Magallen's MapSend Product

  • Andrew Priest
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2002
      Hi

      I had a bit of a look in the shop today at Magallen's product, MapSend
      <<http://www.magellan.com.au/accessories/accessory_display.htm?part_number=GPSMAGREC337>.
      While I am particularly interested in the Australian state based CD-ROM, I
      am interested to hear from anyone who has used the product as a CD tool
      (rather than downloading to GPS).

      My thoughts where to use it for producing "how to get there" mud-maps and
      handout maps for walks I lead for Perth Bushwalkers Club as well as a
      reasonable map of country WA.

      My current practice is to photocopy the section I want, mark in the planned
      walk and photocopy. And with the "how to get there" maps, to just hand draw
      them.

      MapSend would make this process easier and allow me to produce colour maps.

      Thoughts?

      Regards
      Andrew Priest
      --
      Aushiker - Hiking in Western Australia - http://aushiker.com

      Group Monitor: BackpackGearTest - http://www.backpackgeartest.org
    • contrasalamander <contrasalamander@yahoo
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 24, 2003
        As an owner of a meridian and mapsend Topo for the US, I can say its pretty much junk. It works well on the GPS, but for use as a primary mapping software its not particularly good. The maps are no where near as detailed as USGS maps (this may mean nothing to you). If I were you, I'd look into getting third party mapping software, such as OziExplorer, which I think can handle data from australian maps. Its more complicated than mapsend, but much more powerful for generating your own maps.