Wally World Headlamps

  • Chief Moderator
    Message 1 of 30 , Oct 2, 2002
      Could a couple of you that have these headlamps please submit Owner's
      Reports on them. Enquiring minds want to know.....
      Jerry

      http://www.BackpackGearTest.org <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> :
      the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.

    • briansrapier@netscape.net
      Message 2 of 30 , Oct 2, 2002
        Jerry,

        Any particular models? I purchased 2 different headlamps when I first started SAR. One of them is still resident in my pack.

        Brian
        --
        "Je suis Marxiste... , tendance Groucho."

      • Chief Moderator
        Message 3 of 30 , Oct 2, 2002
          Both......of course.....lol. You could also do one on the one you kept
          while mentioning the other one and why you don't still use it. I'd
          prefer two though....greedy little wench, ain't I...... ;o)
          Jerry

          http://www.BackpackGearTest.org <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> :
          the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.

          Any particular models? I purchased 2 different headlamps when I first
          started SAR. One of them is still resident in my pack.

          Brian
          --
          "Je suis Marxiste... , tendance Groucho."

          http://webmail.netscape.com/

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=213858.2427123.3846989.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=1705
          066005:HM/A=763352/R=0/*http://www.classmates.com/index.tf?s=5085>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=213858.2427123.3846989.2225242/D=egrou
          pmail/S=:HM/A=763352/rand=930813919>

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • briansrapier@netscape.net
          Message 4 of 30 , Oct 2, 2002
            Avarice is the root of all that is BGT ;)

          • Shane Steinkamp
            Message 5 of 30 , Oct 2, 2002
              > Could a couple of you that have these headlamps
              > please submit Owner's Reports on them. Enquiring
              > minds want to know.....
              > Jerry

              Well, if you REALLY want some, I'm willing to play. My wife
              just bought an Eveready headlamp from Home Depot. It almost
              completely sucks. Can you say 'sucks' in a report?

              Shane
            • starnescr
              Message 6 of 30 , Oct 2, 2002
                Jerry

                Been meaning to but havent gotten around to it. I have the Raovac
                Sportsman but seem to have misplaces all the original packaging and
                literature. I may wait untill my next backpacking trip coming up in
                2 weeks so I can have a few more hours of use and comment more
                thouroghly on battery drain ect.. However, I will say I am tickled
                with mine so far. Oh and I got the Sportsman LED flashlight at the
                same time. Would it be OK to mention it in the same report, just not
                go all out on it.

                Coy Boy

                --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Chief Moderator"
                <ChiefModerator@B...> wrote:
                > Could a couple of you that have these headlamps please submit
                Owner's
                > Reports on them. Enquiring minds want to know.....
                > Jerry
                >

                > http://www.BackpackGearTest.org
                <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> :
                > the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the
                planet.

              • Chief Moderator
                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 2, 2002
                  As long as you support your statement, yes, you can say sucks......but
                  no stronger.....lol.
                  Jerry

                  http://www.BackpackGearTest.org <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> :
                  the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.

                  > Could a couple of you that have these headlamps
                  > please submit Owner's Reports on them. Enquiring
                  > minds want to know.....
                  > Jerry

                  Well, if you REALLY want some, I'm willing to play. My wife
                  just bought an Eveready headlamp from Home Depot. It almost
                  completely sucks. Can you say 'sucks' in a report?

                  Shane

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=228862.2128520.3581629.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                  066005:HM/A=1182702/R=0/*http://adfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/990-1736-1039
                  -333>

                  <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=228862.2128520.3581629.2225242/D=egrou
                  pmail/S=:HM/A=1182702/rand=126866004>

                  Message 8 of 30 , Oct 2, 2002
                    Under the circumstances, it would be OK to mention the flashlight.

                    <ChiefModerator@B...> wrote:
                    > Could a couple of you that have these headlamps please submit
                    Owner's
                    > Reports on them. Enquiring minds want to know.....
                    > Jerry
                    >

                    > http://www.BackpackGearTest.org
                    <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> :
                    > the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the
                    planet.

