Owner Review: Rei Shasta Sleeping Bag

  • Andrew Post
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 10, 2002
      Rei Shasta Sleeping Bag

      11-10-02

      My name is Andrew and I am a 14-year-old backpacking lover. I originally got into camping when I started boy scouts. My family camps some time too. My weight is 105lbs and I am 5'2''. I am in very good shape and can do a lot of things other kids my age are not physically able to do. I am in numerous sports, which put me in this physical condition.

      I can be contacted at andrewpost@.... I live in a city of about 25,000 in Oregon. My backpacking background extends quite far. Up to 3 years of regular camping/hiking/mountaineering in boy scouts maybe 4 times a month. My family also goes camping some but not a lot. I enjoy surfing the web and looking at the stats of all types of equipment. I was offered a job at a GI Joe's right on the spot because I knew so much about the gear.

      My sleeping bag goes down to 15 degrees Fahrenheit. It is made of polargaurd 3D. It is a mummy bag and has quite a soft feel on the skin. It has a pillow stuffsack for clothes but it is made of very weak material. It has a chest pocket but it isn't worthy of the pocket. enough said. It has equal distribution of insulation but that doesn't matter because once the loft is compressed by you laying on it, it has no need to be there. It weighs 3lbs 5oz. It stuffs down to 8.5x12inches and has a length of 6'. The shoulder girth is 60''. Rei manufactured it in 2000. No longer able to buy but you can buy the upgraded bag at http://www.rei.com

      The bag is nice and very compressible but the extra length at the footing of the bag gathers condensation and it is hard to prevent it from doing so. I take this bag on all types of camp outs and sometimes it is too hot and sometimes not enough and I have to wear extra clothes with it. I had it in 13-degree snowy, icy weather and was fine. I also was fine inside a house at 72 degrees during a sleep over. This concludes that it is very breathable. I also took this bag up on the continental divide where we got every type of weather there is. Lightning, thunder, rain, hail, sleet, snow, pretty much everything except for acid rain (and it served me well). Here are some likes and dislikes.

      LIKES: 1.breathable (lets your sweat escape)

      2.comfortable (luxury)

      3.compressible (doesn't take up much space)

      DISLIKES:1.heavy (3 lbs)

      2.sokes up lots of water

      3.doesn't come in smaller sizes (too long)

      Lastly, I have some improvements to it. Make it water-repellent and take off insulation on the bottom because all it is, is bulk and weight. Put on a slot instead that you could put a custom groundpad in instead.

    • Graham Blamey
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 11, 2002
        --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Andrew Post" <andrewpost@o...> wrote:
        > Rei Shasta Sleeping Bag

        Hi Andrew, welcome to BPGT.
        Good review there, but I shouldn't worry about the extra length of
        the bag, I'm sure in a couple of years you'll be telling us it's too
        small for you :-)
        Cheers, Graham
      • Andrew Priest
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 13, 2002
          Hi Andrew

          Thanks for your owners review. I think you have the substance of a good
          review here, but it does need to be brought into a format that meets our
          reporting requirements. Can I suggest you take a look at Shane's excellent
          guide that he is developing to help with the review writing process at
          http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/BGT/S2.htm. If you could take
          your content, plus add to it as necessary and then repost your review here
          for approval that would be fantastic.

          If you have any specific questions on getting this together please do not
          hesitate to email me directly at apriest@...

          Regards
          Andrew
          List Monitor