Re: [BackpackGearTest] Re: Manufacturer links (was Platy Reviews and CD link thoughts)

  • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
      I haven't been following this tread too closely, but here is what I put in
      my Therm-a-Rest owner's review:

      -James T.

      Product information
      Item: Ridge Rest® 25
      Manufacturer: Therm-a-Rest Brand, from Cascade Designs
      Year of Manufacture: 2002
      MSRP: $35.00

      "Andy Mytys"
      <amytys@highstrea To: BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com
      m.net> cc:
      Subject: [BackpackGearTest] Re: Manufacturer links (was Platy Reviews and CD link
      11/01/2002 10:27 thoughts)
      AM
      Please respond to
      BackpackGearTest

      But, could this just be the case because MSR just got acquired?
      Perhaps they will be integrated into the future... at the very least
      a link on the tab that takes to to the more robust MSR page?

      CD might, on the other hand, want to keep MSR seperate with no links
      because MSR has a history and a reputation on its own that's very
      marketable. I personally thought they did themselves a disservice by
      branching the MSR name into tents and filters, not to mention
      hydration and trekking poles.

      MSR is a rocking stove maker. Cookware and organic foods were even a
      stretch, IMO.

      Maybe the best route is to not have any hard and fast rules, and just
      post manufacturer URLs using common sense. If it looks like a
      standalone company, treat it as one irrespective of what's going on
      at the corporate level.

      With the number of mergers going on these days, and the speed of
      their execution, do we really want to keep up with the politics?
    • Andy Mytys
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
        The main issue has since escaped. We didn't have PackTowl and a few
        others listed under Cascade Designs in the links page. They were
        hidden by "etc"

        I simply wanted to point out that "etc" didn't cut it, as many
        consumers look at PackTowl as the brand and are unaware of the CD
        relationship. We need to spell out these other "brands" specifically
        or people won't find them.

        --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., <jetriple@r...> wrote:

        > I haven't been following this tread too closely, but here is what I
        put in
        > my Therm-a-Rest owner's review:

      • Chief Moderator
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
          They've all been integrated into CD pretty thoroughly. They all use a
          common Marketing, Production, Accounting, etc. staff but are trying to
          maintain the separate branding. MSR was, by far, their largest purchase
          an brought many people into the organization. There were so many high
          level people that it was some what hard to tell who brought who. They
          will be a little challenging for us to name. They have various people in
          the organization that concentrate on certain companies within the
          organization. They want them to appear as separate companies. They're
          actually all one company with multiple divisions producing multiple
          products. I'm not at all sure that is any clearer. Most of it a matter
          of semantics anyway.
          Jerry

          http://www.BackpackGearTest.org <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> :
          the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
            Yup...MSR has been able to maintain, somewhat, its independence......so
            far.