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=233351.2428261.3848243.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                    066005:HM/A=1213956/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/grp/300_Cquo1/g
                    22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

                    <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=233351.2428261.3848243.2225242/D=egrou
                    pmail/S=:HM/A=1213956/rand=632740097>

                    <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                  • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
                    Message 9 of 30 , Oct 2, 2002
                      "Wind"... right? <g>

                      -James T.

                      "Chief Moderator"
                      <ChiefModerator@BackpackGe To: <BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com>
                      arTest.org> cc:
                      10/02/2002 02:33 PM
                      Please respond to
                      BackpackGearTest

                      As long as you support your statement, yes, you can say sucks......but
                      no stronger.....lol.
                      Jerry

                      http://www.BackpackGearTest.org <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> :
                      the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.

                      > Could a couple of you that have these headlamps
                      > please submit Owner's Reports on them. Enquiring
                      > minds want to know.....
                      > Jerry

                      Well, if you REALLY want some, I'm willing to play. My wife
                      just bought an Eveready headlamp from Home Depot. It almost
                      completely sucks. Can you say 'sucks' in a report?

                      Shane
                    • David Anderson
                      Message 10 of 30 , Oct 2, 2002
                        Shane Steinkamp writes:
                        > Well, if you REALLY want some, I'm willing to play. My wife
                        > just bought an Eveready headlamp from Home Depot. It almost
                        > completely sucks. Can you say 'sucks' in a report?

                        You may want to wait a few days to complete your testing on this one. For
                        that matter you might need to find a way to tie your good headlamp to your
                        body somehow, as there is now some talk of the lady becoming a cat 5.

                        Take care amigo.

                        Dave
                      • Clifford R. Haynes
                        Message 11 of 30 , Oct 2, 2002
                          I have 3 of the Rayovac head lamps from Wally World, at under 13 bucks can't
                          beat them, and they are waterproof at least to 10 feet in salt water for 5
                          and a half hours.

                          > > Could a couple of you that have these headlamps
                          > > please submit Owner's Reports on them. Enquiring
                          > > minds want to know.....
                          > > Jerry
                          >
                          > Well, if you REALLY want some, I'm willing to play. My wife
                          > just bought an Eveready headlamp from Home Depot. It almost
                          > completely sucks. Can you say 'sucks' in a report?
                          >
                          > Shane

                        • Chief Moderator

                            > > Could a couple of you that have these headlamps
                            > > please submit Owner's Reports on them. Enquiring
                            > > minds want to know.....
                            > > Jerry
                            >
                            > Well, if you REALLY want some, I'm willing to play. My wife
                            > just bought an Eveready headlamp from Home Depot. It almost
                            > completely sucks. Can you say 'sucks' in a report?
                            >
                            > Shane

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=233351.2428261.3848243.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                            066005:HM/A=1234045/R=2/id=noscript/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/grp
                            /300_mapF/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

                            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=233351.2428261.3848243.2225242/D=egrou
                            pmail/S=:HM/A=1234045/rand=511436089>

                            Message 13 of 30 , Oct 2, 2002
                              Yuppers......it's seems to be building, big guy. It's gonna be great
                              Hennessy testing weather..... ;o) Take care of yourself. Don't die or
                              get hurt because someone else was an idiot.....let them pay the price.

                              066005:HM/A=1182691/R=0/*http://adfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/990-1736-1039
                              -333>

                              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=228862.2128520.3581629.2225242/D=egrou
                              pmail/S=:HM/A=1182691/rand=661260299>

                              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                            • Rami
                              Message 14 of 30 , Oct 2, 2002
                                From: Chief Moderator said
                                Don't die or get hurt because someone else was an idiot.....let them pay the price.
                                Jerry

                                [Rami:]
                                Ditto Shane, I've been in So. Fla. for a couple of those, and the moron quotient is elevated by the low pressure the storm carries!

                                Jerry, have you ever lived in Indiana? We have a family rule to never drive on the day of the first serious snow fall because they all come out to cause accidents.

                                -r

                              • Clifford R. Haynes
                                Message 15 of 30 , Oct 2, 2002
                                  I'll have to buy another to write a real report ( I don't have the package
                                  with the info), but quick and dirty.

