Re: [BackpackGearTest] Windstopper gloves

  • JimSabis@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2002
      In a message dated 10/1/02 1:49:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      europa1057@... writes:

      > I was looking at some of the windstopper/schoeller tool gloves at REI
      > and was wondering if any of you had experiences/opinions/suggestions
      > (or knew where to get a good deal on them - $50 is a little steep for
      > gloves!). I am basically looking for a lightweight glove that will
      > cut the wind. If it cuts the wind I don't need a lot of insulation.
      > I don't WANT a lot of insulation because I need to be able to use my
      > hands - I go up and down steep hills on my way to work and need to be
      > able to work my gears. =) Grippy stuff on the fingers/palm is a
      > must.

      Europa,

      Take a look at these gloves being offered at Sierra Trading Post (.com):
      cat.#  55631-27  These are 'windstopper' gloves made by Manzella which may
      suit your purpose(s). I just ordered a pair (they cost about $17), but have
      not received them yet, so I can't comment on details.

      In the STP photo, they resemble a pair of gloves I purchased last winter.
      These are made by Seirus, and are waterproof/breathable. They offer some
      insulating qualities, having a THIN microfleece lining, but are intended more
      as a windblocking shell. These will accept my EMS gripper dot liners without
      to much binding. They received a great deal of interest from Mark Chauvin, of
      Chauvin International Climbing Guides, when I climbed on Mt. Washington with
      him last winter. I tend to run very hot, so I overheat in any insulated
      gloves when below treeline. Accordingly, I have a very strong interest in
      this type of product.

      I spent many winters (one in Maine!) cycling to work, so I can appreciate
      your comments. Back then, 20 years ago (ouch!), the shell/liner glove concept
      hadn't been invented yet, so I made do with ski gloves.

      If you want, wait a week until I receive my Manzella gloves and I'll report
      on them. Try to locate the Seirus version and research them for comparison,
      in the meantime.

      Jim S.

    • redbike64
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2002
        Rebecca,

        Windstopper seems to work really well fending off cold and wet, and
        is reasonably supple, if not as snug as a properly fitted pair of
        cycling gloves.

        Try to find some "lobster-style" gloves which have separate index
        fingers but combine the other three fingers mitten-style. They give
        maximum warmth and still allow you to use your controls and push the
        little buttons on your bike computer.

        --Rick

        --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Rebecca" <europa1057@y...> wrote:
        > Hi gearheads,
        >
        > I bike to work every day, and recently the temperatures have been
        low
        > enough in the morning to require the use of gloves. I've been
        > getting by with using a cheap pair of liner gloves, but they don't
        do
        > much to cut the wind (which is what causes my fingers to freeze in
        > the first place!) The only windproof gloves I have are my heavy
        > goretex insulated ski gloves, and they don't exactly work well on a
        > bike.
        >
        > I was looking at some of the windstopper/schoeller tool gloves at
        REI
        > and was wondering if any of you had
        experiences/opinions/suggestions
        > (or knew where to get a good deal on them - $50 is a little steep
        for
        > gloves!). I am basically looking for a lightweight glove that will
        > cut the wind. If it cuts the wind I don't need a lot of
        insulation.
        > I don't WANT a lot of insulation because I need to be able to use
        my
        > hands - I go up and down steep hills on my way to work and need to
        be
        > able to work my gears. =) Grippy stuff on the fingers/palm is a
        > must.
        >
        > I have biking gloves that sort of work okay, but I am hoping to
        kill
        > two birds with one stone and use these gloves with liners while
        > snowshoeing in windy conditions this winter also.
        >
        > http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?

        storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=11333333&parent_category_
        > rn=40000003
        >
        > http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?

        storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=3307&parent_category_rn=4
        > 0000003
        >
        > http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?

        storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=6077202&parent_category_r
        > n=4500796
        >
        > Thanks everyone.
      • Rebecca
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2002
          Thanks for the suggestions. I think I found what I'm looking for.
          Marmot Mountain has a nice pair of windstopper gloves that seem to
          fit exactly what I'm looking for, and they are on a darn good sale.
          Now if I could only make up a reason to drive down to Santa Clara to
          stop by the store..... =)

          --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "redbike64" <richard.dreher@j...> wrote:
          > Rebecca,
          >
          > Windstopper seems to work really well fending off cold and wet, and
          > is reasonably supple, if not as snug as a properly fitted pair of
          > cycling gloves.
          >
          > Try to find some "lobster-style" gloves which have separate index
          > fingers but combine the other three fingers mitten-style. They give
          > maximum warmth and still allow you to use your controls and push
          the
          > little buttons on your bike computer.
          >
          > --Rick

        • Jason Rumohr
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2002
            Rebecca,

            I got some "waterproof/breathable" fleece gloves on closeout at Target last
            year for $7. They are black with grippy palms/fingers and say "PEAK (tm)
            TECHNOLOGY" on them. They are far from waterproof (the seams aren't sealed)
            but they do a great job blocking the wind. I know the downhill finger-freeze
            on a bicycle too!

            Jason
            Seattle, WA