OWENRS REVIEW Columbia River Knife and Tool Company P.E.C.K. pocket knife

  • hikerltwt
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29 11:03 PM
      PRODUCT: Owners Review of Columbia River Knife and Tool Company
      P.E.C.K. Pocket Knife

      NAME: Jonathan Guessford

      AGE: 34

      GENDER: Male

      HEIGHT; 6 foot 2 inches

      WEIGHT: 230 pounds

      EMAIL: hikerltltwt@...

      LOCATION: Smyrna Delaware USA

      DATE: November 30, 2002

      I have been backpacking for ten years and have been somewhat of a
      Jardinite for the past four years. Most of my experience has been in
      Virginia, West Virginia and Pennsylvania. I am inherently lazy yet I
      love to hike so the compromise has been pack weight slashing. I
      would now fall into the ultra light category. I am also an avid
      winter trekker, as I love the cold.

      PRODUCT: P.E.C.K. Locking blade Pocket Knife

      MANUFACTURER: Columbia River Knife and Tool Company

      MSRP: US $29.99

      WEB ADDRESS: www.crkt.com/

      MFG. WEIGHT: Under an ounce.

      WEIGHT AS TESTED: .8 ounces

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: Small solid stainless steel locking blade pocket

      TEST LOCATION: n/a

      I have been looking for a small, high quality, light pocket knife for
      some time, but have found most small knives lacking in several areas.
      The small Swiss Army type knives seem to have a blade that is too
      thin to handle thick cutting and they do not lock open. This can be a
      serious problem when cutting in the cold after a day of winter
      hiking. The fingers are cold and numb and the knives are too small to
      use with gloves. I have tried various brands of small locking knives
      and they invariably have one feature in common: poor quality blades
      that did not hold an edge! They all seemed to be mere toys rather
      than true tools, until now. I recently purchased a Columbia River
      Knife and Tool Company P.E.C.K. locking blade pocketknife.

      Knife Makers Guild member Ed Halligan designed the knife and its name
      is an acronym for precision engineered compact knife and that is
      exactly what it is. This is a real knife, a keepsake if you will. You
      can feel the quality as soon as the knife is in your palm. It is very
      balanced for such a small knife. I fell in love with this little
      dynamo the first time I slid the blade open: with one hand
      nonetheless. The blade pivots very smoothly and locks firmly open.
      There is no lateral movement between the blade and frame. The knife
      is smartly designed in every aspect.

      The construction is of solid AUS 6M Stainless Steel that has been
      lightly bead blasted. It possesses an extremely sharp 1.88-inch
      Wharncliffe blade and it is 2.7 inches long when closed. The knife
      does not have a case that the blade closes into, instead, it relies
      on an extremely clever one-piece frame that the blade folds over and
      rests against. The blade is edged on only one side to prevent an
      accidental cut while in the closed position. Opening the knife one
      handed is easily accomplished via a tiny hex head screw placed at the
      base of the blade and to close the knife you simply press down on the
      frame with the thumb and secure the blade. There is a small clip on
      the back of the frame that can act as a money or belt clip. There is
      a hole in the rear of the frame to attach a key ring. I have used the
      knife to cut cardboard and have cut through an old ridge rest
      mattress. I have opened several plastic packages and cut slivers off
      pine two by fours. There is no noticeable dulling of the blade at
      this point but given that the knife has a straight blade, it will be
      easy to keep a finely honed edge.

      The only downside of carrying this knife for the ultralight addict is
      its lack of a micro screwdriver for changing the photon light
      batteries and glasses repair. The knife, however, weighs in at a
      paltry .8 ounces and the overall quality of this demon justifies the
      inconvenience of keeping up with loose screwdrivers or carrying one
      of the Swiss Tech 1 ounce key chain screwdriver sets.