Re: Windstopper gloves

  • Tom Jones
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2002
      Windstopper Gloves work great for this. They need not be expensive.
      Check out:

      http://www.bdel.com/backcountry/gloves_windstopper.html

      Or do a search on REI for Windstopper. The windstopper fabric comes
      in different weights, so not all Windstopper gloves are created
      equal. Fit has a lot to do with how well they will work for you too.

      I think you will find that they make a good liner under a simple
      shell, if you want to extend them a bit.

      Full Disclosure: I work for Black Diamond, but not on that specific
      product. I really like them. I give them to my family for Christmas.

      Tom

      --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Rebecca" <europa1057@y...> wrote:
      > Hi gearheads,
      >
      > I bike to work every day, and recently the temperatures have been
      low enough in the morning to require the use of gloves. I've been
      > getting by with using a cheap pair of liner gloves, but they don't
      do much to cut the wind (which is what causes my fingers to freeze in
      > the first place!) The only windproof gloves I have are my heavy
      > goretex insulated ski gloves, and they don't exactly work well on a
      > bike.
      >
      > I was looking at some of the windstopper/schoeller tool gloves at
      REI and was wondering if any of you had experiences/ opinions/
      suggestions (or knew where to get a good deal on them - $50 is a
      little steep for gloves!). I am basically looking for a lightweight
      glove that will cut the wind. If it cuts the wind I don't need a lot
      of insulation.

      > I don't WANT a lot of insulation because I need to be able to use
      my hands - I go up and down steep hills on my way to work and need to
      be able to work my gears. =) Grippy stuff on the fingers/palm is a
      > must.
      >
      > I have biking gloves that sort of work okay, but I am hoping to
      kill two birds with one stone and use these gloves with liners while

    • JimSabis@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2002
        In a message dated 10/1/02 1:49:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        europa1057@... writes:

        > I was looking at some of the windstopper/schoeller tool gloves at REI
        > and was wondering if any of you had experiences/opinions/suggestions
        > (or knew where to get a good deal on them - $50 is a little steep for
        > gloves!). I am basically looking for a lightweight glove that will
        > cut the wind. If it cuts the wind I don't need a lot of insulation.
        > I don't WANT a lot of insulation because I need to be able to use my
        > hands - I go up and down steep hills on my way to work and need to be
        > able to work my gears. =) Grippy stuff on the fingers/palm is a
        > must.

        Europa,

        Take a look at these gloves being offered at Sierra Trading Post (.com):
        cat.#  55631-27  These are 'windstopper' gloves made by Manzella which may
        suit your purpose(s). I just ordered a pair (they cost about $17), but have
        not received them yet, so I can't comment on details.

        In the STP photo, they resemble a pair of gloves I purchased last winter.
        These are made by Seirus, and are waterproof/breathable. They offer some
        insulating qualities, having a THIN microfleece lining, but are intended more
        as a windblocking shell. These will accept my EMS gripper dot liners without
        to much binding. They received a great deal of interest from Mark Chauvin, of
        Chauvin International Climbing Guides, when I climbed on Mt. Washington with
        him last winter. I tend to run very hot, so I overheat in any insulated
        gloves when below treeline. Accordingly, I have a very strong interest in
        this type of product.

        I spent many winters (one in Maine!) cycling to work, so I can appreciate
        your comments. Back then, 20 years ago (ouch!), the shell/liner glove concept
        hadn't been invented yet, so I made do with ski gloves.

        If you want, wait a week until I receive my Manzella gloves and I'll report
        on them. Try to locate the Seirus version and research them for comparison,
        in the meantime.

        Jim S.

      • redbike64
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2002
          Rebecca,

          Windstopper seems to work really well fending off cold and wet, and
          is reasonably supple, if not as snug as a properly fitted pair of
          cycling gloves.

          Try to find some "lobster-style" gloves which have separate index
          fingers but combine the other three fingers mitten-style. They give
          maximum warmth and still allow you to use your controls and push the
          little buttons on your bike computer.

          --Rick

          --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Rebecca" <europa1057@y...> wrote:
          > Hi gearheads,
          >
          > I bike to work every day, and recently the temperatures have been
          low
          > enough in the morning to require the use of gloves. I've been
          > getting by with using a cheap pair of liner gloves, but they don't
          do
          > much to cut the wind (which is what causes my fingers to freeze in
          > the first place!) The only windproof gloves I have are my heavy
          > goretex insulated ski gloves, and they don't exactly work well on a
          > bike.
          >
          > I was looking at some of the windstopper/schoeller tool gloves at
          REI
          > and was wondering if any of you had
          experiences/opinions/suggestions
          > (or knew where to get a good deal on them - $50 is a little steep
          for
          > gloves!). I am basically looking for a lightweight glove that will
          > cut the wind. If it cuts the wind I don't need a lot of
          insulation.
          > I don't WANT a lot of insulation because I need to be able to use
          my
          > hands - I go up and down steep hills on my way to work and need to
          be
          > able to work my gears. =) Grippy stuff on the fingers/palm is a
          > must.
          >
          > I have biking gloves that sort of work okay, but I am hoping to
          kill
          > two birds with one stone and use these gloves with liners while
          > snowshoeing in windy conditions this winter also.
          >
          > http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?

          storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=11333333&parent_category_
          > rn=40000003
          >
          > http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?

          storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=3307&parent_category_rn=4
          > 0000003
          >
          > http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?

          storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=6077202&parent_category_r
          > n=4500796
          >
          > Thanks everyone.
        • Rebecca
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2002
            Thanks for the suggestions. I think I found what I'm looking for.
            Marmot Mountain has a nice pair of windstopper gloves that seem to
            fit exactly what I'm looking for, and they are on a darn good sale.
            Now if I could only make up a reason to drive down to Santa Clara to
            stop by the store..... =)

            --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "redbike64" <richard.dreher@j...> wrote:
            > Rebecca,
            >
            > Windstopper seems to work really well fending off cold and wet, and
            > is reasonably supple, if not as snug as a properly fitted pair of
            > cycling gloves.
            >
            > Try to find some "lobster-style" gloves which have separate index
            > fingers but combine the other three fingers mitten-style. They give
            > maximum warmth and still allow you to use your controls and push
            the
            > little buttons on your bike computer.
            >
            > --Rick

          • Jason Rumohr
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 1, 2002
              Rebecca,

              I got some "waterproof/breathable" fleece gloves on closeout at Target last
              year for $7. They are black with grippy palms/fingers and say "PEAK (tm)
              TECHNOLOGY" on them. They are far from waterproof (the seams aren't sealed)
              but they do a great job blocking the wind. I know the downhill finger-freeze
              on a bicycle too!

              Jason
              Seattle, WA