APPLICATION - Gregory G Pack

  • Dennis Shubitowski
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 2002
      APPLICATION - Gregory G backpack size large

      I have read the latest version of the official Survival Guide (v. 0802) and agree to fully comply with all rules and regulations outlined within.

      Dennis Shubitowski
      Age 32
      Male
      5'11" (180.34 cm)
      165 lbs (74.84 kg)
      "shubitow" AT "msu" dot "edu"
      Owosso, Michigan

      Brief Biography
      Born, raised, and currently live in Michigan. I have been camping with family since I was a young tot (and probably before that) along with scouting activities. I have been backpacking since the early 1990s and have gotten out much more over the last two years as life has settled down. I also hunt, geocache, horseback ride, ski, orienteer, and canoe. I backpack in every season - rain, snow, or shine. My hiking philosophy is definitely slid somewhere between ultra- and lightweight backpacking over the past couple years from my "backbreaker" days. This includes a homemade tarptent shelter (although those hammocks are starting to look inviting!), a frameless backpack, homemade/Esbit stoves, and cooking in a WalMart grease pot.

      Field information

      I currently use the GVP Gear G4 backpack as my main warm season backpack. I have some concerns about the comfort level of this backpack under heavier loads due to the lack of a true suspension system (my current max load is about 15-19 pounds). My original internal frame backpack is an Osprey Motherloader that I used for several years but now consider too heavy (7 lbs/2.7 kg) and too big (7000 cui/115 L) for my current style of backpacking. For dayhiking, I use an old school JanSport backpack of indeterminate origin that I eventually am looking to replace with one more suitable to dayhiking. I am interested in testing the Gregory G pack because of its true suspension system in a lightweight backpack. I feel I would be more comfortable carrying additional weight in a pack with a suspension system than in a frameless backpack. This pack may be a good compromise between a frameless backpack and a traditional heavy internal frame backpack. I have a long torso (measured at 23"/58.42 cm) so I require a large backpack. I have never used a Gregory backpack before, and I'm not that familiar with them. I believe this would give a fresh perspective to testing.

      I strive toward hiking to be comfortable. This is not necessarily ultralight hiking to me, but probably closer to lightweight hiking. I am willing to carry some extra weight to be more comfortable, but I would rather not be sore and cranky at the end of a long day. I like a backpack to be extremely comfortable and feel a part of me. The G4 is like this a low weights and not like that at heavier weights. I value quality in construction and attention to fine details, and I am rather gentle on equipment that I do own. I always expect to do a fair amount of fidgeting with new equipment but expect that once proper adjustments are made I can forget about it and just hike.

      For testing the G pack, I use a Camelbak Unbottle and am interested in how this would work internally in the pack with the Gregory's new design ideas for the drinking tube. I also like the idea of a top-zippered pocket. I gave up most the "extras" on backpacks when I moved to a frameless pack - the idea of having some "extras" and still be a lightweight pack is definitely of interest to me for testing. I plan on testing the Gregory G in several locations in both the northern and southern areas of Michigan's lower peninsula and in the northwest US in the spring (either Olympic or the Cascades). It is now getting close to winter and snow here in Michigan, and I plan at least two winter outings of varying length. I also do many dayhikes while geocaching, and I will do multi-day hikes in lower Michigan in the spring. These trips will encompass the next 6 months required for gear testing. Temperature and weather conditions will be at there most extreme and variable during the next several months in Michigan ranging from a likely 0 F (-18 C) to 80 F (27 C) from fall until spring with precipitation abound. Trips during more moderate conditions will lean toward a lightweight hiking style including tarp shelters and alcohol or solid fuel stoves. Winter trips obviously require heavier gear including heavy 4 season tents, appropriate clothing, and white gas stoves. I may use a pulk or sled depending on the level of snow that Michigan receives this winter, so the Gregory G would be placed in the sled and used as backpack for subsequent dayhikes. I anticipate my pack weight to range from 15 - 40 lbs (7 - 18 kg) during the testing period. I realize that this exceeds the recommended upper weight suggestion of the Gregory, but I feel that heavier loads (especially at the beginning of trip) are a fact of life of hiking and sometime the upper limits need to be tested. In these cases, emphasis will be placed on evaluation of the suspension system and durability of material under stress. Outings could include solo, group, with wife, with dog, and with wife and dog at any time (but likely without wife in winter - she's not quite up to it!).

      Previously written reports:

      LAAF Gear MSR Stove Upgrade kit:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Do%20It%20Yourself/LAAF%20Gear%20MSR%20Stove%20Upgrade%20Kit/LAAF%20Gear%20MSR%20Stove%20Upgrade%20-%20Dennis%20Shubitowski/

      Camelbak Unbottle 70oz/2L: