Re: OWNER REVIEW of Snow Peak Spork

  • redbike64
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2002
      Loved the review. A comment and a question:

      * You forgot the best thing about owning a spork: being able to say
      the word, "spork,"

      * Have you found it difficult to not puncture mix-in-bag meal bags? I
      find I have to take a plastic spoon anyway when I have these, because
      I'm always sporking the bags otherwise.

      I think you know what to get mom for Christmas, eh?

      --Rick

      --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., Royalepain@a... wrote:
> [...]
      > www.snowpeak.com
      >
      > Reviewer -
      > Heather Martin
      > 18 years
      > 5'7" / 1.70 meters in height
      > 150 pounds / 68 kg / 10 stone
      >

      > Usage -
      >
      > Never have I been so enamoured with a utensil.
      >
      > When I first started using my Snow Peak Spork, I thought the handle
      was too
      > small. As they say though, it's not how big it is, it's how you use
      it. Once
      > you get over any attitude you may have towards smallness, you
      notice how
      > comfortable it feels … not clunky, like some metal or plastic
      ware can.

      > I was also suspicious at first with how much soup you could
      successfully
      > slurp out of the spoon portion. I'm happy to report that this is
      actually one
      > of the nicest spoons I've ever tried. Because a spork has fork
      teeth, you're
      > able to easily spear noodles and vegetables in your soup. The spork
      holds a
      > good amount of liquid at a time. Just be careful not to tip it
      downwards, or
      > the soup will run through the tines.
      >
      > Since the Snow Peak Spork is made of Titanium, it makes a great
      bragging item
      > for around the campfire boasts…in addition to being a
      lightweight,
      > all-purpose utensil.
      >

      > Abusage -
      >
      > I've stepped on, kicked, sat on, and tried to bend my spork on
      purpose. I've
      > left it out to freeze, then plunged it into my boiling hot morning
      cocoa.
      > I've forgotten it in my pack for a week, thoroughly encrusted in
      oatmeal.
      > Nothing fazes the Snow Peak Spork. It looks and feels as good as
      new. This is
      > a lot more than I can say for the stainless steel flatware, Lexan,
      and
      > el-cheapo plastic utensils I've used previously.
      >

      > Downsides -
      >
      > The only bad part of owning a titanium spork, is that your mother
      may make
      > fun of you for your frivolity. Mine does. She doesn't have her own
      titanium
      > spork, she just doesn't understand!
      >

      > Conclusions -
      >
      > When people see my titanium spork, they invariably want one. I'm
      thinking of
      > carrying extras to give away to utensil-handicapped people.
      >
      > I love my Snow Peak Spork, and can't imagine how I ever gotten
      along without
      > one! I don't miss having a "real" fork and spoon, and actually find
      that
      > eating is easier with my spork. I've never had issues, even with
      spaghetti.

      > It's only one utensil to keep track of and wash. It's lightweight.
      What else
      > is cooler than a spork? Even the name sounds cool. Spork Spork
      Spork.

      > My advice is to buy one, even if only for the novelty of it all. It
      may
      > change your attitude towards utensils forever.
      >

      > Heather Martin
      > Royalepain at AOL .com
      >

      > Biography -
      > Heather Martin lives in Calais, Vermont, home of the famous nude
      Men Of Maple
      > Corner. She has never tried nude backpacking, although if there is
      a female
      > nudie calendar next year, she may try out for it.
      >
      > Heather has been camping her whole life, backpacking for a few
      years. Her
      > usual stomping grounds include any part of the U.S. that's warm in
      the
      > winter, as well as Mexico.
      >
      > Heather carries her spork around in the special spork pocket of her
      Carhartt
      > pants when at home, and in the front mesh pocket of her ULA P-2
      backpack
      > while on the trail.

    • John Burnet
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 12, 2002
        Hi Heather,

        Thanks for your engaging review of the Snow Peak
        Spork.

        Please remove the manufacturer's address and phone
        number from your review.

        I believe you meant 'I've' in the following: '...can't
        imagine how I ever gotten along without one!'

        When you have made the correctionreviewve you can
        upload your reviw to:

        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Utensils/Snow%20Peak%20Titanium%20Spork/

        Happy trails,

        John
        gatemansnametag(at)yahoo(dot)com
        BGT List monitor

        =====
        "What are the three most essential backpacking items?"

        "Toys, water, and food. Without water and food, you'll die. If you don't bring toys, all you'll have to play with is rocks and sticks."

        -- A. M. Frick

        http://launch.yahoo.com/u2