Approval to upload owner's review? Format question

  • briansrapier@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2002
      Just curious... I posted a review yesterday on the GE First Need and haven't heard any comments. I know yesterday was Monday, so no rush...

      Also, when uploading files: When adding a title to the report, should the title follow a format, something like:

      MANUFACTURER PRODUCT {MODEL} - TYPE OF REPORT

      i.e.,

      Leatherman Squirt P4 - Initial Report

      or

      Granite Gear Virga 3200 - Owner's Review

      The reason I ask is because I see a lot of inconsistency. Some list manufacturer and product, some just have the product, and others only have model (i.e., P4 - Initial report). There are even a couple that don't have the type of report. From my perspective, this could be a bit confusing to someone not familiar with the site to miss something that they are looking for.

      I know it is a bit late to chime in, but perhaps one idea to help would be to add another tier to the folders. After the category, say "backpacks", have a list of manufacturers, then specific products. I know, I know...., can of worms...

      Brian

    • David Anderson
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2002
        briansrapier@... writes:

        > Just curious... I posted a review yesterday on the GE First Need and haven't heard any comments. I know yesterday was Monday, so no rush...

        I think the editors were all out for the weekend, so they probably have a
        bunch of stuff to catch up on.

        > Also, when uploading files: When adding a title to the report, should the title follow a format, something like:
        >
        > MANUFACTURER PRODUCT {MODEL} - TYPE OF REPORT
        >
        > i.e.,
        >
        > Leatherman Squirt P4 - Initial Report
        >
        > or
        >
        > Granite Gear Virga 3200 - Owner's Review
        >
        > The reason I ask is because I see a lot of inconsistency. Some list manufacturer and product, some just have the product, and others only have model (i.e., P4 - Initial report). There are even a couple that don't have the type of report. From my perspective, this could be a bit confusing to someone not familiar with the site to miss something that they are looking for.

        Agreed. After playing with getting the new search page working over the last
        few days, I feel there is even more need for more information in the header.

        Granite Gear Virga 3200 Backpack - Owner Review

        would be the preferred method. I did a search on backpack and got few hits
        on actual backpacks. Almost all the reports limited their references to
        "packs", which is what we always call them when we are speaking about them,
        but when searching, we would almost always type in "backpack".

        More is better.

        > I know it is a bit late to chime in, but perhaps one idea to help would be to add another tier to the folders. After the category, say "backpacks", have a list of manufacturers, then specific products. I know, I know...., can of worms...

        This part actually belongs on the BGTWeb list. We aren't going to add
        another level to break it down by manufacturers, that would be requiring too
        many clicks, we have too many now.

        It would also be adding another layer of folder that would make it that much
        less likely that we would get our reports indexed in the search engines.
        Right now we only have 2 reports indexed, and I have no desire to make it
        harder for the search engines to find the reports, which will make it harder
        for the end user to find us.

        We will be adding a search by manufacturer at some point, though you could
        even do that now with the search feature if you wished.

        Dave