APPLICATION: Backpacker's Pantry

  • Andrew Priest
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2002
      Hi Ron

      I would like to apply to be one of the Backpacker's Pantry testers. I have
      read the requirements for being a tester and the reporting requirements and
      I AGREE to comply. I am familiar with the BGT Survival Guide. The last
      version printed and read is v. 0802. Thanks for the opportunity to apply
      for this test.

      PERSONAL BIOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION

      Andrew Priest
      42 Years old
      Male
      5' 11'' (178cms) in height
      232 lbs (105kgs) in weight
      Email address: mailto:apriest@...
      Reside in Perth, Western Australia, Australia
      Date of Application: September 1, 2002

      Backpacking Background:

      I have been hiking in Western Australia for approximately three years. The
      first year consisted of regular day hikes on tracks in the South-West of
      Western Australia including the Walyunga, John Forest and Serpentine
      National Parks. For the past three years I have been regularly walking with
      the Perth Bushwalkers Club on various hikes which have ranged from all
      on-track to all off-track day hikes, again in the Perth region. In 2001 I
      began leading day walks for the club (mixture of off and on track hikes)
      and started going on my own overnight hikes including an eight day hike on
      the Bibbulmun Track. In 2002 I am taking a more active role in the Perth
      Bushwalkers Club including leading an increasing number of day hikes and
      overnight hikes which will be both on and off track. I also regularly walk
      on the tracks in the largest native bush area within Perth, Bold Park.

      FIELD INFORMATION

      If I am accepted as a tester, I would test the meals on a number of
      backpacks forthcoming during September, October and November 2002 which are
      being undertaken in the South West of Western Australia.

      The hiking environment of the South West of Western Australia allows for
      hiking and backpacking from coastal plains to forested
      ranges. Elevation ranges from 0 feet to 1 920 feet. Within this region I
      hike in varying conditions from formed forestry roads, to sandy tracks to
      single purpose walking trails, to rock hopping, to beach walking to
      completely off-track through open and dense bush country.

      Weather conditions for this area range from hot summer conditions
      (generally dry but often punctuated by cyclones) from December to March to
      relatively mild Fall - Winter - Spring conditions from March through to
      December. During this the summer period day time temperatures average 86
      F, whereas from March through to December the day time average temperatures
      range from 59 F to 79 F. During the Fall, Winter, and Spring periods the
      normal weather pattern is fairly wet with frequent heavy rain storms
      evident. It does not normally snow in Western Australia.

      Fall, Winter and Spring months (March to December) are considered the
      normal or best backpacking and hiking months for this area.

      PROPOSED TEST PROGRAM

      Over the next two months I will be undertaking a three day backpack in mid
      September, one weekend backpack in early October and a seven day backpack
      in November. Ideally I would be interested in "testing" the selection from
      Backpacker's Pantry on this seven day backpack as this is the going to be
      the most demanding of the three upcoming backpacks.

      I am interested in the following selection:

      Backpacker's Pantry

      Freeze-Dried Strawberries
      Granola W/Blueberries & Whole Milk
      Spicy Cheese Omelette ( 2 serv.)
      No-Cook Thai Satay with Beef (2 serving)
      No-Cook Mashed Potatoes & Gravy with Beef (4 serving)
      No-Cook Sicilian Mixed Vegetables ( 2 serv.)
      Salsa ( 4 serv.)
      Cheese Cake ( 2 serv.)
      Apple D'Lite ( 4 serv.)

      Campfood

      Granola with Milk
      No-Cook Chicken with Rice
      No-Cook Peas
      Rice Pudding with Raisins

      PREVIOUSLY WRITTEN REPORTS

      BackpackGearTest Reports:

      Duray Socks - Completed -
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Hats%20Gloves%20Socks%20etc/Duray%20Socks/
      Birdiepal junior umbrella - Initial and Field -
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Rain%20Gear/Birdiepal%20Junior%20Umbrella/Andrew%20Priest
      Red Ledge Voyager - Initial and Field

      Owner's Reviews (in order of completion):

      April 6, 2002: Katadyn Micropur Forte
      January 26, 2002: Map Mate Digital Map Measurer
      January 17, 2002: Black Diamond Trekking Pole
      January 10, 2002: Macpac Cascade Trekking Pack

      Once again, thanks for the opportunity to apply for this test

      Regards
      Andrew Priest
      --
      Aushiker - Hiking in Western Australia - http://aushiker.com