BD MegaLight Application

  • trailtripper2003
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2002
      This is my Application to test the Black Diamond MegaLight

      Personal Info

      Name: Matt Willis
      E-mail: mwillis@...
      Age: 15
      Height: 6 ft (1.83 m)
      Weight: 145 lbs (54 kg)
      Location: Oregon

      Background:
      I am a Boy Scout from Troop 260 in Oregon. I have been backpacking/car
      camping for the past five years in Washington and Oregon. I have
      climbed Mt. Washington (in Washington), Mt. Adams, and have done the
      Bowron canoe circuit in B.C. Currently, I have my pack down to ~25 lbs
      in the winter and ~20 lbs in the summer without food and water.

      Application
      I currently use a Black Diamond Betamid and Bibler Winter Bivy. I am
      very happy with the Betamid, which is a small version of the Megamid,
      that I bought almost a year ago. Before I bought the Betamid I first
      looked at BD's Megamid. I liked everything about it except for one
      thing, it was too large. It could easily fit three people plus gear and
      I have never shared a shelter with more than one other person. Which is
      why I think I would be a good candidate for the MegaLight. I don't like
      floors on tents, and I'm always looking for new ways to save weight.

      Most of my outings are in the Cascades of Oregon. I go hiking anywhere
      from 200 feet to 10,000 feet (60 m - 3000 m). We're already getting our
      first real rain and the snow level has dropped to 6,000 feet this week
      which means I'll have plenty of snow and rain to test the MegaLight in.
      If chosen to test the Mega Light I would take it with me on an outing
      in October, a snowshoe hike in December in the Cascades, a climb up Mt.
      Hood, and all other outings I'll have during the testing time. During
      the winter all my hikes and climbs are weekend trips but I will try to
      get a longer hike in to get a good test of the Mega Light.

      I have read the BGT survival guide, version 0802, and I agree to comply
      with all of the testing and reporting requirements.

      Below are two links to reports I have written

      Black Diamond Betamid tent
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Shelters/
      Tarps%20and%20%20Bivys/Black%20Diamond%20Betamid/betamid.html

      REI Talus 35
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Packs/
      REI%20Talus%2035/REI_Talus_35.html

      I have also written an owner review for the REI Polar Pod, and am
      currently testing the Bibler Winter Bivy and KISKIL Mithril pack.

      Thanks for your consideration!

      Matt

      "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power,
      and the fear of freedom shrinks and canishes. You are free."

      - Jim Morrison