Re: Windstopper gloves

  • redbike64
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2002
      Rebecca,

      Windstopper seems to work really well fending off cold and wet, and
      is reasonably supple, if not as snug as a properly fitted pair of
      cycling gloves.

      Try to find some "lobster-style" gloves which have separate index
      fingers but combine the other three fingers mitten-style. They give
      maximum warmth and still allow you to use your controls and push the
      little buttons on your bike computer.

      --Rick

      --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Rebecca" <europa1057@y...> wrote:
      > Hi gearheads,
      >
      > I bike to work every day, and recently the temperatures have been
      low
      > enough in the morning to require the use of gloves. I've been
      > getting by with using a cheap pair of liner gloves, but they don't
      do
      > much to cut the wind (which is what causes my fingers to freeze in
      > the first place!) The only windproof gloves I have are my heavy
      > goretex insulated ski gloves, and they don't exactly work well on a
      > bike.
      >
      > I was looking at some of the windstopper/schoeller tool gloves at
      REI
      > and was wondering if any of you had
      experiences/opinions/suggestions
      > (or knew where to get a good deal on them - $50 is a little steep
      for
      > gloves!). I am basically looking for a lightweight glove that will
      > cut the wind. If it cuts the wind I don't need a lot of
      insulation.
      > I don't WANT a lot of insulation because I need to be able to use
      my
      > hands - I go up and down steep hills on my way to work and need to
      be
      > able to work my gears. =) Grippy stuff on the fingers/palm is a
      > must.
      >
      > I have biking gloves that sort of work okay, but I am hoping to
      kill
      > two birds with one stone and use these gloves with liners while
      > snowshoeing in windy conditions this winter also.
      >
      > http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?

      storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=11333333&parent_category_
      > rn=40000003
      >
      > http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?

      storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=3307&parent_category_rn=4
      > 0000003
      >
      > http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?

      storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=6077202&parent_category_r
      > n=4500796
      >
      > Thanks everyone.
    • Rebecca
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2002
        Thanks for the suggestions. I think I found what I'm looking for.
        Marmot Mountain has a nice pair of windstopper gloves that seem to
        fit exactly what I'm looking for, and they are on a darn good sale.
        Now if I could only make up a reason to drive down to Santa Clara to
        stop by the store..... =)

        --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "redbike64" <richard.dreher@j...> wrote:
        > Rebecca,
        >
        > Windstopper seems to work really well fending off cold and wet, and
        > is reasonably supple, if not as snug as a properly fitted pair of
        > cycling gloves.
        >
        > Try to find some "lobster-style" gloves which have separate index
        > fingers but combine the other three fingers mitten-style. They give
        > maximum warmth and still allow you to use your controls and push
        the
        > little buttons on your bike computer.
        >
        > --Rick

      • Jason Rumohr
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2002
          Rebecca,

          I got some "waterproof/breathable" fleece gloves on closeout at Target last
          year for $7. They are black with grippy palms/fingers and say "PEAK (tm)
          TECHNOLOGY" on them. They are far from waterproof (the seams aren't sealed)
          but they do a great job blocking the wind. I know the downhill finger-freeze
          on a bicycle too!

          Jason
          Seattle, WA