea level to about 4500 feet (1372m).
      I have taken the Packa as raingear on every outing I have been on since the
      test began. These outings included several hikes on the A.T., a 9 day trip
      on the Allagash, and the Maine Island Trail.

      Final Report:
      November and December provided an opportunity to test the Packa in some
      rather nasty conditions (sleet and heavy wet snow). The Packa worked well
      for me in these conditions. I was most concerned that the seams would leak
      while hiking in the heavy wet snow. The snow can build up quite a bit on the
      shoulders and pack cover section of the Packa. Body heat causes the snow to
      melt providing an opportunity for the seams to leak. I had no problems with
      the seals leaking, but I did experience wetting out of the front zipper. I
      still feel that a zipper rain flap is necessary for someone my size,
      especially in cold weather.

      After 6 month of testing the Packa, my opinion hasn't changed. I am very
      happy with the Packa, and I continue to use the Packa as my primary rain
      jacket for 3 season backpacking.

      Unfortunately I'm too big (I wear a size XXXL jacket) for using the Packa as
      rain gear in camp in really cold weather. For someone my size, a t-shirt and
      light fleece or sweater is about all that will fit under the Packa. While
      this provides adequate warmth for me while moving, it isn't enough for
      sitting around in camp. This is in a way an issue of style. Most folks I see
      on the trail retire to there sleeping bag and tent or a shelter upon
      arriving in camp, especially when it is wet, snowing, or very cold. I like
      to be out in the weather, and tinker with something or just watch and listen
      to the woods around me. In camp I either need a large rain fly or rain gear
      large enough to keep my camp jacket dry. Now that the test is over I will be
      switching to a poncho for winter use (only because of my size requirements).

      Durability:
      Prior to writing this final report, I carefully inspected my Packa and my
      wife's, for signs of wear. I could find no thread fraying or breakage in the
      seams, and no tears or punctures in the fabric. Our Packa have seen
      considerable use during the test period as we have used them as wind
      breakers, paddle jackets, and of course as rain gear. I am convinced that my
      Packa rain parka will provide me many years of reliable service.

      Final Thoughts:
      I would and have recommended the Packa to a friend. I bought a second Packa
      for my wife, and I plan to buy a third Packa for my son this spring. I
      really like having a dry pack when I make camp. The only criticism I have is
      the lack of a rain flap over the zipper. The large zipper arm pit vents work
      well for me, and would provide even better ventilation if I were smaller.
    • Shane Steinkamp
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 12, 2003
        Thanks Rocky. Here are you edits. Glad to have you back. :)

        Shane
        Packa Monitor

        ***

        > Personal Stats.

        Extra space.

        > 300 pounds(136kg);

        Need space after 'pounds'.

        > donned as a parker

        'parka'

        > This is a rain / wind parker that

        'parka'

        > (mine weighs 9.9oz (280g. ).

        Extra space after '280g.'
      • Clifford R. Haynes
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 12, 2003
          Thanks Shane, goofs are fixed and I'll upload ASAP.
          Rocky

        • Shane Steinkamp
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 12, 2003
            > Thanks Shane, goofs are fixed and I'll upload ASAP.

            Thanks Rocky. The HTML looks great. Only problem is that the clickable
            link in your header (by Cedar Tree) is the old address.

            Shane
            Packa Monitor
          • Clifford R. Haynes
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 13, 2003
              Thanks Shane, it's fixed. I changed once, but apparently didn't save it. I should have checked it myself, sorry.
              Rocky
              > Thanks Shane, goofs are fixed and I'll upload ASAP.

              Thanks Rocky. The HTML looks great. Only problem is that the clickable
              link in your header (by Cedar Tree) is the old address.

              Shane
              Packa Monitor

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor