Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone Backpack Initial Report

  • Michael Wheiler
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2002
      GRANITE GEAR NIMBUS OZONE 3800 BACKPACK INITIAL REPORT
      By Michael Wheiler
      September 1, 2002

      Company:

      Granite Gear
      www.granitegear.com

      Product:

      Nimbus Ozone 3800 Ultra-light Backpack
      Pre-production Series New For Spring 2003
      Manufacture date: 2002
      Date Shipped by UPS: August 19, 2002
      Date Received: August 25, 2002

      Personal Data:

      Michael Wheiler
      Idaho Falls, Idaho
      Male
      Age: 46 years old
      Height: 5'10" (177.8 cm)
      Weight: 175 pounds (79.4 kg)
      Torso length: 19 3/4" (50.2 cm)
      Chest measurement: 40" (101.6 cm)
      Hip measurement: 34" (86.4 cm)
      email: jmwlaw@...

      Initial Report:

      I returned from a three day trip with my family to Redfish Lake on August 25th to find a large, plain brown box on my porch which had been delivered by UPS. Inside the undamaged box was the Nimbus Ozone 3800. Although the color scheme (maple and black) is not a combination I would have originally selected, the colors compliment each other very well and I really quite like the looks of the pack. The Ozone arrived undamaged with all of its components. Inside the box were also two Granite Gear Cirrus, Stratus, Nimbus backpack owner's manuals (an extra for fire starter?), a 2002 Granite Gear catalog, a packing slip and a Spring 2003 Dealer Workbook.

      The Ozone looked identical to the picture I had previously seen. All of the straps were snugged up tightly which gave the appearance that the Ozone was much smaller than I had anticipated. However, after loosening the straps, the pack expanded in size. Upon opening the pack, I was a little surprised by the lack of a typical top lid with zipper for keeping out the elements. Instead, I found an extremely long extension sleeve with a draw string closure at the top. There is no explanation in the owner's manual or the other literature provided regarding the extra long extension sleeve. With the exception of the minimally descriptive information contained in the 2003 Dealer Workbook, there was no information specific to the Nimbus Ozone. I assume the lack of specific literature is due to the fact that this is a pre-production model and I would anticipate that specific owner's manuals will be included with production models.

      I immediately browsed through the owner's manual (18 pages) which consists mostly of instructions for custom fitting the pack. The Ozone came with a regular/medium (18-22"/45.7-55.9 cm) Nimbus frame sheet, medium (34-40"/86.4-101.6 cm) trim shoulder straps and a medium (30-34"/76.2-86.4 cm) men's Nimbus Light hip belt. The hip belt appears to be sufficiently padded as do the shoulder straps. Although the owner's manual indicated that the trim shoulder straps typically fit women better, I also noted that the trim shoulder straps came standard with the Nimbus system unless otherwise requested (bottom of page 6). There are many diagrams in the owner's manual and even this first time owner of an internal frame pack was able to follow the instructions for taking the pack apart and adjusting the frame sheet and shoulder straps. The Nimbus Ozone came configured to fit a 20" /50.8 cm torso with the shoulder straps attached to grommet number two (regular). This set-up should have been perfect for my build. However, after trying on the pack, even after significantly adjusting the various lifter and stabilizer straps, the pack did not fit comfortably. I took the Ozone apart a second time and moved the torso setting to 21" (53.3 cm) and the shoulder straps to the number three grommet (longer). After making these adjustments, the Ozone fit much more comfortably with little to no adjustment of the lifter and stabilizer straps.

      According to Granite Gear, the Ozone weighs "less than 3 pounds" (1361 grams). I took the Ozone to work with me and attempted to weigh it on our postal scales. Due to the shape of the pack, I had difficulty keeping it and all of its straps balanced on the scales. Two different scales kept telling me that the product was "unstable" and would not provide me with an accurate weight. I also tried weighing the pack in the shipping box with the idea that I could then just weigh the box and subtract the two weights to obtain the weight of the pack. No such luck. The first scale, a Neopost SE37, couldn't handle the combined weight. The second scale couldn't provide me with an accurate enough weight of the empty box. At this point, I was more than a little frustrated and since the initial report is only supposed to provide an approximation of the actual weight, I finally gave up, grabbed the UPS scale (a Pelouze Model Y10), balanced the pack on it and got a reading of three and one-half pounds (3 1/2 lbs./1588 grams). (Insert a big sigh of relief.) I'll check the actual weight later at the local post office.

      During the process of playing with and adjusting the various straps on the Ozone, I noticed that the external compression straps did not have the ends folded over and sewn to prevent them from pulling through the ladderlocks. Other straps on the pack were folded and sewn. While working with the Ozone and moving it from room to room while empty, I also noticed that the compression straps pulled through the ladderlocks if they were not pulled tight before I started to move it around. This is an concern I will want to pay attention to on the trail.

      Granite Gear states that the volume capacity of the Ozone is 3,800 to 4,000 cubic inches (62.27-65.55 liters). The literature is not clear whether the volume measurement includes the extension sleeve and/or the two external stretch pockets. Volume claims by pack manufacturers is, in my humble opinion, akin to temperature ratings by sleeping bag manufacturers. It has been my experience that the claims by the manufacturer are simply a guide by which I can determine whether this particular piece of equipment is "in the ball park" for my specific needs. If all my necessary gear fits in the pack or I stay warm in the sleeping bag in the temperature range I expected to use the bag in, that is what is important to me. However, since I am officially reporting on my testing of the Ozone and Granite Gear's claims related to this pack, I will attempt to provide additional information on the specifications.

      By my measurements, the pack "sack" (excluding the extension sleeve) is roughly twenty-one and one-half inches (21 1/2"/54.6 cm) deep and twelve inches (12"/30.5 cm) in circumference. Thus, my rough calculation gives the main compartment of the Ozone a volume of 2,432 cubic inches (39.85 liters) without the extension sleeve. The extension sleeve is roughly sixteen inches (16"/40.6 cm) deep and twelve inches (12"/30.5 cm) in diameter which amounts to 1810 cubic inches (29.7 liters) of potential additional volume. However, using all of the extension sleeve for storage is not possible given the design and doing so would likely expose the contents of the pack to wet weather. By my estimate about one-half of the extension sleeve can be safely used for additional gear storage or 905 cubic inches (14.8 liters). The rest of the sleeve really needs to be rolled and secured with the two top straps to adequately protect the pack's contents. This will be one of the areas I intend to experiment with in testing the limits of the Ozone's volume capacity and weather resistance. It would be nice if we could check this measurement more scientifically.

      Although the Ozone is classified as an "ultra-light" pack, it is designed for those of us who are trying to make the transition to a lighter backpacking style but just can't quite give up some of the equipment or food we have become habituated in to taking with us. The Ozone is designed with a full Nimbus suspension system which includes a 3D molded composite Tepex (a "strong glass fiber") frame. According to Granite Gear, the Ozone will allow backpackers to "comfortably " carry up to forty-five pounds (45 lbs./20.4 kg). I intend to push the envelope on this particular claim pertaining to the Ozone. Although I have not yet properly packed the Ozone and carried any real weight, I did throw some items in the pack and carried it around the house just to get a good feel for the fit.

      My initial impressions of the Ozone are as follows:
      a.. It appears to be will built and sturdy.
      b.. Without significant testing yet, it fits comfortably and appears to have a well designed suspension system with adequate adjustability. The pack is easy to fine tune for an individual fit.
      c.. It weighs substantially less than my external frame pack.
      d.. In light of the fact that there are no real external pockets and just one main compartment, I am concerned about the accessibility of gear.
      e.. I have questions about the volume capacity of the Ozone and with a simple draw string closure I am concerned about its ability to withstand inclimate weather.
      Field Testing Strategy:

      I plan to use the Nimbus Ozone when I climb Table Rock Mountain near the Grand Tetons on September 21. I will likely carry a light load as I do not intend to stay overnight on Table Rock but it is a fourteen mile round trip with some difficult climbing that will require more flexibility and maneuverability than my old external frame pack. I am also going to see if I can rig a water bladder inside the Ozone for this hike. On September 13-16, I will be camping at a base camp and hiking around Hawley Creek near Leadore, Idaho. In October, I plan to hike into Pack Saddle Lake with my scouts for an over-night trip. In November we will be camping along the Snake River near Idaho Falls and probably won't do much hiking (we assist with a food drive the next morning). In December we will be hiking into a lava tube in the desert for an overnight/snow shoe hike of about two miles. In January we are planning an overnight cross-country skiing trip near Kelley Canyon. In February of 2003 we will be camping/snow shoeing in the deep snow near Island Park. At that time we usually build snow shelters not too far from the parking lot. Most all of these outings, will be in very mountainous terrain--5,500-8,500 foot elevation. Whether we are just car camping or hiking, I always take and use a backpack so that my gear is close at hand and organized. As such, the pack will receive year round testing in some pretty tough environments--especially the deep freeze conditions we experience on many of our winter outings. It will get drug through the snow, have some or all of its parts frozen, occasionally be sat on or leaned against during rest breaks (sort of a mountain lounge chair) and, knowing me, despite my best intentions, I will probably test its weight carrying capabilities. I also expect (given the repairs done on my external frame pack) that I will be closely examining the durability of the "silicone-coated 70-denier rip-stop fabric."

      I am a relative new comer to internal frame pack use. My external pack has been pretty dependable. Also, I never really go off trail and therefore have never really felt the need for an internal frame pack. I will be looking closely at how this internal frame pack compares to the external frame. I will be focusing on its flexibility, balance, stability and adjustability. I am concerned about the fact that internal frame packs tend to ride closer to the user's back and, therefore, don't allow for as much ventilation over the back. Likewise, excluding the two elastic, non-closeable outside pockets, I am concerned about the fact that there is only one compartment for gear storage. This set-up sort of reminds me of a "black hole"--gear goes in and never comes out without great difficulty. I suspect that, to some degree, this will require some change in the way I normally place gear into my pack. I am very interested in testing the lightweight "waterproof" fabric on the Nimbus Ozone and the ultra-lightweight "Rock Solid" compression sack system that come with these packs.

      Additional Personal Biographical Information:

      I have had more than 35 years of outdoor experience. I've been car camping/hiking/backpacking since my early teens; mostly weekend trips but some week long trips. I try to take a week long trip at least once a year. I am currently a scoutmaster over 12-14 year old Boy Scouts. We camp/hike every month regardless of the weather. I also spend time camping with my family--more in the summer and almost never in the winter but I am hoping to change my daughters' perspective on winter camping this year.

      Backpacking Style:

      I have been a "traditional" backpacker. I am currently using an old external frame backpack which has seen many miles. My pack usually weighs around 60 pounds because if I think I might ever possibly need something, I pack it. I am in a transition stage with regard to my backpacking style. Ever since joining BackpackGearTest I have been learning about the lightweight and ultra-lightweight backpacking styles. As a result, I am really trying to cut down on my total pack weight. On my last backpack trip along the Warm River near Ashton, Idaho, I was able to get the weight down to around 45 pounds (20.4 kg) and wondered why it took me so long to figure out that I didn't need to carry everything I owned! I would like to get my total pack weight down to between 30-40 pounds (13.6-18.1 kg).

      Geographic Information:

      Most of my camping occurs in the southeastern Idaho area but spills over into western Wyoming (Grand Teton National Park) and western Montana. The elevations of the areas I frequent generally range from 6,000 to 8,000 feet. The weather in southeastern Idaho is fairly typical of a high desert plain. Winters are usually cold and snow depths vary but are generally over 10-12 feet in most of the areas where we camp and snowshoe. Springs can be moderately wet and cold. Summers are typically dry and warm (80-upper 90 degrees though this year we have seen temperatures over 100) with occasional thunderstorms. Fall weather is actually the best--crisp mornings, warm afternoons and cool evenings with little moisture.

      Thanks to Granite Gear and BGT for the opportunity to test the Ozone.

      Mike

    • hhloth@msn.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2002
        Hi Michael,

        Long distance hikers do upon occasion stuff their bags to the gills. or at least to the point they can barely manage to draw the cinch cord tight enough to keep a jacket from falling out, in other words not all the way cinched. The extension collar part sort of wobbles around up there for a day or two till the food supply is partially used up.

        To me the maximum volume is what I can get in the pack without it falling out, weather protection is not a factor. I'm fairly sure the volume cited is for a full pack without any strapping or rolling of the extension collar. That is the maximum volume measurement that makes the most sense to me and the one I'd base my purchasing decision on. I would say that Granite Gear is quite close, if not entirely accurate, with their volume specs if the extension collar has a draw cord.

        Helen

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2002
          Thanks for the input, Helen. As a new user of an internal frame pack, this
          extension collar is also new to me. By my measurements, the sleeve extends
          about 18 inches past the top of the pack frame and appears to be very
          unstable if not secured in some fashion. There are straps used to secure
          the extension sleeve to the pack frame but even all full extension, the
          straps will only reach over about one-half of the extension collar. This is
          one of the areas I plan to experiment with during my field trials of the
          pack--especially since I have a really hard time packing less than 45 pounds
          (especially in the winter)!

          I'm sure that Granite Gear's volume specification is accurate and I agree
          that they used all or at least most of the extension collar to come up with
          those numbers. As I said, the numbers really just give me a reference
          point--same as tent capacity or weight and sleeping bag comfort ranges.
          Generally speaking the numbers provided by the manufacturers are close.
          What matters most to me is the actual experience. Does the gear I need to
          take fit in the pack or not? If planning to sleep three people in a tent,
          do we all fit with out having to share too much body warmth? If planning to
          sleep in 20 degree temperatures, will my 10 degree sleeping bag keep me warm
          or will I need three people in a two person tent for added body warmth?
          That is why BGT is so great. It gives us all the opportunity to actually or
          vicariously test all sorts of equipment thus providing us with the practical
          answers to questions about whether a certain piece of gear will actually
          work for us. Thanks again for the information.

          Mike

          > Long distance hikers do upon occasion stuff their bags to the gills. or at
          least to the point they can barely manage to draw the cinch cord tight
          enough to keep a jacket from falling out, in other words not all the way
          cinched. The extension collar part sort of wobbles around up there for a
          day or two till the food supply is partially used up.

          > To me the maximum volume is what I can get in the pack without it falling
          out, weather protection is not a factor. I'm fairly sure the volume cited
          is for a full pack without any strapping or rolling of the extension collar.
          That is the maximum volume measurement that makes the most sense to me and
          the one I'd base my purchasing decision on. I would say that Granite Gear
          is quite close, if not entirely accurate, with their volume specs if the
          extension collar has a draw cord.

          > Helen
        • Helen Hillberg
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 2, 2002
            Hi Mike,

            My willingness to pack a bag to the gills and have the top flopping over a bit is probably not typical. You did the right thing, at least for my info, by stating the potential-packing volume of the pack and qualifying it with your perspective.

            I have trouble, too, trying to keep the weight down in winter. I'm willing to risk being a little (ok a lot) light on gear in summer but pack for improbable emergencies in winter. Even reading the book, We Die Alone, has not convinced me that I could begin to manage without all my emergency gear.

            Helen

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 2, 2002
              Hi Mike,

              Thanks for the great initial report on the Granite
              Gear Nimbus Ozone backpack.

              As I read your report I noticed a few areas you might
              care to revisit:

              I believe you need a comma after "slip" in the
              following: "...a packing slip and a Spring 2003
              Dealer Workbook." *

              I believe you overlooked the comma in the following:
              "(3 1/2 lbs./1588 grams)." As a further
              comment on this measure, I believe that metric
              measures are not commonly expressed in units greater
              than 1,000. I believe the convention is to switch to
              the next larger unit--in this case kg.

              I believe you meant "a" in the following:
              "This is <an> concern I will..."

              I believe you meant "are" in the following:
              "Volume claims by pack manufacturers
              <is>,"

              I believe you overlooked the comma in the following:
              "...amounts to 1810 cubic inches..."

              I would recommend that you delete the "in"
              from the following: "...we have become habituated
              <in> to taking with us."

              I believe you should remove the space after
              "comfortably" in the following: "...to
              "comfortably " carry up to forty-five
              pounds..."

              I believe the word you intended to use here is
              "inclement": "...its ability to withstand
              inclimate weather."

              You did not provide metric equivalents for the
              following: "5,500-8,500 foot elevation."

              I believe that you need a comma after
              "stability" in the following: "I will be
              focusing on its flexibility, balance, stability and
              adjustability." *

              You did not provide a metric equivalent for the
              following:"...weighs around 60 pounds
              because..."

              There are no metric equivalents given for any of the
              measures in the Geographical Information section of
              your report.

              * I can't actually keep up with this rule. I still
              prefer to have all elements of a series separated by
              commas regardless of the number of elements in the
              series. However, punctuation continues to evolve (even
              without my approval) and I know that in a series of
              three items the final comma is now considered to be
              optional. Honestly, I didn't look it up to see what
              the current rule is for a series of four or more
              items. Use your own judgment on this point.

              Thanks again for a very informative report,

              John Burnet
              gatemansnametag(at)yahoo(dot)com
              Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone Backpack test monitor

              =====
              "What are the three most essential backpacking items?"

              "Toys, water, and food. Without water and food, you'll die. If you don't bring toys, all you'll have to play with is rocks and sticks."

              -- A. M. Frick

              http://finance.yahoo.com
            • starnescr
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 3, 2002
                Hi Mike

                This is not really an edit. I just had a comment and a question.

