Jerry and Andy (save some postage)

  • starnescr
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2002
      You guys could let Andy try this instead of shipping the pack back
      and forth. 1 gal. h20 = 231 cu, in. Put a trash bag inside the pack
      and see how much water it will hold. All the talk about pack volume
      got me curious as to how close the Ozone was to spec. Well I just
      got done checking mine. Two words of caution. Best if done outside
      and best with 2 helpers. I managed with my 13 yr, old daughter
      inside but we made a mess in the kitchen floor. Needed mopped
      anyway. I took a 33 gal trash bag and a plastic tea picture wit a
      gallon mark at the top and started adding water, At 7 gallons it was
      getting to be unmanagable so I inlisted my daughters help. She added
      the remaining water whill I did my best to keep the garbage bag from
      dipping below the waterline inside the pack and also keeping the
      pack from tilting over. We got 13 gallons inside when it reached
      the top of the frame sheet. without more hands I stoped here bu was
      still a few inches short of where the extension collar starts, I
      estimate I could have gotten at least one more gallon in but it was
      difficult to keep the water inside the garbage bag at this point. 13
      gallons would = 3003 cu.in. 14 would be 3234 cu. in so I feel safe
      to estimate the capacity at 3200 cubes. Water don't lie so this is a
      pretty reliable test. However It could damage the pack if not
      carefull. Water weight 8.34 lbs\gal. so my 13 gallons weighed 108.4
      lbs. I trid to dump it all at once once we got the pack about half
      empty. Ran the sink over big time but the 50 or so pounds didn't
      hurt the pack. Andy should be able to get about 9.5 gallons inside
      his pack if his calculations are close.

      Coy Boy
    • Chief Moderator
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 31, 2002
        LOL. I'm not sure I'd recommend that procedure. But it is a great test
        of the seem workmanship.... ;o)
        Jerry

        http://www.BackpackGearTest.org <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> :
        the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=229441.2311215.3726473.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=1705
        066005:HM/A=1189558/R=0/*http://www.bmgmusic.com/acq/ee/q6/enroll/mhn/9/

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Chief Moderator
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 31, 2002
          %^%&&$# stupid spell checker. seams....seam workmanship.....

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 31, 2002
            Yea but... You know how ultralighters always holler about dual use
            items. Well this is a dual use test. Capacity and seam integrity.

            Oh, and a clarification on where the extension collar starts. It
            does in fact start at top of the frame sheet. The flaps on each side
            curve like a trapazoid go up to a point about 4 inches higher, but a
            load about 2 inches higher (than the actual pack or frame sheet)
            seems about where I would consider the full mark to be. BTW, the
            flap on the back (faurthest away from frame sheet side) dosen't go
            quite as high.

            Coy Boy

            --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Chief Moderator"
            <ChiefModerator@B...> wrote:
            > LOL. I'm not sure I'd recommend that procedure. But it is a great
            test
            > of the seem workmanship.... ;o)
            > Jerry

          • amytys
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 2, 2002
              This would defeat the purpose of what Jerry's now planning to do with
              packs. Use a close-to industry stardard pack measuring system
              using "Balls" supplied by Black Diamond - I believe Wayne Gregory
              uses uses balls to measure his packs as well.

              Having one person do the ritual, with the same "industry approved"
              set of tools, will come as close as possible to having a standardized
              system of measurement that delivers without biases.

              A good idea though.

              It may be a good test in general for seam strength and
              waterproofness. I would think that if no water will come out, no
              water would get in.

              The test I use for waterproofness is to hang a loaded pack (no down
              inside though), using a caribiner, off my basketball post and just
              spray it with the water hose for 15-minutes at various angles, using
              various "spray settings".

              Its not so much for the testing as much as to let my neighbors know
              that I still havn't gotten any help :)