Re: Hammocks

  • wldrns1
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2002
      Am hiking above and camping at the 9300 ft. level this coming
      weekend. It could be cold or we could have an assortment of weather
      at that altitude. I have tarped for three years and thought this
      might just work with the Hammock.I think I would be warmer
      directly on the ground and with a pad.

      I would really like to hear from anyone who has done this, you could
      email me off line if you like.
      Cheers,

      Marge Prothman

      Marge, Last weekend a buddy and I hiked and climbed in the San Juans
      mountains of SW Colorado. We both used HH Ultralite A Syms and we
      both used the Mt. Washington pad. We were camped at about 11,500. Not
      sure what the lows were, but water from the spring nearby was frozen
      in the mornings, it probably got to 30 degrees or so. I carried my
      heavy sleeping bag (TNF Cats Meow 20 degree bag...3.3 oz). I was very
      warm sleeping in the HH with the Mt. Washington pad in my Cats Meow
      bag. I did have a hard time staying on the 20 inch wide pad, however,
      even parts of me off of the pad stayed warm. Nights were clear with
      wind ranging from calm to 15 or 20 mph or so. This was my first time
      with the HH in the mountains and my first time with the Mt.
      Washington pad. No Problems, no complaints, I would do it again. FWIW
      we hiked 4 14ers in 3 days and I used my Montrail Vitesse trail
      runners. These performed great in the very rocky and rough talus and
      scree in the Uncompagrhe range. If you have any other questions
      please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck, Robert
    • Marge Prothman
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 8, 2002
        Robert and others,
        who gave me great advice got using the Hammock in cold weather................

        I am now home from a three day hike. Quick summary: On Friday morning we went in at 9,200 ft.
        climbed up and over 10,400 ft. and up and down and back up to 9,500 ft. where we camped for the night by Born lake in the White Cloud Mountains.

        It was in the 40 degree temps during the day. At 7 p.m. the temp had dropped to 33 degrees and we were all in our respective beds (me in my hammock). It rained so hard, I had not experienced
        that hard of rain for a long, long time. I seemed fine in the hammock, parts of me were a
        little cold and parts of me were warm. At about 2 a.m. the rain seemed to have stopped but in reality it had changed to wet snow. I got up at 5.30 a.m. and promptly stepped into a puddle
        of water right where I had left my shoes. (will know better the next time). I shook all the
        snow of the tarp and crawled back in until eight a.m.

        Next we went for a morning hike and by the time we got back at noon, the temps had dropped to
        30 degrees and it felt like more fridged air was coming in, it was also snowing lightly. So
        we did the prudent thing and packed up and got out of there. We dropped down 4,000 ft. to a
        cabin for the night and the temperature this morning at the cabin was 29 degrees. So we did the
        right thing.

        I really like the hammock and after only four times sleeping in it, I think I am hooked.

        Cheers, Marge (the old gal)

        -

      • JimSabis@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 9, 2002
          In a message dated 9/8/02 10:16:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          marge@... writes:

          > I really like the hammock and after only four times sleeping in it, I think
          > I am hooked.

          Marge - What pad/insulation combo did you end up using? What parts were cold
          - if you are willing to share this info ; )

          Thanks - JIm S.

        • Marge Prothman
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 9, 2002
            Hi Jim,
            I had a reflective Windshield Screen and my Mt. Washington Pad. I used a silk
            liner in my WM bag which is good to 20 degrees. I used the bag as a quilt with a
            foot pocket.
            I wore a Capilene liteweight top plus a Capilene Expedition underwear top and
            had my GoLite Bark Jacket on. I was never cold on top. I wore the Capilene
            underwear bottoms and lite socks. I should have had more clothes on the bottom,
            and perhaps some down booties, but I became complacent. I wanted in the hammock before I
            got soaked in the rain.
            I did not have my pads sewn or glued together. If I were to do this again then I would
            indeed copy Coy Boys pad, with the reflective, the foam and the fleece and made wide
            to go up the sides of the hammock, all in one pad, and I would put a slit in the pad for
            the opening.

            Hope that helps..

            Marge
            p.s. just cannot believe it is not even mid-September and we are having such cold
            weather. It was 29 degrees at my house this morning.

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 9, 2002
              In a message dated 9/9/02 11:42:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
              marge@... writes:

              > I had a reflective Windshield Screen and my Mt. Washington Pad. I used a
              > silk
              > liner in my WM bag which is good to 20 degrees. I used the bag as a quilt
              > with a
              > foot pocket.
              > I wore a Capilene liteweight top plus a Capilene Expedition underwear top
              > and
              > had my GoLite Bark Jacket on. I was never cold on top. I wore the Capilene
              > underwear bottoms and lite socks. I should have had more clothes on the
              > bottom,
              > and perhaps some down booties, but I became complacent. I wanted in the
              > hammock before I
              > got soaked in the rain.
              > I did not have my pads sewn or glued together. If I were to do this again
              > then I would
              > indeed copy Coy Boys pad, with the reflective, the foam and the fleece and
              > made wide
              > to go up the sides of the hammock, all in one pad, and I would put a slit
              > in the pad for
              > the opening.
              >
              > Hope that helps..
              >
              > Marge
              > p.s. just cannot believe it is not even mid-September and we are having
              > such cold
              > weather. It was 29 degrees at my house this morning.

              Marge - Thanks for the info.

              We are experiencing the same here. We went from a 30 day record setting heat
              wave to record setting lows. It seemed each of my backpacking trips this
              summer coincided with an unseasonal cold front!

              Jim S.