EDIT - TV - Enertia Trail Foods Report

  • Alex Tweedly
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2002
      TV - thanks for another enthusiastic review. Now I need to worry about
      whether I can get these meals over here.

      There are a few comments about the report ....

      This may be a result of html -> email conversion, but it looks in a few
      places as though the last part of "didn't" (and similar contractions) got
      lost - possibly taking a couple of following words with them.

      >5 feet 11 inches tall
      >165 lbs

      Metric conversion highly desired, though not absolutely required. (180cm,
      75kg)

      > Portion Size Calories
      >Sierra Scramble 3.25 ounces (85 grams) 510
      (92 grams)

      >Each entrée was packaged in a vacuum-sealed x inch zip lock bag. My

      Missing the numbers for the size.

      >Piney woods where I grew up and enjoying the wonderful weather. The
      >temperatures ranged from the high 40
      >the afternoons.

      something missing after the "40"

      >Despite one of the wettest autumns in several yea[R]s, I managed

      >that the eggs tasted like eggs. There was not the slightest bit of
      >disappointment over this entrees

      extra plural S on entrees ?

      >ounces of water, it is best to add that to the large Ziploc first, then
      >add the
      >egg mixture. I did this in reverse order and came up with eggs that were a big
      >dry, till I added some more hot water.

      "... a bit dry, ..." ??

      > I also discovered that eating out of
      >the preparation bag is difficult, unless you cut the top portion of the bag
      >off, which in my view, removes a large portion of the bag
      >had expected to pack my trash into the Ziploc and carry it out, but if you cut
      >the top portion off to eat out of the bag, there goes that option.

      something missing before "had expected to pack ...." ?

      >Energy: I went to bed full and stayed asleep all night. I noticed that I didn
      >wake up cold and hungry, which is how I normally know that my dinner was not
      >big enough. When I crawled out of the tent in the morning I was not really
      >hungry, but I did manage to eat one package of oatmeal instead of two.

      Suggestion: Maybe re-word this ?? I re-read it a couple of times before I
      got it straight - I think the problem was that saying "I did manage to eat
      ..." seems to me to imply the opposite of what I think you mean; i.e. "I
      only managed to eat one oatmeal".

      >My next
      >meal was going to be a hot lunch. I wasn
      >was going to fit the ticket, but I was looking forward to it. The Mac & Cheese
      >held me through till lunch pretty good. I only had to stack a single Balance
      >bar in on top of the oatmeal.

      Something missing after "wasn['t]" ?

      >Notes: I added the required amount of water and let the Mac Patch Mac & Cheese

      Ma[X] Patch Mac & Cheese

      >reseal able for when it goes into the trash sack. So I dumped it into my
      >bowl
      >and at it that way instead.

      and at[E] it that way

      > I also noticed that the website
      >this meal differ from the printed instructions that accompany the meal.

      Something missing between "... website" and "this meal ..." ?

      >and Rice with a South American Taste”, mixed both very well, and then brought
      >it to a boil. I immediately removed it from the stove and let is stand for

      and let i[T] stand

      >Taste: The Rainier Rice was bland until I mixed in the crushed red pepper
      >that
      >came with the meal. This gave the dish a zing that I like (of course crushed
      >red pepper is one of the spices I carry regularly anyway.) and it made added
      >just enough extra flavors to make it interesting.

      omit the period before the close paren - just "... anyway) and ..."
      omit the "made" from "and it made added just enough"

      >the other meals, it did fill me up. Add in some meat and it might just be a
      >little too much for one mea.

      "one mea[L]"

      >Taste: There are not enough good words to describe the taste of this meal.
      >Once the chili mix was stirred into the beans, I had the best tasting meal I
      >have tried so far. It was the best tasking meal I have probably ever had on a
      tas[T]ing

      >hiking trip in my life. The El Capitan 3 Bean Chili didn
      >ahead and added the crushed red pepper and Parmesan cheese packets that came

      another problem with the "didn't"

      >Notes: I was worried that the El Capitan 3 Bean Chili was going to too
      >soupy to

      "going to [BE] too soupy"

      >Energy: This dish kept me going. It filled me up at dinnertime and I snacked
      >the next morning for breakfast rather than eating my oatmeal. This noodle
      >dish
      >goes a long way toward keeping you on your feet (or warm an toasty at
      >night).

      warm an[D] toasty

      Thanks
      -- Alex.
    • Alex Tweedly
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2002
        I checked the html version as uploaded to BGT and there are a couple of
        issues - one important and some optional formatting/neatness ones.

        The manufacturer's link isn't working. It's missing the "http://" at the
        start of the URL, so it is interpreted as a local reference, and therefore
        appends the name to the current url.

        The bio info is double-line spaced - looks a bit untidy. Not a big deal,
        but since there are necessary changes, you might be able to clean this up
        easily :-)

        Another optional one - the formatting of the "Entree/Packed weight" table
        is a bit odd; the packed weight column is too narrow, so all the lines wrap
        unnecessarily (even viewed full-screen at 1024x680).

        And one more optional formatting item - the paragraph immediately below
        that table has strange line spacing. Sorry - I don't know enough html to
        properly figure out why :-( but it's as though each line was 1.5
        line-spaces apart.

        Thanks
        -- Alex.
      • Thomas Vickers
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 4, 2002
          I haven't uploaded, but I have fixed everything but the strangely spaced
          paragraph. I have no clue on that one.

          TV

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 5, 2002
            Hi TV

            You might want to ask over in BGTFileUploadHelp
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BGTFileUploadHelp/> and also upload a copy
            of the report to the Test folder so the folks there can take a peek and
            hopefully sort your little problem.

            Cheers
            Andrew

            --
            * - Aushiker - http://aushiker.com - Comprehensive resource site on hiking
            in Western Australia.

            Quote of the Week: "Presenting anecdotal evidence as proof is saying, 'I
            played Russian roulette and lived, so it must be safe." - Unknown

          • Alex Tweedly
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 11, 2002
              At 21:17 04/12/2002 -0600, Thomas Vickers wrote:
              >I haven't uploaded, but I have fixed everything but the strangely spaced
              >paragraph. I have no clue on that one.

              I'm pretty sure it's caused by the "degree" signs. The additional spacing
              happens only above each line containing a temperature. I think you've used
              a superscript letter "o" for the "degree" symbol.

              I don't know if there's an alternative symbol, or some way to represent it
              other than the superscript. Or whether it's easier to just omit it, as most
              people do. It would be write unambiguous to simply say
              >high 40's F in the mornings to the high 70's F in the afternoons

              -- Alex
            • Andrew Priest
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 11, 2002
                Hi

                This suggestion seems pretty reasonable if the degree symbol is causing
                such havoc in your HTML copy.

                Andrew

                At 09:13 PM 11/12/2002, you wrote:
                >At 21:17 04/12/2002 -0600, Thomas Vickers wrote:
                > It would be write unambiguous to simply say
                >high 40's F in the mornings to the high 70's F in the afternoons

                --
                Aushiker - http://aushiker.com - Comprehensive resource site on hiking in
                Western Australia.

                Quote of the Week: "In the end one loves one's desire and not what is
                desired." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche