Re: Jerry and Andy (save some postage)

  • starnescr
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2002
      Yea but... You know how ultralighters always holler about dual use
      items. Well this is a dual use test. Capacity and seam integrity.

      Oh, and a clarification on where the extension collar starts. It
      does in fact start at top of the frame sheet. The flaps on each side
      curve like a trapazoid go up to a point about 4 inches higher, but a
      load about 2 inches higher (than the actual pack or frame sheet)
      seems about where I would consider the full mark to be. BTW, the
      flap on the back (faurthest away from frame sheet side) dosen't go
      quite as high.

      Coy Boy

      --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Chief Moderator"
      <ChiefModerator@B...> wrote:
      > LOL. I'm not sure I'd recommend that procedure. But it is a great
      test
      > of the seem workmanship.... ;o)
      > Jerry

    • amytys
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2 4:28 PM
        This would defeat the purpose of what Jerry's now planning to do with
        packs. Use a close-to industry stardard pack measuring system
        using "Balls" supplied by Black Diamond - I believe Wayne Gregory
        uses uses balls to measure his packs as well.

        Having one person do the ritual, with the same "industry approved"
        set of tools, will come as close as possible to having a standardized
        system of measurement that delivers without biases.

        A good idea though.

        It may be a good test in general for seam strength and
        waterproofness. I would think that if no water will come out, no
        water would get in.

        The test I use for waterproofness is to hang a loaded pack (no down
        inside though), using a caribiner, off my basketball post and just
        spray it with the water hose for 15-minutes at various angles, using
        various "spray settings".

        Its not so much for the testing as much as to let my neighbors know
        that I still havn't gotten any help :)