Leatherman Squirt P4 Field Test Report

  • Leonard Christiansen
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2002
      Leatherman Squirt P4
      Field Test Report

      Date of report: December 1, 2002

      Personal Biographical Information:

      Name: Leonard Christiansen
      lrchristiansen@...

      Gender: Male

      Age: 60

      Height: 5 ft. 10 in.
      (178 cm)

      Weight: 195 lb.
      (88 kg)

      Location: Mobile, AL

      Backpacking Background:

      I am an Assistant Scoutmaster for Boy Scout Troop 292, Mobile, AL. I
      have been backpacking for about ten years and camping and hiking for
      over thirty years. My backpacking interest was formed when my son
      wanted to earn his backpacking merit badge in Scouting. He and I
      learned together, making many mistakes along the way, I'm sure! But we
      managed to survive.

      My backpacking has been limited mostly to Alabama and Mississippi. I
      have trekked the trails of the Conecuh Woods several times, a loop in
      the Cheaha Wilderness in the Talladega National Forest (consists of
      part of the Pinhoti Trail, the Chinnabee Silent Trail, and the Skyway
      Loop Trail) several times, the Tuxachanie Trail in the Desoto National
      Forest in Mississippi, and the Black Creek Trail in the Desoto
      National Forest in Mississippi. These trails are within a "reasonable"
      radius of Mobile for weekend or long weekend treks. I also accompanied
      a crew of Scouts to Philmont Scout Ranch in the Sangre de Cristo
      Mountains of northeastern New Mexico for a trek in the summer of 2002.

      Product Information:

      Product: Leatherman Squirt P4

      Manufacturer: Leatherman Tool Group, Inc.
      http://www.leatherman.com

      Model Year: 2002

      List Weight: 2.0 oz.
      (57 g)

      Test Weight: 2.0 oz.
      (57 g)

      Length: 2.25 in. closed
      (5.5 cm)

      Materials: Stainless steel with
      anodized aluminum scales

      Color: Glacier (blue)

      Other colors available: Storm (gray)
      Inferno (red)

      Features: Needlenose pliers
      Straight knife
      Wire cutters
      Extra-small screwdriver
      Medium screwdriver
      Small, flat Phillips screwdriver
      File, straight cut
      File, cross cut
      Opener
      Key ring attachment
      Awl

      Field Information:

      I have not been able to get out on the trail with the Leatherman
      Squirt P4 in my pack. I have, however, carried the Squirt P4 as my
      pocket knife and tool kit around my home in Mobile, AL. Weather
      information is probably not too important for the home environment. I
      have had the tool very wet and subjected to chlorine bleach while
      power washing mildew from the exterior of my house. I always manage to
      get soaked while doing this job!

      Field Test:

      As I said in my initial report for the Leatherman Squirt P4, the main
      reason for choosing the Leatherman Squirt P4 is I want a small,
      lightweight multi-tool with pliers. I want the pliers to be able to
      perform field maintenance on my camp stove when necessary. If they
      cannot perform this task I will have to carry a different tool on the
      trail. At first glance the pliers appeared very sturdy. Then I decided
      to use the pliers to remove the generator from my Coleman Multi-fuel
      stove. The pliers slipped. I gripped them more tightly. They still
      slipped. I gripped them even more tightly, but the handles began to
      hurt my hand. I protected my hand with a glove and gripped the pliers
      once again, more tightly than before. THEY BROKE! A small piece of one
      of the spacers (springs) in the handle, which contacts a step in one
      side of the pliers to transmit the force from the handle to the jaws,
      broke off, rendering the pliers useless.

      Following the included instructions for Warranty Service, I sent the
      tool to Leatherman for repair or replacement under the 25 year
      warranty. I sent the tool by UPS on October 2, 2002 and, according to
      the UPS tracking service, it arrived at Leatherman October 9. On
      November 5 it was returned to me from Leatherman IN THE SAME BROKEN
      CONDITION IT WAS IN WHEN I SENT IT TO THEM!!! The broken spacer
      (spring) had been removed, but had not been replaced. There was no
      explanation as to why repairs were not made.

      I sent an e-mail to the Warranty Service Department asking for an
      explanation. I also posted my experience to the BackpackGearTest group
      message board. Jerry Goller, owner of BackpackGearTest, forwarded my
      posting directly to Tim
      \par Leatherman. After checking out my story Mr. Leatherman sent an
      e-mail explaining that they had "messed up." Not only had the warranty
      service been slower than standard, but they had mistakenly returned
      the same tool I had sent them. By way of atonement Leatherman sent me
      a replacement tool, lapel pin, and hat by next day air shipment. As
      promised, all three items arrived at my home on the morning of
      November 8.

      I appreciate very much Leatherman's honesty in admitting to their
      error and the extra steps they took to correct it. I would have been
      satisfied with the replacement tool, but I do appreciate the extra
      "goodies."

      Upon receiving the replacement tool, I decided to test the pliers
      again. Once again I decided to remove the generator from my Coleman
      Multi-fuel camp stove. This time, however, I reasoned that the joint
      may have been overtight and I used another pair of pliers to loosen
      the flare nut. I then tightened the nut again with the Leatherman
      Squirt P4. I pressurized the fuel chamber with twenty-five strokes of
      the pump and checked for leaks with soapy water. There were no leaks.
      I then lit the stove and checked for leaks around the flare nut again.
      There were still no leaks.

