From a fellow "lurker"

  • Bill Wrigley
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2002
      Hi Wendy and Everyone,
      Hopefully this will be of help:

      We have challenged the boys in our scout troop to plan recipes for backpacking. One pot meals are a plus, and all meals need to be cooked on backpacking stoves (most parks don't allow wood gathering, and we don't want to pack in logs).

      The guidelines are:

      Each recipe feeds 8 hungry boys. including second servings, for $3.00 per person, or less, and keeps weight to a minimum (MRE's are both heavy and expensive. Freeze dried meals are expensive, and seem to leave the boys still hungry)

      Only commercially packaged food (sanitary. yeah, they can dry their own jerky/meat/veggies etc, but its hard enough to get boys to wash their hands when they are supervised on an outing, who knows what they do at home when we're not looking?)

      Easy to obtain for the boys (foods from the supermarket and Asian market. one exception might be an adult getting powered eggs from the internet or a backpacking store for them)

      No Glass containers (due to weight and breakage)

      No cans (due to weight)

      No coolers (no foods that need to be kept refrigerated, but foods that say "refrigerate after opening" are ok if they are used all at once for one meal).

      We have posted their resulting recipes so far on our Troop's recipe page (note: to protect our youth, only the boys and their parents are allowed to join as members, however, please feel free to view the site). The link below will take you to our recipe index page. Find a recipe title you like, and click on the little magnifying glass icon next to it.
      http://groups.msn.com/troop73alameda/troop73scamprecipies.msnw
      Enjoy!
      Bill

      Message: 15
      Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 21:57:29 EDT
      From: wsm311@...
      Subject: backpacking food....

      I'm just an ocasional lurker on this list. My hiking days are over due to my
      falling apart old body ;-) I mostly live vicariously through my kid who now
      seems to own the body that was once mine ;-)

      I see that you talk about food prep stuff and food cooking stuff, but do you
      ever test or talk about food? I have become obsessed with putting together a
      great backpacking food extravaganza for my daughter.

      It's VERY handy that my darling daughter bought me a Tilia Food Saver
      Professional 2 for Mother's Day ;-) She also gave me her credit card and use
      of up to $3000 to buy food for her 7 months total of hiking the Long and
      Appalachian Trails. To me, this is backpacker heaven ;-)

      I love to plan backpacking food!!! Back in the old days, this was my favorite
      job ;-)

      For backpacking meal inspiration, I've been reading through these books
      daily....

      Lip Smackin' Backpackin'
      Trail Food
      The Portable Baker
      Simple Foods for the Pack
      The Well-Fed Backpacker
      The Hungry Hikers Book of Good Cooking
      The Appalachian Trail Food Planner
      Backcountry Cooking
      Wilderness Cuisine
      NOLS Cookery
      The Camper's Companion

      got any favorite food books I should have included here?

      Then I started ordering food....

      http://www.suttonsbaytrading.com

      for maple sugar
      http://www.com-site.com/cedarvale/products2.html

      jerky bits
      http://www.vermonter.com/beefjerky/order.htm

      Mexican food and drink
      http://www.mexgrocer.com/

      honey seasame candy, dried fruit, honey stix
      http://www.glorybee.com/

      Thai food
      http://importfood.com/
      http://www.templeofthai.com/

      MRE jam, cocoa, spiced cider mix
      http://www.longlifefood.com/

      incredibly good, cheap stuff in bulk
      http://www.bulkfoods.com

      freeze dried chicken, chocolate lurps
      www.mountainhouse.com/

      exotic foods
      http://www.quickspice.com

      and....best of all.....
      http://waltonfeed.com/
      this place has everything..... I spent over $1000 here!

      You should see our house!!! ;-) ;-) Once all this food came UPS, our house
      looked sort of like a food warehouse that blew up ;-) I have been vacuum
      packing food for weeks now and have lots more to go.

      I left Heather in Massachusetts on Wednesday, so it has only been 4 days of
      trail food. She says she is the envy of every shelter ;-) So far, she seems
      to be enjoying my concoctions ;-) Let me know if food talk goes on here. Any
      tips greatly appreciated!

      Wendy (wsm311@...)
      Peace and Carrots Farm
      Vermont
      http://www.homestead.com/peaceandcarrots/
      http://www.heathershikinghiatus.netfirms.com/

      ________________________________________________________________________Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com

    • wsm311@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2002
        > Hi Wendy and Everyone,
        > Hopefully this will be of help

        Thanks for the link ;-) I have a HUGE notebook full of recipes I have made up
        for Heather's hiking. One of my projects is to add it to our websites. So
        far, I have been too busy packing to do much on the computer ;-)

        The reports I get back from the trail indcate everything tried so far is
        yummy ;-) Yesterday Heather hiked into Manchester, VT and splurged on Chinese
        food! Sounds good to me, since that stretches when I need to resupply!

        OH.....I'm also supposed to mention that Heather has told practically every
        hiker she meets to join this list. Most were extremely enthusiastic ;-)