Filter explosion

  • Royalepain@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2002
      << One thing I would like to know... I've been reading little bits of your
      Long Trail
      Journal, and you say that your filter exploded.

      What filter was this? Can you define 'exploded'? >>

      MSR minworks. I pumped, and water spewed all over the place from every
      orrifice.

      I then scrubbed the heck out of the ceramic back home, and tested it -
      everything worked fine. I took it backpacking, and the first day out, tried
      using it. It wouldn't pump. Absolutely refused. It would pump on the
      upstroke, and suck up half a tube of water - then on the downstroke, would
      push most of that water out. Nothing would ever make it to my water bottle.

      I still haven't figured out this latest problem. I dissasemled and
      reassembled, checked the o-rings, scrubbed some more, etc etc...nothing
      works. Why? ;-)

      Heather

    • Shane Steinkamp
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31, 2002
        > I still haven't figured out this latest problem. I disassembled and
        > reassembled, checked the o-rings, scrubbed some more, etc
        > etc...nothing works. Why? ;-)

        Well, I'm quite a bit older than you, and I've been around the block a few
        times as the saying goes. I do know what's wrong with your filter, but I
        warn you that such remote diagnosis should not be attempted by persons
        without considerable experiences. So, to cut to the chase, the problem with
        your filter? It's broken.

        No need to thank me.

        Shane