Application to test the Black Diamond MegaLight

  • Josh Dunning
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2002
      Application to test the Black Diamond MegaLight

      Personal biographical information:

      Name: Josh Dunning
      Age: 26
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5'10"
      Weight: 185
      Email: jdunning@...
      Locale: Northern Connecticut
      Date: 9/30/02

      Backpacking background:

      I've been spending as much time outdoors as possible for as long as I
      can remember. I tend to gravitate towards all manner of outdoor
      recreation with hiking, camping, backpacking, and mountain biking
      topping off the list. I've been camping all my life, summer vacation, as
      a kid, was a week's worth of camping at the beach. Friends of my
      parents used to take us hiking in the mountains with an occasional
      overnight trip. Since then I've been hooked. I'll hike or camp in any
      weather, in any season. That can range from 10 below zero in the snow to
      100 plus heat. That's the beauty of living in New England. I also have a
      gear addiction. I need gear. All kinds, any kind. With that type of
      "problem" it's sometimes difficult to keep my pack weight low. Over the
      past year or so I've been slowly trying to lighten my load with new
      forms of shelters, smaller, lighter, equipment, and trying not to fill
      my existing 5,000 CI pack to the limits! Also, with the age of my
      current pack getting up there, I've been looking for a newer, lighter
      weight version.

      Field information:
      New England terrain includes mountains up to 6,000 feet, as well as the
      subsequent valleys. Weather conditions include heat, sometimes hitting
      triple digits, cold back down to freezing in some parts.

      I'm interested in testing this shelter as it seems to be catering towards
      the lightweight crowd, and that's the direction I've been heading. I think
      the floorless design will work well here in New England in the cool fall and
      spring months, and a floor will add versatility to use in the winter months.
      I'd like to test it using my Bibler Winter bivy instead of a standard tarp
      system, and the MegaLight will fit into my Granite Gear Virga better than my
      usual 2- man tent.

      Having never used this type of shelter, I'll be looking for ease of use,
      set-up and take down, packing, and traveling. It also looks as if the tent
      can be pitched without the pole, so we'll look into that as well. I'd like
      to test it through the fall and into winter and spring, with weather varying
      from mild to harsh. Hopefully we'll see some rain, snow, sleet, and varying
      degrees of wind.

      Since my camping partner despises my current backpacking tent, backpacking
      will seem much more attractive to both of us. For her, she'll have room to
      sit and stand inside, and I won't have to lug a 10lb 4-man tent into the
      woods!

      Previously written reports:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Knives/Victorinox/Joshua%20Dunning/

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Stoves/Primus%20Alpine%2
      0Mini-Duo/

      I HAVE READ THE BGT SURVIVAL GUIDE, ON 9/30/02, AND WILL COMPLY WITH THE
      REPORT REQUIREMENTS OF CHAPTER 5.

      Currently Testing:

      Black Diamond Ion Headlamp
      Bibler Winter Bivy