Re: [BackpackGearTest] Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone Backpack Initial Report

  • hhloth@msn.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1 8:29 PM
      Hi Michael,

      Long distance hikers do upon occasion stuff their bags to the gills. or at least to the point they can barely manage to draw the cinch cord tight enough to keep a jacket from falling out, in other words not all the way cinched. The extension collar part sort of wobbles around up there for a day or two till the food supply is partially used up.

      To me the maximum volume is what I can get in the pack without it falling out, weather protection is not a factor. I'm fairly sure the volume cited is for a full pack without any strapping or rolling of the extension collar. That is the maximum volume measurement that makes the most sense to me and the one I'd base my purchasing decision on. I would say that Granite Gear is quite close, if not entirely accurate, with their volume specs if the extension collar has a draw cord.

      Helen

      Granite Gear states that the volume capacity of the Ozone is 3,800 to 4,000 cubic inches (62.27-65.55 liters). The literature is not clear whether the volume measurement includes the extension sleeve and/or the two external stretch pockets. Volume claims by pack manufacturers is, in my humble opinion, akin to temperature ratings by sleeping bag manufacturers. It has been my experience that the claims by the manufacturer are simply a guide by which I can determine whether this particular piece of equipment is "in the ball park" for my specific needs. If all my necessary gear fits in the pack or I stay warm in the sleeping bag in the temperature range I expected to use the bag in, that is what is important to me. However, since I am officially reporting on my testing of the Ozone and Granite Gear's claims related to this pack, I will attempt to provide additional information on the specifications.

      By my measurements, the pack "sack" (excluding the extension sleeve) is roughly twenty-one and one-half inches (21 1/2"/54.6 cm) deep and twelve inches (12"/30.5 cm) in circumference. Thus, my rough calculation gives the main compartment of the Ozone a volume of 2,432 cubic inches (39.85 liters) without the extension sleeve. The extension sleeve is roughly sixteen inches (16"/40.6 cm) deep and twelve inches (12"/30.5 cm) in diameter which amounts to 1810 cubic inches (29.7 liters) of potential additional volume. However, using all of the extension sleeve for storage is not possible given the design and doing so would likely expose the contents of the pack to wet weather. By my estimate about one-half of the extension sleeve can be safely used for additional gear storage or 905 cubic inches (14.8 liters). The rest of the sleeve really needs to be rolled and secured with the two top straps to adequately protect the pack's contents. This will be one of the areas I intend to experiment with in testing the limits of the Ozone's volume capacity and weather resistance. It would be nice if we could check this measurement more scientifically.

    • Michael Wheiler
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 2 9:59 AM
        Thanks for the input, Helen. As a new user of an internal frame pack, this
        extension collar is also new to me. By my measurements, the sleeve extends
        about 18 inches past the top of the pack frame and appears to be very
        unstable if not secured in some fashion. There are straps used to secure
        the extension sleeve to the pack frame but even all full extension, the
        straps will only reach over about one-half of the extension collar. This is
        one of the areas I plan to experiment with during my field trials of the
        pack--especially since I have a really hard time packing less than 45 pounds
        (especially in the winter)!

        I'm sure that Granite Gear's volume specification is accurate and I agree
        that they used all or at least most of the extension collar to come up with
        those numbers. As I said, the numbers really just give me a reference
        point--same as tent capacity or weight and sleeping bag comfort ranges.
        Generally speaking the numbers provided by the manufacturers are close.
        What matters most to me is the actual experience. Does the gear I need to
        take fit in the pack or not? If planning to sleep three people in a tent,
        do we all fit with out having to share too much body warmth? If planning to
        sleep in 20 degree temperatures, will my 10 degree sleeping bag keep me warm
        or will I need three people in a two person tent for added body warmth?
        That is why BGT is so great. It gives us all the opportunity to actually or
        vicariously test all sorts of equipment thus providing us with the practical
        answers to questions about whether a certain piece of gear will actually
        work for us. Thanks again for the information.

        Mike

        > Long distance hikers do upon occasion stuff their bags to the gills. or at
        least to the point they can barely manage to draw the cinch cord tight
        enough to keep a jacket from falling out, in other words not all the way
        cinched. The extension collar part sort of wobbles around up there for a
        day or two till the food supply is partially used up.