      Being satisfied that the Squirt P4 could perform the task I proceeded
      to disassemble the stove as though to replace the generator. I removed
      the burner assembly by removing the Phillips head screw at the center
      with the Phillips screwdriver tool on the Squirt. I then loosened the
      flare nut on the generator with the pliers of the Squirt and removed
      the generator. I reversed the above procedure to reassemble the stove.
      I again checked the stove for leaks and found none. I am satisfied
      that the Leatherman Squirt P4 is capable of performing field
      maintenance on my camp stove.

      The knife blade is sharpened from only one side, like a chisel. This
      method varies from the usual method of sharpening a knife blade. I
      prefer having a bevel on both sides of the blade. I carry in my
      backpack a small Gatco sharpener that consists of two ceramic rods
      held in an "X" with an approximately 40 degree angle between the rods.
      I have found that I can use this hone to sharpen the knife blade of
      the Leatherman Squirt P4. I lay the blade flat on the rod on one side
      of the hone and with the bevel against the other rod. If I do not use
      too much pressure I can hone the knife blade without raising a wire
      edge on the blade. This method will suffice for honing the already
      sharp blade, but will not be acceptable if the blade gets really
      dulled or damaged. For now, I will not bother to change the method of
      sharpening the blade by establishing a bevel on both sides of the
      blade.

      When I went to Iowa in September to help my father move into an
      apartment after selling his house I brought two old dressers back to
      Mobile. One of the dressers had two drawer pulls with loose screws. I
      was able to tighten these screws easily with the medium, flat
      screwdriver blade of the Leatherman Squirt P4. I have used the medium
      screwdriver to tighten several other slotted screws.

      In mid-November I pulled the power washer out of storage to remove the
      annual accumulation of mildew from the exterior of my house. I was
      able to remove the spider webs, dust and dirt around the nozzle with
      the awl and extra-small screwdriver blade of the Leatherman Squirt P4.
      I could have used the knife blade to remove most of the accumulated
      material, but I really hate ruining a fine cutting edge by scraping it
      against metal. It was nice to have the awl and small screwdriver
      blades handy to do the job.

      I also retrieved the pump-up sprayer I use to apply a mixture of
      detergent and chlorine bleach to effectively kill the mildew. There
      was some corrosion around the nozzle of the sprayer and I was unable
      to remove the nozzle by hand to clean it. The pliers of the Leatherman
      Squirt P4 easily removed the nozzle and the awl removed the corrosion.
      I repeated this procedure several times because the nozzle gets
      plugged with fine dirt and debris. The Leatherman Squirt P4 got quite
      a lot of chlorine bleach solution on it during this time. A couple of
      days after I completed the job I examined the Squirt P4 for any sign
      of corrosion. There was none. As a precaution I rinsed the tool
      thoroughly with tap water, let it dry overnight with all blades open,
      and gave it a good spray of WD-40 penetrating oil to give it some
      protection from corrosion.

      The wire cutters of the Leatherman Squirt P4 easily cut copper
      electrical wire. I managed to pinch my finger between the handles as
      they closed suddenly when the wire parted. The pinch did not cause any
      visible damage to my finger, not even a noticeable bruise. There is a
      caution to "be extremely careful not to cut or pinch yourself with
      blades or handles when opening, closing or using your Squirt" in the
      literature that came with the tool.

      Likes:

      1. Small size
      2. Light weight
      3. Tools accessible from outside the handles

      Even though my experience with the warranty service was not good, I am
      satisfied that it was unusual. My experience will not rule out future
      purchases of Leatherman products.

      Dislikes:

      1. Easy to pinch finger when using wire cutters

      Len Christiansen lrchristiansen@...
      SA Troop 292, Mobile, AL Spanish Trail District Commissioner
      Gihim - One Who Encourages

    • Sonjia Leyva
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2002
        Leonard

        Thanks for the report. I only caught one error: forwarded my posting
        directly to Tim \par Leatherman. Should the "\par" be there?

        Upload at your leisure!

        Sonjia
        Sonjia Leyva
        http://www.geophile.net

        "Geologists are Scouts who hated to give up camping when they went to
        college, so they majored in geology." Ellen Sue Blakey
        I defend Biogems! www.savebiogems.org

      • lenchris1941
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2002
          Sonjia,

          No, it shouldn't be there. I caught it a few seconds after hitting
          the send button. I write the reports in HTML and strip the HTML out
          to post to the list. I do something wrong with my stripper (No, not
          THAT kind of stripper!) and it puts these "\ par" codes in, uaually
          at the beginning of each line, but sometimes at the end of a short
          line. Some day I will sit down with my stripper (Still not THAT kind
          of stripper!) and figure out what I'm doing wrong.

          I'll upload the report to BackpackGearTest.org later tonight.

        • leyva_sm <sonjialeyva@netscape.net>
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 8, 2002
            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "lenchris1941"
            <lrchristiansen@a...> wrote:
            > I do something wrong with my stripper (No, not
            > THAT kind of stripper!)

            Uh huh. Right. Whatever makes you happy!

            Sonjia