Windstopper gloves

  • Rebecca
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2002
      Hi gearheads,

      I bike to work every day, and recently the temperatures have been low
      enough in the morning to require the use of gloves. I've been
      getting by with using a cheap pair of liner gloves, but they don't do
      much to cut the wind (which is what causes my fingers to freeze in
      the first place!) The only windproof gloves I have are my heavy
      goretex insulated ski gloves, and they don't exactly work well on a
      bike.

      I was looking at some of the windstopper/schoeller tool gloves at REI
      and was wondering if any of you had experiences/opinions/suggestions
      (or knew where to get a good deal on them - $50 is a little steep for
      gloves!). I am basically looking for a lightweight glove that will
      cut the wind. If it cuts the wind I don't need a lot of insulation.
      I don't WANT a lot of insulation because I need to be able to use my
      hands - I go up and down steep hills on my way to work and need to be
      able to work my gears. =) Grippy stuff on the fingers/palm is a
      must.

      I have biking gloves that sort of work okay, but I am hoping to kill
      two birds with one stone and use these gloves with liners while
      snowshoeing in windy conditions this winter also.

      http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?
      storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=11333333&parent_category_
      rn=40000003

      http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?
      storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=3307&parent_category_rn=4
      0000003

      http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?
      storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=6077202&parent_category_r
      n=4500796

      Thanks everyone.
    • Tom Jones
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2002
        Windstopper Gloves work great for this. They need not be expensive.
        Check out:

        http://www.bdel.com/backcountry/gloves_windstopper.html

        Or do a search on REI for Windstopper. The windstopper fabric comes
        in different weights, so not all Windstopper gloves are created
        equal. Fit has a lot to do with how well they will work for you too.

        I think you will find that they make a good liner under a simple
        shell, if you want to extend them a bit.

        Full Disclosure: I work for Black Diamond, but not on that specific
        product. I really like them. I give them to my family for Christmas.

        Tom

      • JimSabis@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2002
          In a message dated 10/1/02 1:49:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          europa1057@... writes:

          > I was looking at some of the windstopper/schoeller tool gloves at REI
          > and was wondering if any of you had experiences/opinions/suggestions
          > (or knew where to get a good deal on them - $50 is a little steep for
          > gloves!). I am basically looking for a lightweight glove that will
          > cut the wind. If it cuts the wind I don't need a lot of insulation.
          > I don't WANT a lot of insulation because I need to be able to use my
          > hands - I go up and down steep hills on my way to work and need to be
          > able to work my gears. =) Grippy stuff on the fingers/palm is a
          > must.

          Europa,

          Take a look at these gloves being offered at Sierra Trading Post (.com):
          cat.#  55631-27  These are 'windstopper' gloves made by Manzella which may
          suit your purpose(s). I just ordered a pair (they cost about $17), but have
          not received them yet, so I can't comment on details.

          In the STP photo, they resemble a pair of gloves I purchased last winter.
          These are made by Seirus, and are waterproof/breathable. They offer some
          insulating qualities, having a THIN microfleece lining, but are intended more
          as a windblocking shell. These will accept my EMS gripper dot liners without
          to much binding. They received a great deal of interest from Mark Chauvin, of
          Chauvin International Climbing Guides, when I climbed on Mt. Washington with
          him last winter. I tend to run very hot, so I overheat in any insulated
          gloves when below treeline. Accordingly, I have a very strong interest in
          this type of product.

          I spent many winters (one in Maine!) cycling to work, so I can appreciate
          your comments. Back then, 20 years ago (ouch!), the shell/liner glove concept
          hadn't been invented yet, so I made do with ski gloves.

          If you want, wait a week until I receive my Manzella gloves and I'll report
          on them. Try to locate the Seirus version and research them for comparison,
          in the meantime.

          Jim S.

        • redbike64
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2002
            Rebecca,

            Windstopper seems to work really well fending off cold and wet, and
            is reasonably supple, if not as snug as a properly fitted pair of
            cycling gloves.

            Try to find some "lobster-style" gloves which have separate index
            fingers but combine the other three fingers mitten-style. They give
            maximum warmth and still allow you to use your controls and push the
            little buttons on your bike computer.

            --Rick

            --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Rebecca" <europa1057@y...> wrote:
            > Hi gearheads,
            >
            > I bike to work every day, and recently the temperatures have been
            low
            > enough in the morning to require the use of gloves. I've been
            > getting by with using a cheap pair of liner gloves, but they don't
            do
            > much to cut the wind (which is what causes my fingers to freeze in
            > the first place!) The only windproof gloves I have are my heavy
            > goretex insulated ski gloves, and they don't exactly work well on a
            > bike.
            >
            > I was looking at some of the windstopper/schoeller tool gloves at
            REI
            > and was wondering if any of you had
            experiences/opinions/suggestions
            > (or knew where to get a good deal on them - $50 is a little steep
            for
            > gloves!). I am basically looking for a lightweight glove that will
            > cut the wind. If it cuts the wind I don't need a lot of
            insulation.
            > I don't WANT a lot of insulation because I need to be able to use
            my
            > hands - I go up and down steep hills on my way to work and need to
            be
            > able to work my gears. =) Grippy stuff on the fingers/palm is a
            > must.
            >
            > I have biking gloves that sort of work okay, but I am hoping to
            kill
            > two birds with one stone and use these gloves with liners while
            > snowshoeing in windy conditions this winter also.
            >
            > http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?

            storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=11333333&parent_category_
            > rn=40000003
            >
            > http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?

            storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=3307&parent_category_rn=4
            > 0000003
            >
            > http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?

            storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=6077202&parent_category_r
            > n=4500796
            >
            > Thanks everyone.
          • Rebecca
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 1, 2002
              Thanks for the suggestions. I think I found what I'm looking for.
              Marmot Mountain has a nice pair of windstopper gloves that seem to
              fit exactly what I'm looking for, and they are on a darn good sale.
              Now if I could only make up a reason to drive down to Santa Clara to
              stop by the store..... =)

              --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "redbike64" <richard.dreher@j...> wrote:
              > Rebecca,
              >
              > Windstopper seems to work really well fending off cold and wet, and
              > is reasonably supple, if not as snug as a properly fitted pair of
              > cycling gloves.
              >
              > Try to find some "lobster-style" gloves which have separate index
              > fingers but combine the other three fingers mitten-style. They give
              > maximum warmth and still allow you to use your controls and push
              the
              > little buttons on your bike computer.
              >
              > --Rick

            • Jason Rumohr
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 1, 2002
                Rebecca,

                I got some "waterproof/breathable" fleece gloves on closeout at Target last
                year for $7. They are black with grippy palms/fingers and say "PEAK (tm)
                TECHNOLOGY" on them. They are far from waterproof (the seams aren't sealed)
                but they do a great job blocking the wind. I know the downhill finger-freeze
                on a bicycle too!

                Jason
                Seattle, WA