        > To me the maximum volume is what I can get in the pack without it falling
        out, weather protection is not a factor. I'm fairly sure the volume cited
        is for a full pack without any strapping or rolling of the extension collar.
        That is the maximum volume measurement that makes the most sense to me and
        the one I'd base my purchasing decision on. I would say that Granite Gear
        is quite close, if not entirely accurate, with their volume specs if the
        extension collar has a draw cord.

        > Helen
      • Helen Hillberg
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2 11:24 AM
          Hi Mike,

          My willingness to pack a bag to the gills and have the top flopping over a bit is probably not typical. You did the right thing, at least for my info, by stating the potential-packing volume of the pack and qualifying it with your perspective.

          I have trouble, too, trying to keep the weight down in winter. I'm willing to risk being a little (ok a lot) light on gear in summer but pack for improbable emergencies in winter. Even reading the book, We Die Alone, has not convinced me that I could begin to manage without all my emergency gear.

          Helen

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 2 4:34 PM
            Hi Mike,

            Thanks for the great initial report on the Granite
            Gear Nimbus Ozone backpack.

            As I read your report I noticed a few areas you might
            care to revisit:

            I believe you need a comma after "slip" in the
            following: "...a packing slip and a Spring 2003
            Dealer Workbook." *

            I believe you overlooked the comma in the following:
            "(3 1/2 lbs./1588 grams)." As a further
            comment on this measure, I believe that metric
            measures are not commonly expressed in units greater
            than 1,000. I believe the convention is to switch to
            the next larger unit--in this case kg.

            I believe you meant "a" in the following:
            "This is <an> concern I will..."

            I believe you meant "are" in the following:
            "Volume claims by pack manufacturers
            <is>,"

            I believe you overlooked the comma in the following:
            "...amounts to 1810 cubic inches..."

            I would recommend that you delete the "in"
            from the following: "...we have become habituated
            <in> to taking with us."

            I believe you should remove the space after
            "comfortably" in the following: "...to
            "comfortably " carry up to forty-five
            pounds..."

            I believe the word you intended to use here is
            "inclement": "...its ability to withstand
            inclimate weather."

            You did not provide metric equivalents for the
            following: "5,500-8,500 foot elevation."

            I believe that you need a comma after
            "stability" in the following: "I will be
            focusing on its flexibility, balance, stability and
            adjustability." *

            You did not provide a metric equivalent for the
            following:"...weighs around 60 pounds
            because..."

            There are no metric equivalents given for any of the
            measures in the Geographical Information section of
            your report.

            * I can't actually keep up with this rule. I still
            prefer to have all elements of a series separated by
            commas regardless of the number of elements in the
            series. However, punctuation continues to evolve (even
            without my approval) and I know that in a series of
            three items the final comma is now considered to be
            optional. Honestly, I didn't look it up to see what
            the current rule is for a series of four or more
            items. Use your own judgment on this point.

            Thanks again for a very informative report,

            John Burnet
            gatemansnametag(at)yahoo(dot)com
            Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone Backpack test monitor

            =====
            "What are the three most essential backpacking items?"

            "Toys, water, and food. Without water and food, you'll die. If you don't bring toys, all you'll have to play with is rocks and sticks."

            -- A. M. Frick

            http://finance.yahoo.com
          • starnescr
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 3 7:59 AM
              Hi Mike

              This is not really an edit. I just had a comment and a question.

              --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Michael Wheiler" <jmwlaw@i...> wrote:
              > GRANITE GEAR NIMBUS OZONE 3800 BACKPACK INITIAL REPORT

              > According to Granite Gear, the Ozone weighs "less than 3 pounds"
              (1361 grams). I took the Ozone to work with me and attempted to
              weigh it on our postal scales. Due to the shape of the pack, I had
              difficulty keeping it and all of its straps balanced on the scales.
              Two different scales kept telling me that the product was "unstable"
              and would not provide me with an accurate weight. I also tried
              weighing the pack in the shipping box with the idea that I could
              then just weigh the box and subtract the two weights to obtain the
              weight of the pack. No such luck. The first scale, a Neopost SE37,
              couldn't handle the combined weight. The second scale couldn't
              provide me with an accurate enough weight of the empty box. At this
              point, I was more than a little frustrated and since the initial
              report is only supposed to provide an approximation of the actual
              weight, I finally gave up, grabbed the UPS scale (a Pelouze Model
              Y10), balanced the pack on it and got a reading of three and one-
              half pounds (3 1/2 lbs./1588 grams). (Insert a big sigh of
              relief.) I'll check the actual weight later at the local post
              office.

