FW: [BackpackGearTest] MONITOR REPORT - The Packa

  • Shane Steinkamp
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 18, 2002
      This is the weekly moderator report for the Packa rain garment, as required
      every Wednesday by The BackpackGearTest survival guide v. 0802. Per
      Andrew's request, weekly reporting will continue until Heather Martin's
      return from the Long Trail and uploads her field test.

      Reports are available here:

      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Rain%20Gear/Packa%20Jacket/>

      *** INITIAL REPORT ***

      All initial reports complete.

      *** FIELD TEST REPORT ***

      DUE: Tuesday, August 27, 2002

      Mara Factor - Report complete and uploaded.

      Clifford R. Haynes - Report complete and uploaded.

      Heather Martin - Currently hiking the Long Trail - and she's taken the Packa
      with her. Earliest possible report date for Heather is going to be September
      23, 2002. You can follow her progress here:
      http://www.heathershikinghiatus.netfirms.com/

      Heather will need to note Mr. Hinnant's new webs site:

      http://webpages.charter.net/packa

      *** LONG TERM FIELD TEST REPORT ***

      DUE: Tuesday, December 31, 2002

      *** MONITOR COMMENTS ***

      No comments.

      Thank you,

      Shane Steinkamp
      Packa Test Monitor
    • Shane Steinkamp
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2002
        Yeah, I know it's early. Please see the comment at the
        bottom.

        This is the weekly moderator report for the Packa rain
        garment, as required every Wednesday (except that today is
        Tuesday...) by The BackpackGearTest survival guide v. 0802.
        Per Andrew's request, weekly reporting will continue until
        Heather Martin's reports are complete, since she was granted
        an extension to hike the long trail.

        DUE: Tuesday, August 27, 2002

        Mara Factor - Report complete and uploaded.

        Clifford R. Haynes - Report complete and uploaded.

        Heather Martin - Report submitted for editorial review and
        uploaded. Minor changes recommended.

        Heather, please make a note to modify your initial report as
        well to reflect Mr. Hinnant's new web site:
        http://webpages.charter.net/packa

        If anyone needs help with their HTML, I'll be glad to
        assist.

        *** LONG TERM FIELD TEST REPORT ***

        DUE: Tuesday, December 31, 2002

        *** MONITOR COMMENTS ***

        Looks like another horror-cane is sneaking up on us
        Louisianians. While it doesn't look too bad right now, it
        could look a lot worse in the next 24-48 hours. I don't
        know where I'll be or what I'll be doing, so I would like to
        take this opportunity to beg the indulgences of the
        Moderators if I fail to perform any BGT business in a timely
        manner in the next few days. This is going out early,
        because tomorrow I will probably be boarding up my house and
        wondering why I haven't moved to Nebraska. I'll post a
        'trip report' on my website if anything interesting happens.

        Thank you,

        Shane Steinkamp
        Packa Test Monitor
      • starnescr
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2002
          Yea Yea Yea. Were getting used to these cop out stories.

          Searously. Stay safe. I hear this on will stay more to the west
          (subject to change course of course) but also the rain is usually
          the greatest on the east side of the eye. I'm pretty sure most of
          Costial Lousiana is already waterlogged.

          I know why you haven't already moved to Nabraska. Did you see what
          happened to the Huskers the last 2 weeks.

          --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@t...> wrote:
          > Yeah, I know it's early. Please see the comment at the
          > bottom.

          > *** MONITOR COMMENTS ***
          >
          > Looks like another horror-cane is sneaking up on us
          > Louisianians. While it doesn't look too bad right now, it
          > could look a lot worse in the next 24-48 hours. I don't
          > know where I'll be or what I'll be doing, so I would like to
          > take this opportunity to beg the indulgences of the
          > Moderators if I fail to perform any BGT business in a timely
          > manner in the next few days. This is going out early,
          > because tomorrow I will probably be boarding up my house and
          > wondering why I haven't moved to Nebraska. I'll post a
          > 'trip report' on my website if anything interesting happens.
          >
          > Thank you,
          >
          > Shane Steinkamp
          > Packa Test Monitor
        • Shane Steinkamp
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2002
            > Seriously. Stay safe. I hear this on will stay more to the
            > west (subject to change course of course) but also the rain
            > is usually the greatest on the east side of the eye. I'm
            > pretty sure most of Costal Louisiana is already waterlogged.

            Yes, it is. The common misconception is that if the hurricane doesn't track
            right over you, all you will get is some wind and some rain - but severe
            weather can extend for hundreds of miles out from the eye of the storm.
            With a storm of this magnitude, even though it's relatively small in
            diameter, there are three givens:

            SOMEBODY is going to get hammered, lots of stuff will be destroyed, and a
            dozen or so people will loose their lives.

            > I know why you haven't already moved to Nebraska. Did you see
            > what happened to the Huskers the last 2 weeks.

            My father-in-law is from Nebraska; I can't help but hear about it...

            Shane
          • briansrapier@netscape.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 2, 2002
              If you really like the Gulf Coast climate, but fear for the continual bombardment of tropical weather, may I suggest that you move to SW Florida. The region between Naples and Sarasota hasn't had a direct hit since Donna (1969, I think).

              I guarantee that, if you track hurricanes, any that head for that vicinity will suddenly veer off course and hit Mississippi (sp?) or Louisiana. I lived in Fort Myers for 25 years and never saw anything more than some strong winds.
              --
              "Je suis Marxiste... , tendance Groucho."