                                  Rayovac Sportsman
                                  (A while back I looked on the Rayovac web site and the sportsman they showed
                                  only had the one Krypton bulb and isn't the light I got.)
                                  3.3 oz , 4.5oz with 3 Rayovac Max Alkaline AAA batteries, 4 position rotary
                                  snap switch on one end of battery compartment: off, on- single white LED
                                  only, on- 2 red LED only, on- krypton bulb only.
                                  I believe the package says up to 200 hours of operation on a set of
                                  batteries, I have over 100 on mine. Also the package I had said water proof,
                                  so a while back I submerged my sons to 10 feet in salt water while night
                                  fishing for over 5 1/5 hours, with no problems.
                                  For me the LEDs are bright enough for night hiking, and more than adequate
                                  around camp. These lights have worked really well for us. They only thing I
                                  don't like is the designer goofed in the switch circuit design, you have to
                                  go through white light to get to red, so using red may not preserve night
                                  vision unless you are careful turning it on and off.
                                • Chief Moderator
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Oct 2, 2002
                                    Some one mentioned on BPL that they looked on our site for info....just
                                    wanted to add them.
[...]

                                    pmail/S=:HM/A=1234045/rand=759476974>

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Oct 2, 2002
                                      I'll pick up another as soon as I can get down to Wal-Mart, and get a
                                      report out, but it may be a few days.
                                      > Some one mentioned on BPL that they looked on our site for info....just
                                      > wanted to add them.
                                      > Jerry
                                      >

                                      > http://www.BackpackGearTest.org <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> :
                                      > the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.

                                    • Leesa Joiner
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Oct 2, 2002

                                        Don't die or get hurt because someone else was an idiot.....let them pay
                                        the price.
                                        Jerry

                                        [Rami:]
                                        Ditto Shane, I've been in So. Fla. for a couple of those, and the moron
                                        quotient is elevated by the low pressure the storm carries!

                                        Jerry, have you ever lived in Indiana? We have a family rule to never drive
                                        on the day of the first serious snow fall because they all come out to cause
                                        accidents.

                                        -r

                                        Same here in Maine- You would think, in a place know for it's winters,
                                        people would have a clue as to how to drive. Not sure which is worse, the
                                        drivers or the moose who decide to take walks down the center of the main
                                        road during a snow storm. AT least the moose have the excuse they were here
                                        first! Leesa

                                      • David Anderson
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Oct 2, 2002
                                          Leesa Joiner writes:
                                          > Same here in Maine- You would think, in a place know for it's winters,
                                          > people would have a clue as to how to drive. Not sure which is worse, the
                                          > drivers or the moose who decide to take walks down the center of the main
                                          > road during a snow storm. AT least the moose have the excuse they were here
                                          > first! Leesa

                                          I've found that to be the case every place I've lived. Whether it's driving
                                          on wet pavement in the northwest, or driving on ice in Colorado or in
                                          Truckee. For some reason the first couple of storms of the season people
                                          seem to forget how to drive in weather.

                                          Even though New England winters aren't too bad compared to the western
                                          mountain states, driving there is worse since no one gets snow tires or
                                          chains, and they seem to think 4wd will get them through anything. And to
                                          top it off, half the drivers in Maine are up from Boston, and mixing Boston
                                          drivers and snow is one of the scariest things I've ever encountered.

                                          Dave
                                        • Leesa Joiner
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Oct 2, 2002
                                            on 10/2/02 7:41 PM, David Anderson at squtch@... wrote:

                                            Leesa Joiner writes:
                                            > Same here in Maine- You would think, in a place know for it's winters,
                                            > people would have a clue as to how to drive. Not sure which is worse, the
                                            > drivers or the moose who decide to take walks down the center of the main
                                            > road during a snow storm. AT least the moose have the excuse they were here
                                            > first! Leesa

                                            I've found that to be the case every place I've lived. Whether it's driving
                                            on wet pavement in the northwest, or driving on ice in Colorado or in
                                            Truckee. For some reason the first couple of storms of the season people
                                            seem to forget how to drive in weather.

                                            Even though New England winters aren't too bad compared to the western
                                            mountain states, driving there is worse since no one gets snow tires or
                                            chains, and they seem to think 4wd will get them through anything. And to
                                            top it off, half the drivers in Maine are up from Boston, and mixing Boston
                                            drivers and snow is one of the scariest things I've ever encountered.

