OWNERS REVIEW: Seirus Neofleece Combo Scarf

  • Bob Farrell <farmerbob48@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2002

      Seirus Neofleece Combo Scarf

      Bob Farrell
      "Farmer Bob"
      37, male, 6'2"
      170 pounds
      Berwick, ME

      I am an avid hiker and I hike up in the White Mountains of New
      Hampshire whenever I can. I am currently working on becoming a
      member of the AMC's Four Thousand Footers Club of the White
      Mountains. To become a member, I must climb 48 mountains in the
      White Mountains that are over 4000'. I have climbed 23 of them so
      far. I also have a website for hikers that are working towards
      membership into the Four Thousand Footers Club. The websites name is
      "4000'ers Journals of the White Mountains" at

      I started winter hiking in the White Mountains last year and I love
      it. I am also working on the Winter 4000 Footers list and I have
      hiked two mountains so far.

      I have hiked for over 12 years. I have hiked sections of the A.T. in
      New York, New Jersey, and New Hampshire. I hope someday to be able
      to hike the entire A.T. I also hike with my wife and 5-year old son.
      My wife Jenifer carries our 1-year old daughter on her back with a
      Kelty Kid Carrier. It's fun getting out with the whole family.

      Seirus Innovation
      No URL for Seirus. No web address on package.
      The weight was not listed.
      It weighs 2 oz.

      Weather in the White Mountains is unpredictable. It can snow any
      time of the year and it rains a lot. Temperatures in the summer can
      dip down to the 20's and 30's. Many of the mountains rise over 4000
      feet with moderate to steep trails. Several trails are very steep
      with a lot of rock climbing and boulder hoping. There are many
      streams and creeks with several lakes.

      Seirus Neofleece Combo Scarf
      Fleece Lined Neoprene
      Neofleece Face Mask with Integrated Fleece Scarf
      4-way Neofleece stretch outer
      Fleece next to skin.
      Windproof/Waterproof closed-cell Neoprene

      12/25/02 - 12/26/02

      I bought the Seirus Neofleece Combo Scarf last month before I
      started winter hiking. I got a chance to use it before hiking when
      New England received a snowstorm. In Berwick Maine it snowed over
      16 inches in 2 days.

      Around 7pm I got geared up to go out and shovel. I put on my OR
      Neve hat, and then I put on the Seirus Neofleece Combo Scarf. I
      pulled the facemask towards my face and attached it in the back. It
      attached easily with two Velcro strips. The nose section jets out a
      little and it's open on the bottom. There are many small holes in
      the facemask around the mouth area.

      It was 27 degrees and snowing. The wind was around 15 miles per
      hour. The facemask really blocked the wind. My face stayed dry
      during the 2 hours that I shoveled. The scarf section that covers
      my whole neck kept me warm. Also the facemask didn't move around at

      When I was done shoveling, I inspected the Seirus facemask. The
      mask and the scarf were wet on the outside but dry on the inside.

      The only thing I noticed about the Seirus Neofleece Combo Scarf was
      that it didn't cover my ears completely when worn alone. This
      shouldn't be a problem during a hike since more than likely if I
      need to wear the Seirus facemask, I will have my hat on.

      It snowed all night and in the morning there was a foot of new snow
      on the driveway. So I geared up and went out to shovel. I used the
      same combo with the Neve hat and Seirus facemask. I did notice when
      I put it on that it was totally dry from the night before.

      It stopped snowing but the wind was still around 15 miles per hour.
      It was 26 degrees and sunny.
      After awhile the wind was blowing snow into my eyes so I went inside
      and put on my goggles.

      The goggles worked great with the Seirus Neofleece Combo Scarf.
      They didn't fog up at all. I did have a problem with the top part
      of the mouth section pressing against the lower part of my nose. I
      tried to move it so it wouldn't hit but it didn't work. It got
      annoying after awhile. I ended up trimming off a little of the
      upper mouth section so it wouldn't not hit my nose.

      I went on a hike up in the White Mountains of New Hampshire with a
      couple of friends. We hiked up Mt. Moriah at 4049'. About a mile
      from the summit, we were on a ridge above tree line. Before I got
      on the ridge, I put on my Seirus Neofleece Combo Scarf. It was
      around 10 degrees with 20-30 miles per hour winds. I couldn't feel
      any of the wind and my face stayed warm. A few times on the way to
      Mt. Moriah when the wind died down, I was able to lower the Seirus
      facemask off my face and onto my neck. Then when the wind picked
      up, I was able to lift the Seirus up and cover my face with no
      problem. I noticed that the small section that I clipped off the
      top of the mouth section worked and it didn't put pressure on my
      nose. I also noticed while wearing the Seirus Combo Scarf that I
      had no problem breathing through it.

      I think that the Seirus Neofleece Combo Scarf is a great
      facemask/scarf. It's waterproof, windproof, lightweight, easy to
      put on, and very warm and comfortable.