                --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Michael Wheiler" <jmwlaw@i...> wrote:
                > GRANITE GEAR NIMBUS OZONE 3800 BACKPACK INITIAL REPORT

                > According to Granite Gear, the Ozone weighs "less than 3 pounds"
                (1361 grams). I took the Ozone to work with me and attempted to
                weigh it on our postal scales. Due to the shape of the pack, I had
                difficulty keeping it and all of its straps balanced on the scales.
                Two different scales kept telling me that the product was "unstable"
                and would not provide me with an accurate weight. I also tried
                weighing the pack in the shipping box with the idea that I could
                then just weigh the box and subtract the two weights to obtain the
                weight of the pack. No such luck. The first scale, a Neopost SE37,
                couldn't handle the combined weight. The second scale couldn't
                provide me with an accurate enough weight of the empty box. At this
                point, I was more than a little frustrated and since the initial
                report is only supposed to provide an approximation of the actual
                weight, I finally gave up, grabbed the UPS scale (a Pelouze Model
                Y10), balanced the pack on it and got a reading of three and one-
                half pounds (3 1/2 lbs./1588 grams). (Insert a big sigh of
                relief.) I'll check the actual weight later at the local post
                office.

                ###Your weight seem to match everyone elces so I would be satisfied
                with what you already have.

                I am very interested in testing the lightweight "waterproof" fabric
                on the Nimbus Ozone and the ultra-lightweight "Rock Solid"
                compression sack system that come with these packs.

                ### Is this a description of the compression system of the main
                (only) pack compartment? I missed the literature that called it
                this. I did see the Rock Solid compression sacks in the 2002 catalog
                but this is a seperate item altogether. I didn't get anything extra
                with the pack.

                Coy boy
              • Andrew Priest
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 3, 2002
                  Hi Coy Boy

                  Now you got me interested ... wondering if I have missed something with my
                  Nimbus Ozone 3800 .... compression sacks?

                  Andrew

                  --
                  Aushiker - Hiking in Western Australia - http://aushiker.com

                  Group Monitor: BackpackGearTest - http://www.backpackgeartest.org

                • Michael Wheiler
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 3, 2002
                    Thanks for the edit John. I believe I made all the requested changes.
                    Although I graduate with a minor in English and even taught that subject at
                    a junior high for one year (a long, long time ago), I have not tried to keep
                    up with the changes in proper comma placement. I just keep leaving the last
                    comma out when I have three or more items separated by commas in one
                    sentence. At least that is what I remember from my college days. Anyway, I
                    have made the suggested corrections and reposted the corrected report. Let
                    me know if it looks ok now and I'll get it uploaded to the site. Thanks
                    again.

                    Mike

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 3, 2002
                      Thanks for the response Coy. I just finished reading the other Nimbus
                      reports and I agree with you on the weight issue--I'll not bother the post
                      office.

                      As to the Rock Solid Compression sack, you are right. Mine did not come
                      with one either and I was mistaken in referring to the main compartment in
                      that regard. I'll make that change before uploading to the site. That
                      comment was based upon the initial call for testers in which Granite Gear
                      indicated that each lightweight pack would include "a waterproof stuff sack
                      and an ultra lightweight Rock Solid compression sack." Thanks for catching
                      that mistake.

                      Mike
                      > This is not really an edit. I just had a comment and a question.
                      >

                      > ###Your weight seem to match everyone elces so I would be satisfied
                      > with what you already have.
                      >

                      > I am very interested in testing the lightweight "waterproof" fabric
                      > on the Nimbus Ozone and the ultra-lightweight "Rock Solid"
                      > compression sack system that come with these packs.
                      >
                      > ### Is this a description of the compression system of the main
                      > (only) pack compartment? I missed the literature that called it
                      > this. I did see the Rock Solid compression sacks in the 2002 catalog
                      > but this is a seperate item altogether. I didn't get anything extra
                      > with the pack.
                      >
                      > Coy boy
                    • starnescr
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 3, 2002
                        Good! I guess; At least Andrew and I can rest easy knowing you did
                        not get special treatment. LOL

                        Coy Boy

                        -- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Michael Wheiler" <jmwlaw@i...> wrote:
                        > Thanks for the response Coy. I just finished reading the other
                        Nimbus
                        > reports and I agree with you on the weight issue--I'll not bother
                        the post
                        > office.
                        >
                        > As to the Rock Solid Compression sack, you are right. Mine did
                        not come
                        > with one either and I was mistaken in referring to the main
                        compartment in
                        > that regard. I'll make that change before uploading to the site.
                        That
                        > comment was based upon the initial call for testers in which
                        Granite Gear
                        > indicated that each lightweight pack would include "a waterproof
                        stuff sack
                        > and an ultra lightweight Rock Solid compression sack." Thanks for
                        catching
                        > that mistake.
                        >
                        > Mike
                        Ozone