                                            Dave

                                            I grew up in NE Ohio, where we got a lot of the same weather Buffalo got.
                                            I never was nervous about driving- Here in Maine, I am super cautious,
                                            because of the drivers from 'away'. Of course in Ohio, I never worried
                                            about sliding off the edge of a mountain road either or coming around a turn
                                            and finding a logging truck in my lane. BTW- I have chains and snow tires.
                                            Leesa

                                          • Shane Steinkamp
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Oct 2, 2002
                                              > As long as you support your statement, yes, you
                                              > can say sucks......but no stronger.....lol.

                                              As long as I know where my limits are... If sucks is
                                              allowed, then I guess 'blows', and 'Reminds me of Monica
                                              Lewinski' should be OK too... That reminds me of a really
                                              vile joke that I REALLY shouldn't tell here...

                                              > You may want to wait a few days to complete your
                                              > testing on this one. For that matter you might
                                              > need to find a way to tie your good headlamp to
                                              > your body somehow, as there is now some talk of
                                              > the lady becoming a cat 5. Take care amigo.

                                              Well, we picked up the Eveready today while gathering some
                                              last minute supplies. I like to have lots of everything
                                              because some of the older people in the neighborhood don't
                                              get out much and if somebody needs something they usually
                                              come to me. The curse of competence... Anyway, the shelves
                                              were almost bare, but they still had LOTS of these
                                              headlamps. I should have taken the hint, but NOoooo... I
                                              had to open my mouth and say, "How bad can it be?" Well, it
                                              DOES work, but it DOES greatly suck... I will have to
                                              compare it to some of the other cheap lights. It's a shame
                                              there isn't a 'shootout' section on BGT. It would be a lot
                                              of fun to rate 'gear under $10.00' and do a comparison.

                                              > Yuppers......it's seems to be building, big guy.
                                              > It's gonna be great Hennessy testing
                                              > weather..... ;o)

                                              If only the Hennessy had come, I would have set it up with
                                              two bags of sand. Alas, Ron says they ship at the end of
                                              the week... Of course, Lily is going to dump a lot of
                                              weather all the way to Maine in all probability, so SOMEBODY
                                              will have good test weather... Now I know I'm a gear nut...
                                              "Good test weather" indeed...

                                              > Take care of yourself. Don't die or get hurt
                                              > because someone else was an idiot.....let them
                                              > pay the price.

                                              I got the bad news today...I'm not allowed Wet Duck duty OR
                                              Archangel duty anymore - especially Archangel duty.
                                              Somebody told them that I have a wife and child now, and
                                              they also found out that I'm 34. No Wet Duck volunteers
                                              over 35... Damn rules... Now I'm relegated to command
                                              center and training duty. I guess I'm 'lucky' I got to do
                                              the things that I did for the years that I got to do them,
                                              and lucky I got out alive. My heart does go out to the guys
                                              (and gals) that do the things that keep the average Joe (and
                                              Jane) safe and secure. I will never forget being IN Morgan
                                              City for Andrew, which has just been retroactively upgraded
                                              to a Cat 5 storm. Ah, those were the days...

                                              There's a city, which is also an island called Grand Isle
                                              that's going to take a mighty hit, and probably be a level
                                              strip of sand in the morning. Their 'protection levee' is
                                              12 feet high. The storm surge might be as high as 15 feet.
                                              You do the math. Despite that, some of the firemen and the
                                              police chief have stayed because some of the people who live
                                              there decided not to leave despite the threat, and the
                                              mandatory evacuation order. (While I believe strongly in
                                              freedom and rights, there ARE times and circumstances when
                                              people should be drug from their homes...) At some point
                                              they will no longer be able to leave even if they want to
                                              because LA 1 washes out in the first few hours of ANY storm.
                                              So, while I'll see some wind, and play in a little rain, the
                                              Archangels have my respect and my prayers - and it makes me
                                              a little sad to know that I won't be able to stand among
                                              them anymore and walk through that dark valley.

                                              Think about that really hard, because while we've turned a
                                              lot of firemen and police into heroes lately, there are an
                                              awful lot of people who place themselves in harms way for us
                                              every day, and get no recognition and little thanks - and in
                                              the case of volunteers, no pay. If you haven't done it
                                              recently, go thank some firemen and some police. Do
                                              something nice for them...

