Explanation of Late/Early Reports

  • Helen Hillberg
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2002
      I figure an explanation for my late, then early reports is needed.

      On September 18th my 89 year-old father-in-law, Dad, had a fall and suffered a stroke. My husband was hiking the PCT and I was able to contact him in Skycomish, WA. He flew to Wisconsin to see his Dad and I flew out the next day. As it turned out, Dad, by nods and hand squeezes told my husband to get himself back on the trail and finish, so Larry and I passed in the air. I stayed overnight and flew home to put my affairs in order and got word that Dad had asked for his IV to be removed shortly after I left. I was home for only a few hours before jumping in the car and driving back, practically non stop, with my dogs. The person I had caring for them had not done a good job.

      Dad, with all six of his children by his side, passed away on October 4th after starving to death. His brain was active and sharp to the end. I am still so angry and tearful as I write this I don't think the sadness of the way he was forced to die will ever go away. He was a wonderful man.

      Returning home after the funeral, I took my time and camped out along the way. By the time I got home it felt like an eternity had passed and I knew I was late with All my reports and I didn't really care, though I did manage to write one. Instead of reading mail and getting organized I went camping at the last place Dad had visited when he was out here. I spent two nights, hiked myself silly, cried buckets and talked to Dad.

      When I got home to stay I threw myself into writing reports which turned out to be very early reports. The due dates for the reports had got all jumbled up in my head, and even though I now know the due dates it still feels like everything just has to be late. How could so little time have passed.

    • Chief Moderator
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2002
        No explanation is necessary. You did what you had to do. In the grand
        scheme of things, BGT isn't that important. I'm sorry for your loss. I
        agree the way such situations are handle by doctors, hospitals, and the
        government constitutes cruel and unusual punishment for those only crime
        was to fall into their power. The people that frighten me the most are
        the ones that know the Truth. They are dangerous. I hope the camping
        helped. It has always helped me. You were missed. Glad you're back.
        There isn't much else to say.
        Jerry

        http://www.BackpackGearTest.org <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> :
        the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.

[...]

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Helen Hillberg
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2002
          Thank you, Jerry. I explained because I'm a moderator and didn't want any one on the list to think I get some kind of special treatment when I don't follow the rules.

          Helen

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2002
            Hi Helen

            Like Jerry said some things are more important the gear testing. I
            think the whole group offers you and Larry thier heart felt
            condolances. I was a nice tribute to his memory for you to spend
            some time at a spot where you have fond memories of him. I remember
            when my grandmother passed away it hurt for a long time but now when
            I look back on all the things she and I did together the good
            memories make the hurt much more bearable. Time has a way of healing
            all wounds and especially wounds of the heart.

            coy boy and all the gear testers

          • m_factor@backpackgeartest.org
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 2002
              Hi Helen,

              I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. As Jerry already said, take whatever
              time you need. We all know where bgt really stands in the grand scheme of
              things.

              Mara