Re: Golite gear at REIoutlet

  • Andy Mytys
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2002
      --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Rebecca" <europa1057@y...> wrote:
      > I'm a little curious about the deal between REI and Golite. I
      have
      > never seen Golite gear in their stores, but I have noticed Golite
      > gear on the rei-outlet webpage.

      I've talked to buyers from REI about this issue. They claim many of
      the smaller companies just don't have the manufactoring capactity to
      be represented both in stores and on the web. Some are in stores,
      but limited geographically based on local terrain. So, a mid-sized
      mountaineering company may be on the REI website, and also have gear
      in the Seattle store. But for us in Michigan, it's Grivel.

      In terms of UltraLight equipment, REI may be testing the waters by
      first seeing how a well known companies products due by just moving
      overstocked items.

      They might also be leary as UltraLight equipment tends to be less
      rugged. How will this characteristic dovetail with REIs 100%
      satisfaction guarantee? Sell for cheap, so with returns your cash-
      back bar is set lower.

      Finally, REI targets families and couples more than solo hikers.
      You get more sales selling to mom, dad, and the kids.
      An "UltraLight" pack isn't going to cut it with dad carrying all
      that extra gear.