                                              If all is well in the morning, I should be back online
                                              tomorrow night. If I'm not back, then thanks for the times,
                                              and I wish you all the best.

                                              Shane
                                            • George McFly
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Oct 4, 2002
                                                This is where I get to recommend some gear... The Subaru Outback VDC. This is the car I got in 2001, and I have put over 40k miles on it, but still immensely impressed. The traction control, dynamics control and the AWD make it pretty much the ultimate foul weather driving machine. It has a lower center of gravity than the SUVs, so it is more stable. It is cheaper than pretty much all the other luxury AWD wagons on the market, but it is still SERIOUSLY luxurious. The new models are pretty dang similar, but have a couple bells and whistles extra (OnStar!). I love this thing! And it is SUPER safe too. Doesn't stop an idiot from making mistakes, but gets pretty close.
                                                -Toby Kraft

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Oct 4, 2002
                                                  George McFly writes:

                                                  > This is where I get to recommend some gear... The Subaru Outback VDC. This is the car I got in 2001, and I have put over 40k miles on it, but still immensely impressed. The traction control, dynamics control and the AWD make it pretty much the ultimate foul weather driving machine. It has a lower center of gravity than the SUVs, so it is more stable. It is cheaper than pretty much all the other luxury AWD wagons on the market, but it is still SERIOUSLY luxurious. The new models are pretty dang similar, but have a couple bells and whistles extra (OnStar!). I love this thing! And it is SUPER safe too. Doesn't stop an idiot from making mistakes, but gets pretty close.
                                                  > -Toby Kraft

                                                  But do you have real snow tires (not the M+S garbage)? How about chains?

                                                  The idiots that I was refering to in MA (Leesa's "away" people) seem to
                                                  think that 4wd/AWD make their car safe in the snow (and for some unknown
                                                  reason they think that there isn't anyplace that has worse winters than New
                                                  England). After much experience, I would always choose a 2wd w/o traction
                                                  control or anti-lock, but with blizzaks over a AWD with all the gimmicks and
                                                  M+S tires. And even with snow tires and 4wd there have been times that I
                                                  have had to chain up.

                                                  Most accidents happen when you are trying to stop. neither 4wd or anti-lock
                                                  will help you stop if you are in a 4 wheel slide. Tires that actually grip
                                                  the snow and ice will help keep you from getting into that slide in the
                                                  first place.

                                                  Dave
                                                • Marge Prothman
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Oct 4, 2002
                                                    Dave wrote:
                                                    Most accidents happen when you are trying to stop. neither 4wd or anti-lock
                                                    will help you stop if you are in a 4 wheel slide. Tires that actually grip
                                                    the snow and ice will help keep you from getting into that slide in the
                                                    first place.

                                                    Dave
                                                    I think you hit it right on the head here. I have worked and lived in snow
                                                    country
                                                    for quite a number of years. I have never had four wheel drive. Always
                                                    drove a
                                                    Ford Taurus with snow tires. In fact I just bought another Taurus. This
                                                    makes number
                                                    4 for me. However where I live, Jeeps and Subaru's are the big thing, but
                                                    cost too many
                                                    dollars for this old gal.

                                                    Cheers, Marge (the old gal)
                                                  • Chief Moderator
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Oct 4, 2002
                                                      Studs...hard to beat. The best traction devices are the ones you
                                                      actually have on your car. I've pushed other cars up hill with studs on
                                                      a Sheriff's Patrol unit (Ford sedan).

                                                      066005:HM/A=1212978/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/grp/300_youH1/g
                                                      22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

                                                      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=233351.2428261.3848243.2225242/D=egrou
                                                      pmail/S=:HM/A=1212978/rand=832451972>

                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Oct 4, 2002
                                                        Chief Moderator writes:

                                                        > Studs...hard to beat. The best traction devices are the ones you
                                                        > actually have on your car. I've pushed other cars up hill with studs on
                                                        > a Sheriff's Patrol unit (Ford sedan).
                                                        > Jerry

                                                        Studs don't do caca in packed powder if there is nothing for them to grip.
                                                        But nothing short of chains beats them on ice. They also have less grip on
                                                        wet pavement than regular snow tires. Something like Nokian Hakkapeliitta 1
                                                        is a good combinations of friction and stud.

