Re: [backpackgeartest] Digest Number 30

  • Gear Tester
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 17, 2000
      From: Orange Bug
      To: backpackgeartest@egroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2000 9:36 PM
      Subject: Re: [backpackgeartest] Digest Number 30

      The hammock
      offer has been made in the past in a way that has suggested spamming to
      seek interest in a product on other lists.
      ?? not sure I understand what you mean about spamming.

    • Gerry Gladu
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 18, 2000
        "Gear Tester" <geartester@h...> wrote:

        >> From: Orange Bug
        >>
        >> The hammock offer has been made in the past in a way that has
        >> suggested spamming to seek interest in a product on other lists.

        > ?? not sure I understand what you mean about spamming.

        I think that this refers to the email offer that Hennessy sent out
        earlier this year that was generated from the member lists of
        BackpackingLight and other lists that allowed you to test their
        hammock, file a report, then buy the hammock at a reduced price if
        you liked it. Or something like that. I forget the details.

        Gerry
      • Gerry Gladu
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 18, 2000

          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 18, 2000
            I remember the incident now. I believe that was Clark (The Jungle Hammock). He is in Salt Lake City. I contacted them myself. Never heard anymore about it. It was definitely NOT Hennessy. The only thing Hennessy expects in return is posted reports, good, bad or indifferent, about their hammocks. They want to know if and how well it addresses the wants and needs of the target user and they want exposure for a new product. I don't think they are worried about bad reports. Tom has offered 6 of his new Light Weight Backpacker models for testing. They weight 1 pound 8 oz. They are currently making the flys for them and don't expect to have any available for testing for about 2 weeks. As I get along with Tom Hennessy very well, I would be willing to try it again. I know people got ticked when I expressed my dismay at the lack of reports. As they don't have to try to talk manufacturers into giving one to two thousand dollars worth of gear to people they don't know in hopes they will get usable feedback and exposure I'm sure it is an easy criticism to make. If we proceed with this it would have to be with the understanding that AT LEAST 3 reports are required from EVERY tester. The first report would be sent immediately upon receipt of the gear. It would just have to state that the gear was received and what condition it was received in. It would also tell if the product was complete with all necessary components and instructions. The second report would have to be posted within 3 days of receipt of the gear. It would cover first impressions, easy of assembly, set up, or what ever was required by the instructions for first use. It would comment on the instructions themselves, both their clarity and completeness. The third report would have to be posted within 30 days. It would cover at least one trip actually using the piece of gear. It would cover the testers reaction, good or bad. Such things as ease of use, how well the gear performed its function, how different or better/worse it performed that function compared to other similar gear used in the past by the tester. Any pros or cons would have to be supported by specific statements so we could all understand why it did or didn't work. Obviously, a tester could post as many reports as they liked but these three basics would be required. What do you all think about creating some kind of form for each of these reports using check boxes or what ever to make it easy? If these requirements seem unreasonable then maybe this wasn't such a good idea. I can't see how I can get manufacturers to cooperate with out these minimum reports. This is not a list for general discussion on backpacking or trips. There are other lists, some mentioned, that do that job much better. I belong to some of them myself. This list is just for testing and reporting on new gear, period. If there are no reports there is no point in the list.
            Jerry
            >> The hammock offer has been made in the past in a way that has
            >> suggested spamming to seek interest in a product on other lists.

            > ?? not sure I understand what you mean about spamming.

            I think that this refers to the email offer that Hennessy sent out
            earlier this year that was generated from the member lists of
            BackpackingLight and other lists that allowed you to test their
            hammock, file a report, then buy the hammock at a reduced price if
            you liked it. Or something like that. I forget the details.

            Gerry

            eGroups Sponsor

          • Gerry Gladu
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 18, 2000
              "Gear Tester" <geartester@h...> wrote:

              > I remember the incident now. I believe that was Clark (The Jungle
              >Hammock).

              yeah it was Clark, not Hennessey. I posted that I made a mistake on
              that one but it didn't show up here (although my previous posting
              showed up twice for some reason).

              Apologies to Hennessey for the mistake.

              Gerry
            • Robert Stanley
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 18, 2000
                Jerry,

                Your 3 mandatory report system seems more than fair, and actually seems
                extremely reasonable considering the benefits of being exposed to new
                cutting edge gear!

                I think a simple "Report Outline" based on your email below, should be
                handed out with every product. Possibly adding a section on specific areas
                that the manufacturer would like to hear about (if there are any specifics).

                Also maybe something to consider would be a "consent to comply" email that
                would need to be returned with an "I agree" before anyone would be
                considered for testing.

                I truly think this group has good potential for both us the testers and for
                the manufacturers, the process just needs to be fine tuned.

                Thanks for starting this Jerry, please don't loose heart this early in the
                game!

                Rob Stanley

                P.S. -

                I also would greatly like to be included on the Hennessy testing (current
                owner of the original), and will have no problems testing it in a timely
                fashion, nor on reporting my results.... Scouts honor ; )

> [...]
                > !
                > ed to other similar gear used in the past by the tester. Any pros or cons
                would have to be supported by specific statements so we could all understand
                why it did or didn't work. Obviously, a tester could post as many reports as
                they liked but these three basics would be required. What do you all think
                about creating some kind of form for each of these reports using check boxes
                or what ever to make it easy? If these requirements seem unreasonable then
                maybe this wasn't such a good idea. I can't see how I can get manufacturers
                to cooperate with out these minimum reports. This is not a list for general
                discussion on backpacking or trips. There are other lists, some mentioned,
                that do that job much better. I belong to some of them myself. This list is
                just for testing and reporting on new gear, period. If there are no reports

              • Michael Tocci
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 18, 2000
                  Jerry, please put me on the list to test a lightweight hennesey...I already own a reg. and an expedition...thanks...Mike
> [...]
                  Jerry
                  >> The hammock offer has been made in the past in a way that has
                  >> suggested spamming to seek interest in a product on other lists.

                  > ?? not sure I understand what you mean about spamming.

                  I think that this refers to the email offer that Hennessy sent out
                  earlier this year that was generated from the member lists of
                  BackpackingLight and other lists that allowed you to test their
                  hammock, file a report, then buy the hammock at a reduced price if
                  you liked it. Or something like that. I forget the details.

                • Yelverton
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 19, 2000
                    Ata boy!! I like it. Rules and Regs. We all need em' at some point! Who would create such a form using check boxes for reporting?
                    Mike y!
                    Gear Tester <geartester@...> wrote:
> [...]
                    Jerry
                    >> The hammock offer has been made in the past in a way that has
                    >> suggested spamming to seek interest in a product on other lists.

                    > ?? not sure I understand what you mean about spamming.

                    I think that this refers to the email offer that Hennessy sent out
                    earlier this year that was generated from the member lists of
                    BackpackingLight and other lists that allowed you to test their
                    hammock, file a report, then buy the hammock at a reduced price if
                    you liked it. Or something like that. I forget the details.

                  • Jerry Goller
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 19, 2000
                      >From: Yelverton <mdyelver@...>
                      > Ata boy!! I like it. Rules and Regs. We all need em' at some point! Who
                      >would create such a form using check boxes for reporting?
                      >Mike y!

                      I'm not sure check boxes, with the possible exception of the "recieved the
                      gear" report is the way to go. I want the testers to express themselves and
                      put some thought into what they say. They are seeing the gear for all of us.
                      Jerry

                      http://profiles.msn.com