              ###Your weight seem to match everyone elces so I would be satisfied
              with what you already have.

              I am very interested in testing the lightweight "waterproof" fabric
              on the Nimbus Ozone and the ultra-lightweight "Rock Solid"
              compression sack system that come with these packs.

              ### Is this a description of the compression system of the main
              (only) pack compartment? I missed the literature that called it
              this. I did see the Rock Solid compression sacks in the 2002 catalog
              but this is a seperate item altogether. I didn't get anything extra
              with the pack.

              Coy boy
            • Andrew Priest
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 3 8:10 AM
                Hi Coy Boy

                Now you got me interested ... wondering if I have missed something with my
                Nimbus Ozone 3800 .... compression sacks?

                Andrew

                --
                Aushiker - Hiking in Western Australia - http://aushiker.com

                Group Monitor: BackpackGearTest - http://www.backpackgeartest.org

              • Michael Wheiler
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 3 8:44 PM
                  Thanks for the edit John. I believe I made all the requested changes.
                  Although I graduate with a minor in English and even taught that subject at
                  a junior high for one year (a long, long time ago), I have not tried to keep
                  up with the changes in proper comma placement. I just keep leaving the last
                  comma out when I have three or more items separated by commas in one
                  sentence. At least that is what I remember from my college days. Anyway, I
                  have made the suggested corrections and reposted the corrected report. Let
                  me know if it looks ok now and I'll get it uploaded to the site. Thanks
                  again.

                  Mike

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 3 8:54 PM
                    Thanks for the response Coy. I just finished reading the other Nimbus
                    reports and I agree with you on the weight issue--I'll not bother the post
                    office.

                    As to the Rock Solid Compression sack, you are right. Mine did not come
                    with one either and I was mistaken in referring to the main compartment in
                    that regard. I'll make that change before uploading to the site. That
                    comment was based upon the initial call for testers in which Granite Gear
                    indicated that each lightweight pack would include "a waterproof stuff sack
                    and an ultra lightweight Rock Solid compression sack." Thanks for catching
                    that mistake.

                    Mike
                    > This is not really an edit. I just had a comment and a question.
                    >

                    > ###Your weight seem to match everyone elces so I would be satisfied
                    > with what you already have.
                    >

                    > I am very interested in testing the lightweight "waterproof" fabric
                    > on the Nimbus Ozone and the ultra-lightweight "Rock Solid"
                    > compression sack system that come with these packs.
                    >
                    > ### Is this a description of the compression system of the main
                    > (only) pack compartment? I missed the literature that called it
                    > this. I did see the Rock Solid compression sacks in the 2002 catalog
                    > but this is a seperate item altogether. I didn't get anything extra
                    > with the pack.
                    >
                    > Coy boy
                  • starnescr
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 3 9:08 PM
                      Good! I guess; At least Andrew and I can rest easy knowing you did
                      not get special treatment. LOL

                      Coy Boy

                      -- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Michael Wheiler" <jmwlaw@i...> wrote:
                      > Thanks for the response Coy. I just finished reading the other
                      Nimbus
                      > reports and I agree with you on the weight issue--I'll not bother
                      the post
                      > office.
                      >
                      > As to the Rock Solid Compression sack, you are right. Mine did
                      not come
                      > with one either and I was mistaken in referring to the main
                      compartment in
                      > that regard. I'll make that change before uploading to the site.
                      That
                      > comment was based upon the initial call for testers in which
                      Granite Gear
                      > indicated that each lightweight pack would include "a waterproof
                      stuff sack
                      > and an ultra lightweight Rock Solid compression sack." Thanks for
                      catching
                      > that mistake.
                      >
                      > Mike
                      Ozone