                                                        Dave
                                                      • Rebecca
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Oct 4, 2002
                                                          Growing up in northern michigan, I learned to drive in snow. I had
                                                          no other option! And when I bought my first car, it was a cheapo
                                                          dodge neon. It got me all over the state in all sorts of weather,
                                                          <sarcasm>thanks to my perfect winter driving skills</sarcasm>

                                                          Of course, right after I moved to CA I bought an SUV once I realized
                                                          that neons can't make it down a lot of CA forest roads very easily,
                                                          which is exactly where I wanted to go for good backpacking. BUT, the
                                                          week after I bought my SUV I bought the snowchains...I'm no dummy
                                                          when it comes to snow! That 4WD is handy, but just as Dave says
                                                          below, it doesn't do squat when you're in a 4 wheel slide (bowing
                                                          head in shame...happened to me last winter in Mammoth while I was
                                                          debating whether I needed my chains...oops)

                                                          If we could do gear reviews on our cars I think mine would be the
                                                          length of Gone with the Wind....

                                                          --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "David Anderson" <squtch@q...> wrote:

                                                          > Most accidents happen when you are trying to stop. neither 4wd or
                                                          anti-lock
                                                          > will help you stop if you are in a 4 wheel slide. Tires that
                                                          actually grip
                                                          > the snow and ice will help keep you from getting into that slide in
                                                          the
                                                          > first place.
                                                          >
                                                          > Dave
                                                        • Chief Moderator
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Oct 4, 2002
                                                            The biggest winter problem in Oklahoma and Texas is ice....lots and lots
                                                            of very thick ice. I've stopped many a time by just braking, then
                                                            slapping it in reverse....lol. Works real well with chains.

                                                            http://www.BackpackGearTest.org <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> :
                                                            the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.

                                                            > Studs...hard to beat. The best traction devices are the ones you
                                                            > actually have on your car. I've pushed other cars up hill with studs
                                                            on
                                                            > a Sheriff's Patrol unit (Ford sedan).
                                                            > Jerry

                                                            Studs don't do caca in packed powder if there is nothing for them to
                                                            grip.
                                                            But nothing short of chains beats them on ice. They also have less grip
                                                            on
                                                            wet pavement than regular snow tires. Something like Nokian
                                                            Hakkapeliitta 1
                                                            is a good combinations of friction and stud.

                                                            Dave

                                                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                                            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=213858.2436161.3858594.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                                                            066005:HM/A=763352/R=0/*http://www.classmates.com/index.tf?s=5085>

                                                            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=213858.2436161.3858594.2225242/D=egrou
                                                            pmail/S=:HM/A=763352/rand=460974100>

                                                            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                                                          • Jack Corrigan
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Oct 4, 2002
                                                              I modified a ford escort a while back then had to add the trailer for dogs and winter gear. Stops on a dime, climbs great but gas economy has suffered!

                                                              http://www.jackquest.com/JackQuest/Images/bolio3.jpg

                                                              TEAM JackQuest
                                                              Jack, Cyber and Drager
                                                              www.jackquest.com

                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Oct 4, 2002
                                                                Probably....but the conversion was outstanding!.... nice job....lol.
                                                                Jerry

                                                                http://www.BackpackGearTest.org <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> :
                                                                the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.

                                                                > Studs...hard to beat. The best traction devices are the ones you
                                                                > actually have on your car. I've pushed other cars up hill with studs
                                                                on
                                                                > a Sheriff's Patrol unit (Ford sedan).
                                                                > Jerry

                                                                Studs don't do caca in packed powder if there is nothing for them to
                                                                grip.
                                                                But nothing short of chains beats them on ice. They also have less
                                                                grip
                                                                on
                                                                wet pavement than regular snow tires. Something like Nokian
                                                                Hakkapeliitta 1
                                                                is a good combinations of friction and stud.

                                                                Dave

                                                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                                                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=213858.2436161.3858594.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                                                                066005:HM/A=763352/R=0/*http://www.classmates.com/index.tf?s=5085>