OWNER REVIEW - Motorola FR50 2-way Radio

  • Jamie
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 30, 2002
      Owner Review of Motorola FR50 2-way radio

      Personal Information
      Name: Jamie J. DeBenedetto
      Age: 29
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5'11" (1.80 meters)
      Weight: 165 lbs. (74.84 Kilograms)
      Email: jdeben@...
      State: The Grand Canyon State - Arizona
      Country: USA
      Date: November 30th, 2002

      Personal Background/Experience
      I'm a native Arizonan who was brought up in a fairly active outdoor
      family. I've spent as much of my 29 years as possible hiking,
      camping, fishing, backpacking, rafting, and more recently kayaking
      all over the state. I've also done a small amount of hiking in the
      neighboring states of Colorado and California. In January of 1999 I
      chartered a local hiking group called the Canine Hiking Club of
      Arizona. I lead 2 to 3 hikes a month with the club in various
      locations around AZ. I also hike in local recreation areas near my
      home about 4 to 5 times a month and my family and I sneak away for
      camping trips whenever possible. Most of my treks take place in the
      beautiful Sonoran Desert, but since Arizona is so diverse, I often
      encounter many other terrain, elevation, and climate types. I
      wouldn't consider myself to be a lightweight hiker, but I'm learning.

      Product Information
      Manufacturer: Motorola
      Year of manufacture: 1999
      Length: 6.5 inches (165.1 Millimeters)
      Width: 2.25 inches (57.15 Millimeters)
      Weight with batteries: 6 lbs. 7 oz (2.92 Kilograms)
      Battery requirements: 3 AA (sold separately)
      Product description: The FR50 is dark grey and black with a bright
      orange talk button. (I don't believe this particular model comes in
      any other color) It has a short black antenna that is 2.25 inches
      (57.15 mm) long. This model offers a 2-mile range, 14 channels, 1
      audible call alert, single pin audio accessory connector, a channel
      monitor button, and a removable belt clip. The channel LED display
      also lights up when any button is pushed.

      Product Review
      I currently own two FR50's. I've had them for almost four years. I
      have used them a couple of times while skiing in Durango, CO in 30 to
      50F (-1.11 to 9.99C) weather and countless times while hiking and
      camping in my home state of AZ in 30 to 120F (-1.11 to 48.88C)
      weather. They are not waterproof or water resistant so I have never
      used them during snow or rain showers. Since they only have a 2-mile
      range, I have primarily used them around camp or to keep in touch
      with hiking partners spread out along the trail. I have also on
      occasion used them to keep vehicle caravans together.

      In four years of use they have been very reliable communication
      devices. I have only had one problem with signal clarity with in the
      given 2-mile range and that was while skiing. In this case I believe
      the mountainous terrain was too much to overcome. There compact
      size makes them fairly durable. They have held up nicely to a few
      minor drops and rough rides inside a backpack. They have even held
      up to use, or should I say abuse, from a nine-year-old boy!

      As for user friendliness I would give the FR50 a 7 on a scale of 1-10
      (10 being the best). The channel read out is easy to see, the
      buttons are well marked and for the most part well placed for single
      hand use. The talk button is large and brightly colored so it's easy
      to push and to spot. The on/off knob is also easy to turn one handed
      and it does click off so you can't accidentally leave the radio on.
      My only complaints are regarding the belt clip. First, the clip is a
      little cheap. It does not securely attach the radio to your
      waistband or backpack strap. Secondly, the clip must be removed in
      order to change the batteries. I have usually been in my home when
      changing the batteries so it wasn't much of a problem, but I can see
      how it would make things a bit tougher out in the bush or in low
      light. Thirdly, the lever to remove the clip is short and hard to
      get to. Even if you can get a finger on it, it takes nails of steel
      to pull back and then push the clip down. I'm sure Motorola wanted
      the clip to be as securely attached as possible, but I think this
      could be improved upon.

      Summary
      Overall I have found the Motorola FR50 model to be a very handy,
      reliable, and user friendly back country communication item. I
      wouldn't, however, suggest this simple model to those interested in
      deluxe 2-way radio features or to those who are extremely weight
      conscious.
      Likes
      1. Compact size (Although I'm sure the new models are even
      smaller and weigh quite a bit less)
      2. The monitor and audible call tone features
      3. Signal clarity

      Dislikes
      1. Weight due to the three AAA batteries
      2. Belt clip and belt clip removal latch
      3. No color option (but I can live with that, I guess)
    • Andrew Priest
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 30, 2002
        Hi Jamie

        A great first-up owner's review Well done! I only found a couple of small
        typo for your correction. Once I have sorted out where to put the report,
        I will drop you and email with the folder details.

        Thanks
        Andrew

        At 08:09 AM 01/12/2002, you wrote:
        >Owner Review of Motorola FR50 2-way radio

        ### Owner's Review ...

        >Product Review
        >
        >I have only had one problem with signal clarity with in the
        >given 2-mile range and that was while skiing.

        ### with in should be one word, within.
        --
        * - Aushiker - http://aushiker.com - Comprehensive resource site on hiking
        in Western Australia.

        Quote of the Week: "Presenting anecdotal evidence as proof is saying, 'I
        played Russian roulette and lived, so it must be safe." - Unknown

      • Jamie
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 30, 2002
          Thanks Andrew. I'll fix that. Should I then resubmit it here for
          more editing or just wait until I can upload it in the folder?

          Jamie in AZ

          --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., Andrew Priest <apriest@i...> wrote:
          > Hi Jamie
          >
          > A great first-up owner's review Well done! I only found a couple of
          small
          > typo for your correction. Once I have sorted out where to put the
          report,
          > I will drop you and email with the folder details.
          >
          > Thanks
          > Andrew
          >
          > At 08:09 AM 01/12/2002, you wrote:
          > >Owner Review of Motorola FR50 2-way radio
          >
          > ### Owner's Review ...
          >

          > >Product Review
          > >
          > >I have only had one problem with signal clarity with in the
          > >given 2-mile range and that was while skiing.
          >
          > ### with in should be one word, within.
          > --
          > * - Aushiker - http://aushiker.com - Comprehensive resource site on
          hiking
          > in Western Australia.
          > * - List Monitor: BackpackGearTest -
          http://www.backpackgeartest.org - the
          > most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.
          >
          > Quote of the Week: "Presenting anecdotal evidence as proof is
          saying, 'I
          > played Russian roulette and lived, so it must be safe." - Unknown

        • Graham Blamey
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 2002
            --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Jamie" <jdeben@h...> wrote:
            > Owner Review of Motorola FR50 2-way radio

            Jamie, interesting review. I have a pair of radios similar to these
            but cheaper plastic casing, which we use when we do field work, but
            I've never used them while backpacking as we don't hike with a group.
            I can see how they would be useful in that situation though. Mine are
            very light so I find it hard to believe that each of yours weighs
            more than my 2person tent ?

            > Weight with batteries 6 lbs. 7 oz (2.92 Kilograms)

            do you mean 6.6 ozs (187 g )
            :-) Graham
          • Andrew Priest
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 1, 2002
              Hi Jamie

              There should be no need to re-post your review. When you are ready please
              upload to
              http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Communication_Gear/Two-way_Radios/Motorola_FR50.

              Thanks
              Andrew
              List Monitor

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 2, 2002
                Oh my gosh Graham. Thanks so much for catching that. YEs is that is
                exactly what I ment. 6.7 oz. Other than sleep dreprivation, I can't
                figure out how I botched that on so well.

                Thanks again,
                Jamie in AZ