Re: Manufacturer links (was Platy Reviews and CD link thoughts)

  • Andy Mytys
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
      But, could this just be the case because MSR just got acquired?
      Perhaps they will be integrated into the future... at the very least
      a link on the tab that takes to to the more robust MSR page?

      CD might, on the other hand, want to keep MSR seperate with no links
      because MSR has a history and a reputation on its own that's very
      marketable. I personally thought they did themselves a disservice by
      branching the MSR name into tents and filters, not to mention
      hydration and trekking poles.

      MSR is a rocking stove maker. Cookware and organic foods were even a
      stretch, IMO.

      Maybe the best route is to not have any hard and fast rules, and just
      post manufacturer URLs using common sense. If it looks like a
      standalone company, treat it as one irrespective of what's going on
      at the corporate level.

      With the number of mergers going on these days, and the speed of
      their execution, do we really want to keep up with the politics?

      --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., <m_factor@b...> wrote:
      > Near as I can tell, most of Cascade Designs products are by
      Ccascade designs
      > and not separate companies under CD. MSR products, for instance,
      are not
      > even listed on the CD web site. For them, it makes sense to have
      MSR listed
      > as a manufacturer.
      >
      > I guess life just wouldn't be all that interesting without
      exceptions to
      > rules. :-)
      >
      > Mara
      Reviews

    • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
        I haven't been following this tread too closely, but here is what I put in
        my Therm-a-Rest owner's review:

        -James T.

        Product information
        Item: Ridge Rest® 25
        Manufacturer: Therm-a-Rest Brand, from Cascade Designs
        Year of Manufacture: 2002
        MSRP: $35.00

        "Andy Mytys"
        <amytys@highstrea To: BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com
        m.net> cc:
        Subject: [BackpackGearTest] Re: Manufacturer links (was Platy Reviews and CD link
        11/01/2002 10:27 thoughts)
        AM
        Please respond to
        BackpackGearTest

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
          The main issue has since escaped. We didn't have PackTowl and a few
          others listed under Cascade Designs in the links page. They were
          hidden by "etc"

          I simply wanted to point out that "etc" didn't cut it, as many
          consumers look at PackTowl as the brand and are unaware of the CD
          relationship. We need to spell out these other "brands" specifically
          or people won't find them.

          --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., <jetriple@r...> wrote:

          > I haven't been following this tread too closely, but here is what I
          put in
          > my Therm-a-Rest owner's review:

        • Chief Moderator
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
            They've all been integrated into CD pretty thoroughly. They all use a
            common Marketing, Production, Accounting, etc. staff but are trying to
            maintain the separate branding. MSR was, by far, their largest purchase
            an brought many people into the organization. There were so many high
            level people that it was some what hard to tell who brought who. They
            will be a little challenging for us to name. They have various people in
            the organization that concentrate on certain companies within the
            organization. They want them to appear as separate companies. They're
            actually all one company with multiple divisions producing multiple
            products. I'm not at all sure that is any clearer. Most of it a matter
            of semantics anyway.
            Jerry

            http://www.BackpackGearTest.org <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> :
            the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
              Yup...MSR has been able to maintain, somewhat, its independence......so
              far.
              Jerry

              http://www.BackpackGearTest.org <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> :
              the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.

              > As a note, Cascade Designs doesn't have multiple products...they have
              > multiple companies that produce multiple products.

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=229441.2397090.3822005.2273195/D=egroupweb/S=1705
              066005:HM/A=1300490/R=0/*http://www.bmgmusic.com/acq/ee/q6/enroll/mhn/10
              />