OWNER REVIEW of Snow Peak Spork

  • Royalepain@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2002
      Snow Peak Titanium Spork
      October 31st 2002

      Item -
      A combination fork/spoon, otherwise known as a Spork
      Weight - .6 oz
      Material - Titanium
      MSRP - $10.95 US / 7 British Pound / 19.73 AUD

      Manufacturer -
      Snow Peak USA, Inc
      Lake Oswego, OR 97035
      Tel: 503.697.3330
      www.snowpeak.com

      Reviewer -
      Heather Martin
      18 years
      5'7" / 1.70 meters in height
      150 pounds / 68 kg / 10 stone

      Usage -

      Never have I been so enamoured with a utensil.

      When I first started using my Snow Peak Spork, I thought the handle was too
      small. As they say though, it's not how big it is, it's how you use it. Once
      you get over any attitude you may have towards smallness, you notice how
      comfortable it feels … not clunky, like some metal or plastic ware can.

      I was also suspicious at first with how much soup you could successfully
      slurp out of the spoon portion. I'm happy to report that this is actually one
      of the nicest spoons I've ever tried. Because a spork has fork teeth, you're
      able to easily spear noodles and vegetables in your soup. The spork holds a
      good amount of liquid at a time. Just be careful not to tip it downwards, or
      the soup will run through the tines.

      Since the Snow Peak Spork is made of Titanium, it makes a great bragging item
      for around the campfire boasts…in addition to being a lightweight,
      all-purpose utensil.

      Abusage -

      I've stepped on, kicked, sat on, and tried to bend my spork on purpose. I've
      left it out to freeze, then plunged it into my boiling hot morning cocoa.
      I've forgotten it in my pack for a week, thoroughly encrusted in oatmeal.
      Nothing fazes the Snow Peak Spork. It looks and feels as good as new. This is
      a lot more than I can say for the stainless steel flatware, Lexan, and
      el-cheapo plastic utensils I've used previously.

      Downsides -

      The only bad part of owning a titanium spork, is that your mother may make
      fun of you for your frivolity. Mine does. She doesn't have her own titanium
      spork, she just doesn't understand!

      Conclusions -

      When people see my titanium spork, they invariably want one. I'm thinking of
      carrying extras to give away to utensil-handicapped people.

      I love my Snow Peak Spork, and can't imagine how I ever gotten along without
      one! I don't miss having a "real" fork and spoon, and actually find that
      eating is easier with my spork. I've never had issues, even with spaghetti.

      It's only one utensil to keep track of and wash. It's lightweight. What else
      is cooler than a spork? Even the name sounds cool. Spork Spork Spork.

      My advice is to buy one, even if only for the novelty of it all. It may
      change your attitude towards utensils forever.

      Heather Martin
      Royalepain at AOL .com

      Biography -
      Heather Martin lives in Calais, Vermont, home of the famous nude Men Of Maple
      Corner. She has never tried nude backpacking, although if there is a female
      nudie calendar next year, she may try out for it.

      Heather has been camping her whole life, backpacking for a few years. Her
      usual stomping grounds include any part of the U.S. that's warm in the
      winter, as well as Mexico.

      Heather carries her spork around in the special spork pocket of her Carhartt
      pants when at home, and in the front mesh pocket of her ULA P-2 backpack
      while on the trail.

    • redbike64
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2002
        Loved the review. A comment and a question:

        * You forgot the best thing about owning a spork: being able to say
        the word, "spork,"

        * Have you found it difficult to not puncture mix-in-bag meal bags? I
        find I have to take a plastic spoon anyway when I have these, because
        I'm always sporking the bags otherwise.

        I think you know what to get mom for Christmas, eh?

        --Rick

      • John Burnet
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 12, 2002
          Hi Heather,

          Thanks for your engaging review of the Snow Peak
          Spork.

          Please remove the manufacturer's address and phone
          number from your review.

          I believe you meant 'I've' in the following: '...can't
          imagine how I ever gotten along without one!'

          When you have made the correctionreviewve you can
          upload your reviw to:

          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Utensils/Snow%20Peak%20Titanium%20Spork/

          Happy trails,

          John
          gatemansnametag(at)yahoo(dot)com
          BGT List monitor

          =====
          "What are the three most essential backpacking items?"

          "Toys, water, and food. Without water and food, you'll die. If you don't bring toys, all you'll have to play with is rocks and sticks."

          -- A. M. Frick

          http://launch.yahoo.com/u2